Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #154 '1966 Homecoming'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,920

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #154 '1966 Homecoming'

Sep 2, 2020, 9:25 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #154 '1966 Homecoming'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this time with little or no sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of the pho Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #154 '1966 Homecoming'

Sep 2, 2020, 9:45 AM

I think Judge Keller’s needs to get some of those Orange Straw Boaters. That would be really cool to see everyone wearing those in the stands this year! Of course, it would become my new go to Gameday hat!

Sep 2, 2020, 10:15 AM

The Athletic Department used to have boxes of them at Pep Rallies. In the late 70's some coeds could tilt the hat a little curl the Farrah Fawcwett hair dew around the lid.

The old scoreboard was awesome***

Sep 2, 2020, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 12:18 PM

A great year to graduate from CU, join the Navy and head to the Far East in 67. Like the orange
hats; a nice upgrade from the "rats" beanie cap worn as a freshman.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 12:24 PM

Awesome pictures, I wasn’t born until late ‘67 but I was probably there in my dads tool box. Didn’t know they had color that good then...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Look at the absence of Hill people!

Sep 2, 2020, 12:35 PM

1966 was a winning season (barely) at 6-4, but we lost to all three ranked teams that we played. We got shut out by two of them, Bama (26-0) and the real USC (30-0).

All was not gloom though, as we did dispatch the Chickens 35-10!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look at the absence of Hill people!

Sep 2, 2020, 1:52 PM

I was young but remember the ballerina on the hill. If I remember correctly, the Duke team had been doing ballet as part of their training.

Sep 2, 2020, 2:53 PM

that weekend has a special place in my heart.enough said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 2, 2020, 3:10 PM

I was at that game and I remember it as a good homecoming. I was a Senior (Class 0f 1967) and we were given those hats later in the year. I still have mine and I have worn it a couple of times with my orange coat and tiger tie. Also, I have good memories from my college years. There was a mention of the lack of people on the bank near the scoreboard. Tickets were sold to High School kids at a low cost and told to sit on the "GG", Green Grass. Also, I remember sitting on the hill as a youngster and sliding down the hill during the game. It didn't appear to be crowded when I was at Clemson and very few Clemson students sit there because we dressed up in coat and tie to attend the games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 11:10 PM

The game picture of students with straw hats is memorial for me. That was the senior section, and I'm in the bottom with the edges of my hat slightly turned up.

Those straw hats were introduced by a student organization for the Duke game that year. Only 2K hats were made initially, and all sold the first day. If I remember correctly, we paid $5 per hat.

That Duke game was Clemson's first game ever televised on color TV, and the idea of the hats was a great one. We won 9-6 on a long, circus TD catch by Phil Rogers late in the game. That was also the first TV game Keith Jackson announced.

Most of us kept those hats for years until they fell apart. I would love to find another one.

Sep 2, 2020, 10:54 PM

My freshman year - I was at that game. Wore that boater as a hitchhiking aid for ages. For months you'd see Clemson guys wearing those hats thumbing it on I-85 every weekend. Different times, for sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,920
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic