Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could

Jun 30, 2017, 9:14 AM

go back and redo, what would it be? I'm thinking 4th and short vs. Pitt this past year. Would love to have been the first D1 team to go 15-0. There are a couple of others that came to mind but 15-0 would have been nice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could

Jun 30, 2017, 9:15 AM

that would be nice. but my first thought was punt rooskie

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2017, 9:17 AM

that was one of the others I had in mind along with the missed field goal vs. uscjr in 06.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^yes. This one still hurts***

Jun 30, 2017, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem with a question like this, is the butterfly effect.

Jun 30, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could ]

I'd like to say the play against BC where Matt Ryan threw across his body to the corner of the endzone to deny us an ACC title shot.

But what would that have meant for our current coaching situation if TB had gone on to win the ACC that year?

Or I'd love for a chance to re-kick against the Coots in 2006.

What about the botched snapped punt against Calvin Johnson and GT? Re-do that and it is game over...but once again, what would that have meant for following circumstances.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Problem with a question like this, is the butterfly effect.

Jun 30, 2017, 4:04 PM

It wasn't to the corner of the endzone if it is the play I'm thinking about. Ryan rolled out and then threw to the far side of the field and he had a guy wide open and he took it in for a TD. That play really hurt tho, you are 100% right

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely Puntrooskie.

Jun 30, 2017, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could ]

Even though we smoked them the next year IN Tallahassee, it still didn't satisfy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2017, 9:18 AM

The kickoff return for a td Alabama had in the first national championship game against us. We stop that we win the game

Jun 30, 2017, 7:40 PM

I agree. Or any defensive plays in that game that had Jayron Kearse/TJ Green on the field. They could not cover OJ Howard

Jun 30, 2017, 9:19 AM

I'm thinking the onside kick vs. Alabama in the 2015 National Championship!

Jun 30, 2017, 9:20 AM

my dumb butt didn't even think about 2015 NC game vs. Alabama.

I have something common with bob, SHORT term memory.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

MW7's injury play in 2015

Jun 30, 2017, 9:21 AM

We're TWO time champs if he's playing that year.

Re: MW7's injury play in 2015

Jun 30, 2017, 9:32 AM

Aren't we already 2 time champs? We would be 3 time champs had we won in 2015

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It could be argued that he would not have been back for 2016

Jun 30, 2017, 9:50 AM

had he not been injured in 2015.

I think if Mack Alexander and Shaq Lawson were healthy we would have won.

Bama fans say if Bo Scarborough was healthy they would've won this yr.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had MW7 not been injured in 2015

Jun 30, 2017, 9:49 AM [ in reply to MW7's injury play in 2015 ]

he'd have been gone to NFL after 2015. If we won it all in 2015, possibly a few others that stayed would have gone to NFL too (Gallman and Leggett). It's tough to call the what-if redo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Taking Reggie Merriweather out at the goal line!!***

Jun 30, 2017, 9:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Blast from the past there***

Jun 30, 2017, 9:52 AM

He was getting 11 yards a carry on that drive.***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Taking Reggie Merriweather out at the goal line!!*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It was about the 11 yard line I think.***

Jun 30, 2017, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Taking Reggie Merriweather out at the goal line!!*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thar still chaps my butt.***

Jun 30, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Taking Reggie Merriweather out at the goal line!!*** ]

Definitely in my top three redos.***

Jun 30, 2017, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Taking Reggie Merriweather out at the goal line!!*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I initially thought this too, but then again if that were

Jun 30, 2017, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Taking Reggie Merriweather out at the goal line!!*** ]

changed, we might have been stuck with TB longer.

Onside kick against Alabama in Glendale.

Jun 30, 2017, 9:26 AM

T

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without reading other posts first, my immediate thought was the onside kick

Jun 30, 2017, 9:26 AM

vs Bama in Phoenix. I think if we come up with that kick, we stay ahead of them and hold on for the national championship.

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Three come to mind

Jun 30, 2017, 9:32 AM

1) Puntrooskie
2) Ellington goal line fumble against WVU
3) Pick any blown OJ or special teams play against Alabama in our first CFP match up

This does not take into account subsequent program changes as a result of said action.

For example, if Ellington doesn't fumble then,maybe Steele doesn't get fired and then BV doesn't get hired and then there are no Alabama match ups, etc etc.

But on the surface, the three above I thought of first.

Agree with 1 and 3 for sure. Torn on #2 given where we have

Jun 30, 2017, 11:05 AM

gone since then. If Ellington scores and we compete in that game, do we end up with Venables? Guess you never know but everything since WVU has been awesome!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a good three as well.***

Jun 30, 2017, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Three come to mind ]

Obvious ones are the inside kick and kickoff return by Bama

Jun 30, 2017, 9:37 AM

in the 2015 natty game, but some others from my time really following the team:

2007 BC - either the Matt Ryan TD bomb or the AK drop in the EZ at the end

2004 GT - botched punt snap

2006 Maryland - pretty sure we had a horrible kickoff right after taking the lead that set MD up around midfield for an easy FG drive to win

2002 Texas tech - every. single. one.

Jun 30, 2017, 9:40 AM

Few thoughts:

1) If we beat Pitt, i don't think we win the NC. We needed to lose to feel the pressure
2) Ellington WV fumble on goal line
3) Mike Williams TD broken neck catch. If we have MW against Bama round 1, we win NC

Jun 30, 2017, 9:42 AM

I just can't help but imagine how endless this list would be if poasted on FGF.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Short term, Harpers fumble against USC in 09

Jun 30, 2017, 9:43 AM

If he doesn't fumble we take an early 2 or 3 score lead. USC would have quit. Spurrier goes into 10 on the hot seat. Probably doesn't get Lattimore or Clowney. We don't lose 5 in a row. But we also probably don't ratchet up the football program either.

Long term, Puntrooksie in 88 or the late turnover against Duke in 89. Either of those change and we're probably playing for a Natty one of those years.

Was Kevin Butler's kick 82 or 84?

1984. I was in the end zone where the kick landed :(***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:11 AM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So was I.***

Jul 1, 2017, 9:19 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jun 30, 2017, 9:51 AM

Some really good ones on here. I think I have to agree with the poster on the MW injury play. If we have him I don't think any of the busted plays against Alabama in 2015 would factor in. Bama was physically whipped after that game. I think with MW or even MA on the field the dagger could have been delivered in that game. We had the better team. We would've had 15-0 that year.

Jun 30, 2017, 9:55 AM

2015...whatever play Mackensie Alexander got hurt on.

Jun 30, 2017, 10:37 AM

Was going to say the same thing.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

DW Int in 2015 NC game

Jun 30, 2017, 9:57 AM

If he puts more air under it and hits ray-ray we go up two scores and the rout is on

Re: DW Int in 2015 NC game

Jun 30, 2017, 10:24 AM

^Bingo^
So many things went wrong that night.

Re: DW Int in 2015 NC game

Jul 1, 2017, 8:23 AM [ in reply to DW Int in 2015 NC game ]

Could not agree more. So many seem to think that onside kick was the key. To me that interception was it. If that is thrown proper, Bama is done.

Several INT into the right corner endzone come to mind.

Jun 30, 2017, 10:04 AM

Kyle Parker at Auburn (2010).

Sammy Watkins at South Carolina (2013).

Cole Stoudt at Tallahassee (2014).

Deshaun Watson vs Pitt (2016).

Jun 30, 2017, 10:07 AM

Jamie Harper fumble versus USuC in 2009. We had the momentum and the lead when the fumble seemed to take all of the wind out of our sails. We win that game and there is no "5-in-a-row" BS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Jun 30, 2017, 10:13 AM

I remember the opening game of the '08 season against 'Bama. We were picked in the pre-season Top 10 that year and UA was not rated - even though they won the NC that year!

Harper fumbled the first snap and set-up a 'Bama touchdown. We were never in sync that game.

Jun 30, 2017, 10:25 AM

Good call, but Bama didn't win that year. Bama lost to Florida in the SECCG. Gators beat OU for title. Bama won in '09.

aside from the obvious ones, Miami overtime game***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:19 AM

Stuckey was wide open in the endzone***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:41 AM

Re: aside from the obvious ones, Miami overtime game***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:44 AM [ in reply to aside from the obvious ones, Miami overtime game*** ]

Although this is not the biggest one, it was the first one that came to my mind. Whitehurst overthrowing a wide open Chansi Stuckey in the endzone. Would have been the game winner in regulation if I remember correctly. 2005?

Jun 30, 2017, 10:27 AM

Surprised no one said DW4 torn ACL. Or, since it has come out that DW4 was held back early in 2014 season because of spring game injury, surprised no one said this injury. Even though it wasn't during a game, I'd love to have that back.

Imagine DW4 starting as true freshman at UGA, leads to victory, or possibly starting at FSU two weeks later. Doesn't get hurt against GT later in year. Who knows that that season would've turned out.

KEEP REGGIE IN.***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:39 AM

Re: KEEP REGGIE IN.***

Jun 30, 2017, 10:46 AM

It didn't cost Clemson a game but that no rush defense against VaTech in the ACC title game a few months ago was really strange. The Hokie qb had about 15 seconds to find an open receiver and that led to a td, which totally changed the mood of the game. I said at the time and I'll say it again- hope I never see the Tigers do that again.

Godsey to Watkins in 2000

Jun 30, 2017, 10:43 AM

Gtech at Clemson in 2000. Clemson was #5 and undefeated. I think FSU was next week also.

I almost threw up when he caught that ball one handed.

Re: Godsey to Watkins in 2000

Jun 30, 2017, 10:51 AM

I was returning from a business trip and was at the airport when I heard about Clemson's undefeated 2000 season going up in smoke in that GaTech game. What made it worse was that the Tigers had to play at FSU the next week and got demolished. So much for that season.

Jun 30, 2017, 10:54 AM

3rd and goal at the end vs Miami in 05. That would have made a memorable game epic. Whitehurst overthrew stuckey and had a wide open tight end on the right side.

I think momentum from that may have brought more success in that era.

15-0 can be achieved this year or next

Jun 30, 2017, 11:07 AM

Puntrooskie all the way for me!

Or maybe that Ellington "fumble" vs WVU***

Jun 30, 2017, 11:08 AM

Davidson fumble at end of regulation in '14 FSU game***

Jun 30, 2017, 11:11 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't change anything about last year because we

Jun 30, 2017, 11:22 AM

won the NC in spite of the loss and a few bad games.

I wouldn't even change puntrooskie because we also lost to NC State that year.

I'd go to the 2016 national championship game and change either OJ Howard's shovel pass that turned into a big, big gain or the KO return for a touchdown by Alabama. I think we win that game if either of those two plays are taken away.

Jun 30, 2017, 11:31 AM

Blocked extra point in 1939 against Tulane. Haunted me for years

Jun 30, 2017, 11:40 AM

dang man...how old are you?

Jun 30, 2017, 3:45 PM

Lol, 46. Just figured to throw some knowledge

Jun 30, 2017, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: If there was one play in Clemson Football history you could ]

Lol, 46. Just figured to throw some knowledge

Thought for a second you are Joe21's twin***

Jun 30, 2017, 8:00 PM

Ben Boulware's attempt to scoop-and-score vs SCar

Jun 30, 2017, 3:14 PM

It would've been nice to beat them 63-7, largest margin of victory in the series, and for BB to have a touchdown vs Gamecocks in his final game against them. And I think that this may have been enough for Bentley and Gamecock Nation to realize that, yes, we really were that much better than they were.

Oh what could have been....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Puntrooskie. No doubt in my mind.

Jun 30, 2017, 5:59 PM

FSU and CU in a knockdown drag out. Would not have a guaranteed a win, but CU had the momentum. They should have been able milk the clock, drive down the field and kick the winning field goal at least.

Jun 30, 2017, 6:53 PM

I agree with many of you, the on-side kick by Bamer in the NC. But second would be the Nov 19, 1977 vs #5 Notre Dame. They were insulted to even have to travel to Clemson and play a cow college. That started the orange overalls.

Notre Dame scored first but trailed 17-7 heading into the fourth quarter. Montana sneaked across from the two and won in the final quarter as we turned ball over four times, three of them on fumbles at critical times Give us back just one of those turnovers.

Long, sad, quiet, trek back to Lever. Revenge was a long time coming.

Jun 30, 2017, 9:25 PM

I was one sad 12 year old that day in The Valley....

https://youtu.be/xls_ii9yCRY

that's easy

Jun 30, 2017, 9:58 PM

stuff puntrooski

Not top one to redo but an interesting one is...

Jul 1, 2017, 9:16 AM

the decision to not let DW4 continue as QB the rest of the 2015 LegHumper game in Athens after DW4 drove us down the field like a 5th year senior.

Keep him in and I am 100% convinced we win that game and then who knows.

Again, it doesn't trump the puntrooskie, etc but it was a critical play for that season which might have been an even more special one with Watson as a freshman.

When I was a student, that game against GT in '04 where we f'ed that snap...

Jul 1, 2017, 9:48 AM

At the end of the game and GAVE GT the game still ticks me off.

The first Bama title game and any scar win is more important, but to lose that game the way we did. JUST A DECENT SNAP TO THE PUNTER AND WE WIN!!!

But no. Bouncing snap to the punter and Calvin Johnson to win it.

Arrrrrgh. Worst game ever! Probably why I hate GT more than most.

~JKB

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic