Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chase Brice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Chase Brice

Sep 29, 2020, 6:02 PM

Chase had another Rocky game in the loss to UVa on Saturday, throwing 4 picks that, frankly, should never have left his hand.

When he left the game with 6 minutes left, neither backup played well, either. The entire a Duke team had a forgettable day with 7 turnovers plus turning it over on downs.

We have all seen Chase force some throws, but I was hoping that being the regular starter would help him develop patience. Two of his throws were deep balls thrown into multiple coverage, and the other 2 were into a crowd in the middle of the field. Only one was accurate, but that receiver wasn’t open enough to make that throw.

Anyway, it’s the first time Duke has been 0-3 under Cutcliffe, and beat writers are calling for a change at QB. I think Coach Cut has been noncommittal so far besides “we need to do a better job of helping him be successful.”

Writers are calling for the RS SO QB to play because he has more eligibility, but Brice is technically only a RS JR. With 2020 not even going against his eligibility, he could play until 2022, so that argument is specious.

Brice just needs to settle down and re-earn his job. Hoping for a good finish for our boy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chase Brice

Sep 29, 2020, 6:09 PM

You wonder if he is pressing! Trying to show the world he was "good all along"! Sometimes instead of taking what the defense gives some QB's try and make it happen.
I suspect that's part of it. He is much better than what he has shown so far. Coach Cut will get him there(if outside noise doesn't interfere).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 6:30 PM

I haven't seen a ton of his play but he's so used to being on a team that can score 50 a game he probably want to keep that up. He also needs more time working with this WR's since COVID ruined his practice opportunities. He has 3 years left, he'll get his chance to be successful.

Sep 29, 2020, 6:34 PM

Never quite understood the Brice hype. Was a decent back up QB...

Sep 29, 2020, 7:46 PM

You aren't wrong. I like Brice because he stuck with Clemson when he could have transferred earlier and he did help save the Syracuse game a couple years ago. He seems like a great person and an even better teammate. But he wasn't a great quarterback. His time at Clemson, he completed about 60% of his passes for 1,000 yards, 9 touchdowns, and 4 picks. Most of what he did complete were screens to Lyn-J, Feaster, and Adam Choice against the gassed backups of lesser teams.

I'd put Chase Brice in the same camp as players like Kelly Bryant, Hunter Johnson, and Taisun. They're good athletes and decent backups. If they were the starter, Clemson would still win most/all of its regular season games given how deep it is everywhere. But I don't think it could win a championship on their arm. And they won't do a ton on a lesser team with a lot fewer weapons to work with.

Sep 29, 2020, 7:12 PM

Cutcliffe always has a QB ready to roll. If all the QB’s are struggling you gotta wonder if COVID cutting spring practice and altering summer workouts is the culprit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:11 PM

qb gts too much blame on L's and too much crdit on W's

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottom line

Sep 29, 2020, 8:48 PM

Great receivers can make an average QB look like an all world player. Duke doesn’t have the same group that Brice had when he took the field wearing orange. Wide receiver University Ain’t Duke. The big uglies up front makes a difference too!

He is used to a good O line, great receivers and a great rb

Sep 29, 2020, 8:44 PM

Plus poor play calling, they should have him fake to that mediocre rb more often and allow him to keep around the end. At least that is what I noticed in the first half of both games, as did not watch the second halves. Same thing for Houston, painful to watch his receivers fumble and drop passes. Also, the O line is still mediocre. O'brien ought to be fired for letting Nuk go and getting such a poor return. In addition, he let Reader go who is an outstanding run stuffer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 8:53 PM

Perception is bigger than reality. U call the plumber and he makes it look easy and your pissed cause you now think you should have done it...playing beside great players makes everyone rise but Chase is not surrounded by those players.... it don’t look easy right now does it? Good player not getting a lot of help....but that diploma is going to say Duke and that’s a pretty big feather in your hat as you start down the road of life....

He already has a diploma that says Clemson, along with some

Sep 29, 2020, 8:58 PM

hardware. He'll be fine.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will Be fine "this year"!

Sep 29, 2020, 9:05 PM

If you look at how Duke handled it + they aren't as talented as most + besides Coach Cut their coaching staff is just okay + covid19 meetings and cancelled spring and Chase learning a new group of players, coaches, plays.................the kid will be just fine. It will take time but the fall camp they did have he beat out anybody else on their roster! Has more meaningful snaps as well!

I agree with all that was said too though about him looking better when surrounded by other great players. But, I think the whole covid-crazy would affect Duke a lot more than it would affect Clemson! From a strength and conditioning stand point too! Remember they have to build their guys up even more than most!

Coach Cut could have chosen one of those kids he recruited and put them ahead of Chase - if they were better - I think that's exactly what he would/will do. Don't think they are though - and Coach Cut knows all things considered he has to grade Chase's performance on a curve!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chase Brice has his rings ...

Sep 29, 2020, 11:54 PM

And he was a hard working Tiger backup during some great years. Thanks Chase! But Chase sat watching for too many years and too many reps after his GA state championship to pick his game back up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He made some GREAT throws!!

Sep 30, 2020, 12:03 AM

And he made a lot of BAD throws. He is used to having more talent around him. COVID sure hasn't helped with he and his receivers. He is trying too hard and forcing things. He wants to win, but with Duke, the talent is just not there. He has had receivers just give up on routes.

Hang in there Chase. I think you can be better than average at Duke, but it's going to take a lot of team work.

Throws High Balls

Sep 30, 2020, 12:10 AM

when he is not throwing INT's and completions.

In all fairness his WR's don't catch the good balls

STILL - Good Luck Brice !!!!! wish I had that talent.

Great Luck TIGERS !!!!!! ALWAYS !!!!!

null

Sorry RW but you are wrong

Sep 30, 2020, 12:33 AM

I have watched about 75% of his plays in 3gms. I have seen multiple perfectly thrown balls get dropped for no reason. I have seen lightly contested balls not caught, seen no catches on 50/50balls.

That is just passing downs, but designed run QB plays don't really exist, he definitely can get 2-6yrds or more if were designed. But im sure in a learning curve, but Chase is best thing on Duke offense right now. Cutcliffe is great offense coach and Chase starts, so at least he is best he has?

Re: Sorry RW but you are wrong

Oct 2, 2020, 7:05 PM

You would be right that he has not really gotten in sync with the WRs; because of Covid, he has only been practicing with the team since mid-July.

Maybe the entire team is out of shape due to Covid and lack of working out. With the lack of depth they have, poor conditioning can make all the difference.

Brice is also a bigger, stronger, more determined runner with the ball in his hands than the other QBs, but that 235 pounds only matters when moving forward on designed runs or run options. When a slow 235-pounder is scrambling because he has no one to throw to, he goes down just as easily as a 200-pounder. So, yes, I agree that Coach Cut is not really using all of his strengths.

The team beat writers don't seem to bother getting Coach Cut's opinion on much. Maybe he isn't as transparent as Dabo.

But this much is obvious: if Brice keeps trying to throw his WRs open, and they keep failing to respond, he will end up leading the nation in picks thrown. Maybe their lack of depth is killing them on effort plays--they've held their own in the first halves of games. But he has thrown several balls that were 50/50 at best, and more like 33/67. His WRs just aren't even batting the ball down.

Sep 30, 2020, 12:14 PM

This is what happens to many backup QBs when they get to start.

I don't really give a care because I never thought Chase had NFL potential. After college, he can move on from playing football and succeed in real life. I'm sure he will do well.

Chase will always be an icon for Clemson football fans. How many people can say a team wouldn't have won a national championship without them? The key plays he made against Syracuse are a precious lifetime memory for him.

Hopefully he figures it out at Duke but it's all good if he doesn't.

Sep 30, 2020, 1:19 PM

I’ve watched about half of the Duke games and I agree that they don’t seem to have a ton of talent. I think Chase has only played average and tried to force things resulting in turnovers.

But, he’s now getting a Duke MBA for free. He’ll probably never play in the NFL, but he can go into the business world with nice degrees and make a lot of money there. And he will always be a legend at Clemson for the Syracuse game.

Sep 30, 2020, 5:46 PM

when you don't have an o-line and receivers are mediocre what do you expect?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2020, 5:51 PM

Bottom line, Dook ain't Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic