Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The SNL commerical about Zillow isn't that far off.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 610

The SNL commerical about Zillow isn't that far off.

Feb 11, 2021, 10:48 AM

Today's house of the day. Too bad its on the road to one of the 2 public boat landings in Mt P. I like the front door, but you'd spend a lot of time cleaning windows being its on a marsh.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/100-5th-Ave-Mount-Pleasant-SC-29464/2076647479_zpid/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The interior of that house screams "southern charm"

Feb 11, 2021, 10:50 AM

about as eloquently as a Long Island cab driver.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its certainly more modern

Feb 11, 2021, 10:56 AM

But its not all white and no barn doors, so there's that. I did the 3d walkthrough and it looks like the owner has a USC degree on the wall, so I'm going to assume he's a lawyer.

You inspired me to stalk

Feb 11, 2021, 11:24 AM

Guy got a bachelor's of marketing from USC. He works in marketing in Charleston, won't name the company. He and his wife (won't name) were married in 2009. She's the bride in the pictures. The house was sold on February 9th, HOWEVER, he's now being sued because the house is actually 3300 square feet, not 3600. He won't return the $50K earnest money.

I could go way deeper, but I'll stop......

It's probably still on the market, but keep in mind it's 3300 square feet. And don't trust the guy selling it, and know any future sale may be tied up a while in court.

Ivebeendoingthiswaaaaytoolong

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting that the buyer went through with the deal

Feb 11, 2021, 11:32 AM

Its really up to the buyer to verify square feet, if its that important to them. And its weirder that the buyer would dispute that with the seller after the sale. In that house, 300 sq ft isn't going to matter to the market, except for decreasing his property taxes. And who puts $50K earnest money on anything?

I'd bet something else is going on there other than that. Buyer probably thought he could put a dock in there, found out he couldn't, now wants out of the deal.

Square feets are a big deal.

Feb 11, 2021, 11:39 AM

They overpaid by 10%. But I agree, that should be their mistake to learn from. If I'm spending that kind of dough I'd have an appraisal and a home inspection in hand. Appraisal should have square feet. If different, then discuss.

Overpaid? I don't know what it closed for

Feb 11, 2021, 11:43 AM

as its still active contingent, but in this market, especially around here, overpaying is definitely subjective.

Every housing contract I have seen (including the one I cancelled yesterday) says that if sq ft are important to verify. That's the buyers problem..not the sellers.

Square feet I would think are pretty objective***

Feb 11, 2021, 11:46 AM

Here's kinda what I'm talking about

Feb 11, 2021, 12:17 PM

Not in SC, and certainly exaggerated, but would it matter price wise if this house was actually 1200 sq feet, as long as the layout was the same? I doubt the price would be any different.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/81212-Old-Hwy-Islamorada-FL-33036/2083808963_zpid/

Price per square foot is what sets market value.

Feb 11, 2021, 12:40 PM

When you run comparables, do an estimate, or whatever, yes, they matter. Locations, beach access, lake access, schools, all that subjective stuff plays into it. But the sale of the house itself is recorded in $$$ per square foot. In Manhattan property sells for $1700/sq foot. In my neighborhood, it's more like $110-120 a square foot. I would not sell my house for $80 a square foot, and I could not get $190 either.

But that is why square feet are so important, all other subjective aspects being equal. Houses in Mt. Pleasant go for around $230 a square foot, averaged. That house was on a prime piece of land, so it was more. But yes, the appraised value, the asset value, all of that is set by the square foot sales price.

And yes, all things being equal, if that same house was 1,200 square feet, it would be selling for more, unless they're asking a 1200 sq foot price given the comparables.

You're not wrong thats how price is recorded

Feb 11, 2021, 12:56 PM

But I disagree that is how price is determined.

This house is .4 miles away from the other Islamorada house I posted. Functionally, they are the same. Location is a wash. This one is 400 sq' larger, and has an additional bedroom:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/213-Palm-Ave-Islamorada-FL-33036/306091558_zpid/

But its $250K cheaper. The pool, the land size/layout and the renovation mean much more than the actual sq footage. The sellers of the first house will laugh at you when you try the "comp" thing of comparing price/ft^2 with the second house.

That might work in a high inventory market with many available comparable houses. Right now? Not so much.

Message was edited by: Ineligible user® because he posted the wrong Zillow link

Re: Interesting that the buyer went through with the deal

Feb 11, 2021, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Interesting that the buyer went through with the deal ]

I'll tell you who puts down 50K in earnest money, someone with a 60K house fund

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a side note, I can't blame the guy for the error on

Feb 11, 2021, 11:36 AM [ in reply to You inspired me to stalk ]

square footage. Heck, if/when I ever sell this house I have no clue what to list the square feets at.

Have an appraisal that says X,235, a builder with a contract and blueprints which say X,150, and somehow the tax assessor says X,998. I dunno. Glad the tax assessor is lowest though. But I don't have a clue.

When I sold my house last October, we had 3 different

Feb 11, 2021, 11:38 AM

measurements for sq ft. One from the builder, one from the appraiser, and one from the tax office. I think we took the one from the tax office, which was smallest.

That's the safest for the sale. If I had to that would be

Feb 11, 2021, 11:42 AM

my number to use. But you're leaving $$$ on the table if that's incorrect. I'd have it measured by someone who can vouch for the measurements. I mean we can put a man on the moon, why not know the exact square footage of something selling for 6 or 7 digits? I dunno.

In an inflated market market like this one, it doesn't

Feb 11, 2021, 11:48 AM

matter, really. I looked at a house Tuesday--2nd day on the market. By Wednesday morning it had 5 offers, and 2 more "in reserve". No one was worried about sq footage.

I looked at a house on Saturday that there was a realtor there prior to us doing a "virtual walk through"- meaning someone out of state was looking at the house on the realtors phone using facetime. No idea if those are the folks who bought it, but it went under contract that afternoon.

Re: In an inflated market market like this one, it doesn't

Feb 11, 2021, 1:46 PM

I sold my house on JI last summer in about 3 days, over asking price, competing offers, at a positively ludicrious $/ft2 for some rinky dink 20 year old tract house. Charleston has to be one of the best sellers markets anywhere.

Why is Fripp so much cheaper?

Feb 11, 2021, 10:51 AM

Or is it not....I was just browsing some the other day.

What is the bargain area not North Charleston?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Edisto Beach, I think. I've never looked at anything in

Feb 11, 2021, 10:53 AM

Fripp. I always heard it was expensive there?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3204-Palmetto-Blvd-Edisto-Island-SC-29438/75230333_zpid/

1/4th interest in the house? Am I reading that right?***

Feb 11, 2021, 11:22 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haa..­I didn't even see that.

Feb 11, 2021, 11:26 AM

I thought it seemed cheap. But even at $960K on ocean/inlet front that's cheap, comparatively.

Yeah, I was like FML, we getting beach front for a quarter

Feb 11, 2021, 11:26 AM

mil but that aint happening.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only 7.8k monthly payment!

Feb 11, 2021, 11:32 AM

Celtic could probably afford it with his deep pockets.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You teed that up perfectly

Feb 11, 2021, 11:35 AM

then tossed the club in the water hazard.

Re: The SNL commerical about Zillow isn't that far off.

Feb 11, 2021, 1:43 PM

Skinny black windows without shutters, beams, gold pendant lights, skinny gold framed circular and hexagonal mirrors, black & white everywhere, animal skin rugs...

Yeah, its the complete 2021 basic white woman interior design package. Needs more shiplap.

Replies: 24
| visibility 610
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic