Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
what are t-nets most important parts of judging a coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

what are t-nets most important parts of judging a coach?

Mar 29, 2017, 12:45 PM

it seems to me we have a ton of win-at-all-costs type guys on this board. Yes, i want to win. i want to be in the final four. Yes, i'd love to see BB winning more than 17 games a year, but do graduation rates, quality human beings, and no violations not hold any weight to you guys?

i guess what i'm asking is, would u take a sweet 16 appearance if it meant we would be facing NCAA violations over having a decent basketball team with a coach who produces quality human beings?

Dabo Swinneys (who balances both winning and quality kids) dont come along everday.

just asking...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think a good way to judge is by jimmies and joes.

Mar 29, 2017, 12:51 PM

In other words is recruiting at a high level? Is the coach going after top tier talent? If he is and he's not getting commitments why is that ? Is it something that can be improved? After recruiting then I view the team's record and post season play important in judging success.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell has definitely upgraded the talent recently.

Mar 30, 2017, 10:01 AM

The transfers, plus his best recruiting class coming in this year, will be difference makers. He has definitely been going after top talent in recent years, and has just missed on several of them. I do think recruiting will continue to improve with the new facility. My main concern right now is the fact that he did not get an extension from Brownell. I feel that this was essential for recruiting purposes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I think a good way to judge is by jimmies and joes.

Mar 30, 2017, 1:05 PM [ in reply to I think a good way to judge is by jimmies and joes. ]

If U are waiting on BB 2 recruit @ a high level I hope U are a YOUNG MAN!!He ahs NEVER RECRUITED ONE HIGH LEVEL recruit BUT he is comfortable being a complete FAILURE!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

winning the right way, period.

Mar 29, 2017, 12:55 PM

but winning is part of that standard. NCAA violations are not.

Yes, coaches like Dabo and Monte don't come along everyday, but they are out there and Clemson should be a place that they would want to coach. Getting them can be expensive. Having the facilities that helps them recruit the caliber of player needed is expensive. Our admin has to support that and insist on the above mentioned standard in return.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: what are t-nets most important parts of judging a coach?

Mar 29, 2017, 12:57 PM

Just ask Dabo, he is a coach, and he can put all good in the same package. That is my way of judging a good coach, ha has it all!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not having a pre-game injury report like this:

Mar 29, 2017, 12:58 PM

https://twitter.com/AWoolley42/status/815228933817909249

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

which is weird because "NO GUNS" is a UL Core Value

Mar 29, 2017, 1:01 PM

That tells you everything you need to know about their recruiting pool.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Boys will be boys***

Mar 29, 2017, 1:03 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Wrong! You can be whatever you feel you are today

Mar 30, 2017, 10:16 AM

so long as it gets NCAA tourney games back in your state ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh Snap!!! This Crazy!!***

Mar 29, 2017, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Not having a pre-game injury report like this: ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Mar 29, 2017, 1:03 PM

1) Wins
2) Chmapionships
3) Graduating Players
4) Clean Program

1 and 2 can flip flop depending on the sport.

Football Baseball and Basketball have different expectations

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

W-W-W-W-W-W-W-W-W-L-W-56-7-ACCCG-CFP-NATTY TITLE (14-1)

Mar 29, 2017, 1:07 PM

I think this is a good indicator.

if i could duplicate what happened in football & basketball

Mar 29, 2017, 1:14 PM

this year from now until the end of time I would.

so basically keep brownell and continue winning NCs in football and I'm good.

If we had a horrendous football season and south carolina won the CFP and a final 4 appearance in basketball I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about how bad this past football season was.

USC fans are the same way, they just won't admit it right now

Mar 29, 2017, 1:38 PM

for one, dancing ability is critical. next would be attire. after that, its all about the hair.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mar 29, 2017, 1:44 PM

Each sports program has specific targets. In general I expect the head coach to pursue up to the legal limit the best players in that sport. Don't be afraid to try to get the best. You may get the answer no but don't stop. Hire top recruiting assistants. Run a program that puts a premium on putting kids in the pros. Have a brand you call your own. As for evaluating coaches, it's first wins. It's the only true unbiased standard. Making the big dance,CWS, or the college football playoffs are paramount. You won't every year but at least make them on a regular basis. Brownell one time in seven years? Graduation rates matter and should be the third factor. That stat can be skewed by the early exits by players to the NFL and NBA. A true freshman at Duke just declared for the NBA. Being a good person is very important. You don't want felons on your team.

A Basketball version of Dabo is EXACTLY what I want.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:03 PM

And there is absolutely no reason, other than just always settling for less, that we could not find one. But, maybe BB will be a really late bloomer like Frank Beamer was at Va Tech. (Or, I could suddenly grow wings out my #### and learn to fly tomorrow, either one.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Basketball version of Dabo is EXACTLY what I want.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:32 PM

This is exactly what I want as well. To use the "do things the right way and lose, or do things the wrong way and win" is yet another lazy excuse not to be great in basketball in Clemson. There's no way you can convince me that graduating good people and winning can't be done at the same time.

Wife. Shows how well he can recruit.***

Mar 29, 2017, 2:11 PM

Re: Wife. Shows how well he can recruit.***

Mar 29, 2017, 2:18 PM

This incoming class is his best to date. Most of the other offers were mid major schools. He won't recruit the AAU leagues because of the cutthroat ethics. That's where the talent is.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:52 PM

Holy crap you are incredibly full of ####...

"Most of the other offers were mid major schools."

Trapp had offers from - Scar, GT, UGA, Kansas St, Missouri

William had offers from - UConn, WVU

Simms had offers from - Miami, Pitt, Iowa St, ND, VT, Penn St, Cinci, Kansas St, Georgetown, UGA, Florida, GT

Oliver wasnt recruited hard because everyone knew he was a Clemson lock. He still had a Texas Tech offer.

In other words you are full of #### you pathetic piece of garbage troll. You are the lowest of life forms congrats.

Mar 29, 2017, 9:44 PM

I am shocked the loud mouth ran away from this post /s

Mar 30, 2017, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Wife. Shows how well he can recruit.*** ]

Tiger Michael

Those are mid majors?

Mar 29, 2017, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Wife. Shows how well he can recruit.*** ]

ninetytwotiger®

Congrats on liking a post that is 100% factually inaccurate.

I just want a nice good guy as coach.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:18 PM

Wins and losses aren't a good gauge of success.

Re: I just want a nice good guy as coach.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:21 PM

I love your sarcasm. Drad thinks that way though.

i was mainly looking for u to answer me, tiger michael....

Mar 29, 2017, 2:36 PM

u seem to be a win-at-all-costs kinda guy

Re: i was mainly looking for u to answer me, tiger michael....

Mar 29, 2017, 2:37 PM

thats because she's a coot

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: i was mainly looking for u to answer me, tiger michael....

Mar 29, 2017, 3:04 PM [ in reply to i was mainly looking for u to answer me, tiger michael.... ]

If I was win at all costs then breaking the rules would be no problem. I'm not for buying players but you take the rules right up to the line. It's not win at all costs to expect your basketball coach to make the NCAAs on a regular basis. Gotfried made multiple tournament appearances but was still fired. It s not win at all costs to expect your coach to put a product on the floor which attracts fans and recruits. If we recruit players based on their gpas and not on their basketball skills, fans won't be there to watch. Good people aside,it's about winning. I'm going to use football for one example. What was Mike Williams gpa at Clemson? What was Gallmans gpa? Nobody cares because they led us to a natty. We weren't sitting in Death Valley last season thinking about the players academics. It's about wins and losses. Brownell had not passed that test.

as 07 stated clearly

Mar 29, 2017, 3:05 PM

not only have you never played a sport, you literally have no f'n clue what you're talking about.

Re: as 07 stated clearly

Mar 30, 2017, 11:31 AM

Why was Bowden fired at Clemson? Why was Hatfield fired at Clemson? Why was West fired at Clemson? They were all good guys but didn't put championship teams on the field.

Mar 30, 2017, 11:35 AM

autopost #22,222. keep em coming goachmac

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2017, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: as 07 stated clearly ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21332782#21332782

still waiting

Re: I just want a nice good guy as coach.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I just want a nice good guy as coach. ]

ya think? or you know? because its clear you don't know much of anything

DRad wants the same things we want, but he has to...

Mar 29, 2017, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I just want a nice good guy as coach. ]

look at the positives and try to make those sound good. I was being sarcastic, but I know D Rad truly doesn't think that.

Re: DRad wants the same things we want, but he has to...

Mar 29, 2017, 10:29 PM

He can't believe what he was saying.

Re: DRad wants the same things we want, but he has to...

Mar 30, 2017, 11:46 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21332782#21332782

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic