Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Napier vs. Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Napier vs. Dabo

Nov 18, 2020, 2:02 PM

What's the story here? I remember our offense was horrid back in those days. So glad we moved on from Napier but I know he's a good recruiter.

Was there then and is there still now bad blood between them? I hear Napier doesn't like Dabo at all.

Anyone have the scoop?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Napier was not a fit for the offense Dabo wanted to run,

Nov 18, 2020, 2:17 PM

Dabo wanted to go with an up tempo spread type offense. Billy was more of a traditional I formation option guy. Any firing is tough but I dont think it was personal. A business move by Dabo. Chad Morris and Bi;;y were very different...Obviously it worked for Dabo and Billy is doing well too.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Completely agree....

Nov 18, 2020, 2:34 PM

My wonder is when they hire Napier how it will play into the Rivalry. Hope it gets juicy!

Re: Completely agree....

Nov 18, 2020, 3:05 PM

If Napier is smart, he won't go there. He needs to be patient, and something better will come along for him. If Spurrier had been patient, he could have had the LSU job a few weeks later when Saban left for the Dolphins.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he really may have a vendetta against Dabo.***

Nov 18, 2020, 3:19 PM

Nov 18, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Completely agree.... ]

Spurrier did not want the pressure of LSU. USuC was perfect for him. High hopes but low expectations.

Nov 18, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Completely agree.... ]

Spurrier did not want the pressure of LSU. USuC was perfect for him. High hopes but low expectations.

Re: Napier vs. Dabo

Nov 18, 2020, 3:28 PM

I think it was two parts.

One Napier was very young as an OC (30) and with the regression in 2010 and the pressure on Dabo to win now. Dabo had to make that move. Napier is good but no one at that time would have allowed Dabo and Napier to develop. We struggled to score 21+ points that year. I don't know what else happened but I bet there was a lot of pressure to being in "guru" to assist a young dabo. The fact that Napier was pick up so quickly by Bama says something.

Nov 18, 2020, 4:11 PM

Agreed. I always thought Napier just wasn't experienced enough at that point, and really wasn't ready to be an OC at that stage of his career. Of course you aren't going to turn down the position at that point if you're him so you really can't blame him.

Nov 18, 2020, 4:47 PM

We didn't have the talent for his system to work. Be honest, we had a sub 3 star average team back then. We didn't have a dominant O line or bruising between the tackles backs.

Nov 18, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Napier vs. Dabo ]

I think you are exactly right. I think you are always going to not have a warm fuzzy felling toward someone who fired you, but if Billy was being honest with himself, which I assume he may be, even he may think that he was just not ready for the OC role. I think this is especially true with a young new coach who was also trying to find his way. I wouldn't be surprised if Dabo didn't help him get hired at Alabama. Regardless of whether he is hired at SCar, I hope it is not a personal thing between the two coaches. I know it won't as far as Dabo is concerned.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Napier vs. Dabo ]

Agree on how young Napier was then, but there were times I thought he showed a real feel for playcalling. Not surprised at all he has done well.

Nov 18, 2020, 4:02 PM

Napier ran the offense with the talent he had at the time. Simple as that. Napier is a tremendous football coach and truly hope he avoids the a**hole of the state of South Carolina.

Rumor is SC is negotiating with

Nov 18, 2020, 4:41 PM

Napier at this very moment.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic