Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fellow Cord Cutters (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Fellow Cord Cutters (Long)

May 14, 2019, 12:13 PM

About a year ago, I cut off Directv and my allin monthly cost of directV with all my TVs and yada, yada, yada was about 147 bucks a month. I never had a problem with DirectV other than the constant battle to renegotiate my price. It just seemed to HIGH.

I had a month between contract assignments so I did a "bake-off" with free trials from,

-Hulu Live (I really wanted this one to win but the user interface was the worst out there, you cant browse live tv in anyway that makes sense and unless you know exactly what you want o watch you are left in a sea of icons)

-Sling (No Local channels - Don't want an antenna and the user interface was awful for me

-YoutubeTv (My winner, simple grid for browsing Live Tv , unlimited DVR, plenty of other content and streamed beautifully all over the house. I have been super happy with them!)

-Directv Now (i eliminagted Directv now because of price and some minor buffering issues)

NOW my issue. You Tube will not get off their #### and add the ACC network. Hulu has it , bu their interface sucks, Directv is out for me.

I have paused my Youtube TV for 8 weeks , and signed up for Playstation Vue TV. I guess I am old , I didnt test it before because I thought it was a gaming hing etc. You do not have to have a playstation etc, works just like the other services. Has a great grid , has announced the ACC network, has plenty of DVR,and 5 simultaneous screens. I am giving it a try. So far , ,I think it is a winner. It is about 15 dollars higher than Youtube TV, but has some more content hat the wife likes. It also has NFL network, RedZone lots of other sports espn 3 watch espn SEC Big10 . I have sent Youtube Tv another message saying that I wan the ACC network but that I am on pause with them and have jumped ship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get cable.

May 14, 2019, 12:14 PM

Works great.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Get cable.

May 14, 2019, 12:23 PM

Works great.

Talk t o me when they add the ACC Network

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ll probably forget.***

May 14, 2019, 12:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Get cable.

May 14, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Get cable. ]

cable is user unfriendly

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fellow Cord Cutters (Long)

May 14, 2019, 12:29 PM

I might consider dropping Directv, if I could get all the weird stuff my wife watches. I'll have to check out some of these that you mentioned and see if they have the quality stuff we guys watch, and the weird stuff our wives watch. That's a huge range of programming, and not sure if it's even possible.

May 14, 2019, 1:05 PM

Vue has ther most weird stuff,
HGTV, DIY , HallMark, all the Cooking stuff. etc most streaming services dont have Hallmark for some reason

Re: Fellow Cord Cutters (Long)- keep us posted

May 14, 2019, 12:43 PM

I may cut the cord but the wife must have access to Hallmark Channel which makes it tough. I blame swoff for this ACC network junk. Should have gotten that operating years ago but he had to keep hanging with Raycom to support his son and buddies

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The best thing about Hallmark is you only have to see the

May 14, 2019, 5:35 PM

last 5 minutes when it all comes together.

I have ended up with PSVue as well for now. Using the DVR

May 14, 2019, 1:02 PM

with football games was a pain. All the college football games have the same name, so when you set it to record you get ALL college football, not just the game you want. You then have to search inside the recordings to find the Clemson game. It's a bit easier to go backwards through the menu and click on the game when it was played. I think you can go back 3 days, and if you recorded it, you can watch it from there on the menu where you know it originally aired. I am considering youtubetv since they just added some of the channels my Wife likes to watch. "Hear" the DVR is easier to work with.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have ended up with PSVue as well for now. Using the DVR

May 14, 2019, 1:07 PM

Lakedude® said:

with football games was a pain. All the college football games have the same name, so when you set it to record you get ALL college football, not just the game you want. You then have to search inside the recordings to find the Clemson game. It's a bit easier to go backwards through the menu and click on the game when it was played. I think you can go back 3 days, and if you recorded it, you can watch it from there on the menu where you know it originally aired. I am considering youtubetv since they just added some of the channels my Wife likes to watch. "Hear" the DVR is easier to work with.

Youtube Tv is easier /better DVR , but no ACC network . At least not yet

May 14, 2019, 1:29 PM

I think you need to try Hulu Live again. Separate user profiles for myself, the wife, and 2 kids so we can each keep track of shows we want to watch.
It is easy to see what's on live TV, go up a level from your 'home' start screen then just click on the 'Live TV' thingy up there at the top. You get a list of recently watched channels with what's on now, when it ends, and what is next on each channel. One bump over is a list of all channels with the same info.

May 14, 2019, 2:19 PM

earletiger said:

I think you need to try Hulu Live again. Separate user profiles for myself, the wife, and 2 kids so we can each keep track of shows we want to watch.
It is easy to see what's on live TV, go up a level from your 'home' start screen then just click on the 'Live TV' thingy up there at the top. You get a list of recently watched channels with what's on now, when it ends, and what is next on each channel. One bump over is a list of all channels with the same info.

HULU is actually still active at the house, a free trial in my wife's name . I will take another look , but all of them let me make profiles for different viewer habits. I just want a regular grid sometimes when I want to scroll through whats on live now. Why Hulu and Sling think that they had to re-invent the wheel for such a simple task is beyond me. It is like putting separate little menus at a resturant inside a bigge menu for each type of food. I just want to see the dang menu not have the interface tell me what I want to watch. I am fine with having all the other interfaces, but my goodness HULU/SLING how hard is a GRID with Time across the top and channels down the left side? Give me that option please!

I had YoutubeTV for football season last year and it was

May 14, 2019, 2:38 PM

fantastic. Unfortunately they added some channels recently (Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, etc) and raised their price $10 a month. Given the quality of the service i think $50 is still a very competitive price in the live TV streaming market, but the deal breaker right now is not having ACCN. If they pick it up before football season i will consider renewing my subscription with them.

At the moment I'm planning to give Hulu Live a shot. I believe it also comes with access to their streaming library which is quite good and something that i already subscribe to at times throughout the year. The interface for their streaming app was never too bad.

If i don't like Hulu Live I'll give PS Vue a shot.

May 14, 2019, 2:47 PM

let me know when you find a streaming service that can be connected to a sony console television circa 1994. Until then it is cable for me...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 2:50 PM

let me know when you find a streaming service that can be connected to a sony console television circa 1994. Until then it is cable for me...

It can easily be done today. You just need the correct parts. Basically you would do it with the same adapters that you may have at one tim used to hook up a video game. Your picture is still going to stink however.

Upgrade...

May 14, 2019, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Fellow Cord Cutters (Long) ]

Like I did.

I wish I could

May 14, 2019, 5:30 PM

but we live next to a highway over pass that blocks most of the sky.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure TBalm is pulling our legs but, when you can get a

May 14, 2019, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Fellow Cord Cutters (Long) ]

42 inch LED for $150, which is likely much bigger than your 1994 Sony, and you can keep the Sony to use as a table to sit your new flat screen on, what are you waiting on? Time to upgrade, Balm!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I found that YouTubeTV had the best overall package...

May 14, 2019, 3:32 PM

...but I also sent them a request for ACCN. Of course my beef with the streaming services is that they are trying to hard to be the cable TV company we despise. Add channels we don't want and jack up the monthly cost. Did these dumbchits hire some former cable execs to expand their business?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 5:47 PM

What about DISH? Are they going to carry ACC Network? BTW, Disney purchased Hulu today, don’t know if that will make it better or worse.

Re: Fellow Cord Cutters (Long)***

May 14, 2019, 5:53 PM

I'm a cheapass when it comes to certain things, but

May 14, 2019, 6:03 PM

TV is not one of them. One of my few indulgences. Top quality hot dogs, toilet paper, and satellite TV are all worth every extra penny.

Streaming TV is like stepping back in a technology timewarp. Minutes behind live action, clarity goes in and out, picture buffers, lack of key channels, can't change channels quickly (I'm a channel hopper, I hate commercials). If I'm gonna invest in a giant HDTV with all the bells and whistles, I want the best content possible.

Streaming is just not a mature enough media yet for me. It's like playing AM radio on your massive stereo home theatre. Just reading the never ending string of complaints from "cord-cutters" on this board and many other places makes the decision easy, IMO. Wake me up in a few years when it catches up to satellite and cable. Meanwhile, I'll continue to happily pay extra for the convenience of reliable, sharp HDTV. It amounts to about a cup of coffee every day what you save. Since I don't drink coffee, I'm not losing out on much of anything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a cheapass when it comes to certain things, but

May 14, 2019, 7:42 PM

Really not sure what experience you have with streaming , but I have lost nothing that I care about , have saved over 100 dollars a month in the last year. I have a very high quality picture and the slight delay about 7 seconds is about like directv and dish

I agree on quality. Maybe better than my old DTV. But there

May 14, 2019, 7:50 PM

can be some significant delays. Was watching a basketball game and talking to my Dad on the phone, who was watching the same game on his Directv. Had to be a good 45 second delay on my end. He was a couple of plays ahead of me. I was surprised it was that much.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a Roku TV set up right next to my DirecTV

May 14, 2019, 9:39 PM

My internet feed is pegged "4K quality" when I do the streaming speed test, the highest the meter will register.

To test, I have watched the same ESPN game on both TVs. The Roku is generally about 3 pitches behind DTV in baseball, or 2 plays in football, about a minute or so. I'll also have a live Clemson game on the radio sometimes. DirecTV is about 7-8 seconds behind the live WCCP radio call, and the Roku is way behind, about the length of an entire commercial break (2 minutes?). And the Roku, according the broadcast (ACC Network vs a real ESPN network game) blinks in and out of clear perfect HD to a LD picture, and back (on my 70"TV alot, it doesn't tend to do it very much on my small 40" one). And the buffering. way less than it used ti, but it still does. Usually at a terrible time.

And I can instantly rewind, slo-mo, whatever on the DirecTV cast, and then pop right back to live action. Invaluable to me.

Again, if you like to save your $50-75 a month, that's awesome for you. But that savings is not worth it to me. The "sensitivity" of streaming is too much for me to tolerate just to save a few bucks.

Re: I have a Roku TV set up right next to my DirecTV

May 15, 2019, 10:56 AM

scooter said:

My internet feed is pegged "4K quality" when I do the streaming speed test, the highest the meter will register.

To test, I have watched the same ESPN game on both TVs. The Roku is generally about 3 pitches behind DTV in baseball, or 2 plays in football, about a minute or so. I'll also have a live Clemson game on the radio sometimes. DirecTV is about 7-8 seconds behind the live WCCP radio call, and the Roku is way behind, about the length of an entire commercial break (2 minutes?). And the Roku, according the broadcast (ACC Network vs a real ESPN network game) blinks in and out of clear perfect HD to a LD picture, and back (on my 70"TV alot, it doesn't tend to do it very much on my small 40" one). And the buffering. way less than it used ti, but it still does. Usually at a terrible time.

And I can instantly rewind, slo-mo, whatever on the DirecTV cast, and then pop right back to live action. Invaluable to me.

Again, if you like to save your $50-75 a month, that's awesome for you. But that savings is not worth it to me. The "sensitivity" of streaming is too much for me to tolerate just to save a few bucks.

Accepting that that there i delay of whatever length you are seeing. I have a hard time understanding how that is an issue if the other is not beside it? But , as far as features. PSVue for example records everything that is live for the past 3 hours. You can back up , pause switch start from the beginning a show that you forgot to DVR etc.

DirectV will be out of the DISH delivered business except in places that internet is not available in 5 years. That is what Directv Now is all about. They pay a fortune to manufacture hardware and cabling and etc today. BTW , if you are using their newest equipment , that is wireless in your house, you cant compare without adding the cost of your wifi today to your Directv bill.

Since I have, for the past year, had YouTubeTV AND DirectTV

May 14, 2019, 10:15 PM [ in reply to I'm a cheapass when it comes to certain things, but ]

and can address some of your comparisons.

Streaming isn't "minutes" behind satellite, more like 20 seconds!

I promise you I switch channels much quicker on YouTube! I can even hover over a channel, without ever even going to it, and see the score of a game without even clicking on the channel!

If you are having clarity and buffering issues, that's a problem with your internet provider & download speed.

I get EVERY sports channel I am even remotely interested in, on You Tube. They don't have ACCN yet, but I bet they will by the August startup. or I will switch to PS Vue.

You may ask why I still have both? Well, Direct TV (their Choice package plus Sports pack), cost me a net of $31 per month for the past 12 months, and I just got a new deal at $55 per month, with only a one month commitment, plus they sent me a $200 Visa card! They also gave me another free season of NFL Sunday Ticket, so I may stay with them through football season, just so I can watch all the Texans & Raiders games!

If I decide to drop it after one month, they are paying me $145 to keep it for that month!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One other advantage with streaming...not losing your signal

May 14, 2019, 10:19 PM

during a bad rainstorm! Sometimes, not even a really bad one!

Re: Since I have, for the past year, had YouTubeTV AND DirectTV

May 15, 2019, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Since I have, for the past year, had YouTubeTV AND DirectTV ]

and can address some of your comparisons.

Streaming isn't "minutes" behind satellite, more like 20 seconds!

I promise you I switch channels much quicker on YouTube! I can even hover over a channel, without ever even going to it, and see the score of a game without even clicking on the channel!

If you are having clarity and buffering issues, that's a problem with your internet provider & download speed.

I get EVERY sports channel I am even remotely interested in, on You Tube. They don't have ACCN yet, but I bet they will by the August startup. or I will switch to PS Vue.

You may ask why I still have both? Well, Direct TV (their Choice package plus Sports pack), cost me a net of $31 per month for the past 12 months, and I just got a new deal at $55 per month, with only a one month commitment, plus they sent me a $200 Visa card! They also gave me another free season of NFL Sunday Ticket, so I may stay with them through football season, just so I can watch all the Texans & Raiders games!

If I decide to drop it after one month, they are paying me $145 to keep it for that month!

How many TV's do you have in your house that are getting Directv for the prices that you are quoting?

Just one TV***

May 15, 2019, 9:42 PM

Tried a bunch...like YouTube best

May 14, 2019, 9:10 PM

Hoping they will get the ACCN before August, if not, time to switch again.

I will be very surprised if YouTube doesn't have ACCN when

May 14, 2019, 10:21 PM

it starts up in August!

Nobody has the ACCN yet! I'm betting YouTube will have it

May 14, 2019, 10:23 PM

when it starts up in August!

In his post he says Playstation had announced

May 14, 2019, 11:12 PM

It and Hulu will have it.

Does playstation have ESPNU?

May 14, 2019, 11:10 PM

I am sick of charter jacking up my bill.

Might be time for me to jump on board. I already have hulu and Netflix.

Re: Does playstation have ESPNU?

May 15, 2019, 6:42 AM

I am sick of charter jacking up my bill.

Yes PlayStation has all the espns

Might be time for me to jump on board. I already have hulu and Netflix.

May 15, 2019, 12:13 AM

I've considered cutting the cord but by the time I pay for Internet and whichever streaming service(s) I want I determined I would only save like $50 month and its just not worth that to have to go through the effort and ultimately have far fewer viewing choices than before.

So...you aren't going to have internet regardless?

May 15, 2019, 5:25 AM

I think 98% of folks will have internet, whether they stream or not. So, you can't add your internet cost into your cost of streaming!

Re: So...you aren't going to have internet regardless?

May 15, 2019, 9:13 AM

Correct but when I bundle it versus just getting it by itself its much cheaper. So if my current cable bills $150 a month including internet and I get rid of cable my stand alone Internet price is around $65. That means by the time I add in streaming I'm already back over $100 month anyway so why bother.

May 15, 2019, 9:28 AM

Correct but when I bundle it versus just getting it by itself its much cheaper. So if my current cable bills $150 a month including internet and I get rid of cable my stand alone Internet price is around $65. That means by the time I add in streaming I'm already back over $100 month anyway so why bother.

Sorry to keep asking you questions, just trying to understand how yours is different than all the work I put in to bundle drive down costs and negotiate with Directv. I put a HUGE amount of time in that before deciding to cut the cord. You have to have at LEAST the choice package to get all the espns, and there is a small add onthat you have have to get the regional sports package, if you want out of market regionals there is another add on. How many TVs is it all on ? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5?

I need 5 , but have been t old that even in DirecTvs all in one price package they support only 3 remote devices with out add ons? If you only have 1 or 2 TVs , I might could see how you did it.

If I can get 5 TVs and my internet and ability to watch remote on phone tablet or Hotel Tvs for a total of 150 , I wan that deal.

May 15, 2019, 10:42 AM

I've only got one TV so that may be where the discrepancy lies between our situations.

May 15, 2019, 10:47 AM

I've only got one TV so that may be where the discrepancy lies between our situations.

Yep that makes a huge difference for cord cutting. The directV cost pretty much doubles compared to what you are paying if you need three or more TVs and what the DVR watching on all of them etc.

And...

May 15, 2019, 10:59 AM

1. When you have multiple devices like tablets, smart phone, etc. much easier and seamless to quickly stream like while sitting in the car.
2. With a streaming stick, easy to take on trips and plug into someone else's TV and watch like you're at home.
3. DVR built is cloud based. Watch your recorded stuff anywhere in the world.
4. The occasional hard disk crash of the Spectrum DVR. You either lose a show or everything recorded when you have to swap out the DVR. Happened to me a couple of times.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just had hard disk crash

May 15, 2019, 10:47 PM

May 15, 2019, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: So...you aren't going to have internet regardless? ]

Here are some Facts, for me at least. If you are a one TV family it may be not a big savings.

first couple are of my internet service , speed and price. (this is the permanent price and does include a land line for emergency services.

Secondly is the regular total recurring Youtube Tv price that I have been paying for the past year approximately. They are going up by 9 bucks I think more to price competitively than the crap channels they added. I have gotten every sports game I wanted since cutting the cord. I have 5 TVs in the house all on Wifi and have streamed them all at one time without issue.

PICTURES of Bills 90.61 all in NET, Voice, YouTubeTV, & all fees 5 TVs , and available on all my Iphones , tablets, and a portable Roku I take with me to hotels for travel.

Message was edited by: EssoClub2®

May 15, 2019, 10:50 AM

I pay 30 bucks/month for 300mbps internet and I split YoutubeTV with a coworker. I have everything that I want for 55 bucks/month.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 11:01 AM

I pay 30 bucks/month for 300mbps internet and I split YoutubeTV with a coworker. I have everything that I want for 55 bucks/month.

TIDBIT Of Info that I just discovered yesterday. I am a happy YoutubeTV user that is looking to change only because of the pending ACC Network. I thought Playstation Vue was that answer.

BAD News, while they allow up to 5 simultaneous screens. Your portable devices are the only screens that work when you travel. If someone is at home, my situation a lot, If i hook a Roku up to my hotel tV i will get disconnected as soon as someone at my home location turn PSVue on.

That is aimed directly at "bill splitters".

That does not happen with YoutubeTv or Hulu.

Yeah, YouTube even advertises the fact you can share with

May 15, 2019, 9:49 PM

friends and family, in different homes.

May 15, 2019, 11:08 PM

How much per
Month for 3 TVs?

I'm giving YouTube until August before I switch

May 15, 2019, 11:08 PM

to Playstation Vue. I like YouTube much better than Vue, but like everyone else, the ACCN is a must.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic