Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney's Contract: I Can See Both Sides...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 919

Swinney's Contract: I Can See Both Sides...

Jan 19, 2014, 6:53 PM

As usual, our psychotic fan base is split down the middle on this subject. I, for one, can see valid points from both groups.

For those in support, of which I am one, Dabo absolutely deserves this. The results speak for themselves, and anyone with half a brain cell can see that this is as good as we have ever been as a program. Obviously there is the one small blemish of losing to our rival, but there is nothing to suggest that we will not continue to make progress and get that issue fixed quickly. Also, Dabo has proven that he can recruit and make good hiring decisions. Nothing suggest that won't continue.

For those who don't support it, I understand where they are coming from, but completely disagree with their arguments. The problem for this group is they just aren't presenting it correctly. They are trying to find flaws with Dabo, but that's like grasping at straws. Instead, they should be focusing on the real source of their frustration...the administration.

That's right...that's who you're really upset at. Clemson left us mired in mediocrity for the better part of 20 years. It's beyond words what they did mentally to such a supportive fan base. And it's freakin unforgivable. They sucked up our dollars and kept us thinking they were committed when in reality nothing was further from the truth.

So yes, I completely understand why our fans are a little insane, and why they don't trust anyone. But reality says that we are past that dark chapter in our history. Clemson Football is now moving full steam ahead, and Coach Dabo Swinney is the man who has led us there. For that, I say well deserved Coach Swinney.

Now, let's go get FSU and USCjr.!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney's Contract: I Can See Both Sides...

Jan 19, 2014, 7:05 PM

hope so...since we just handcuffed ourselves for eight years...so what's our record against those two under Dabo?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a question, and I'm as serious as it gets...

Jan 19, 2014, 7:23 PM

Why do people like you continue to watch Clemson Athletics? You sound miserable man.

You remind me of the guy who sat behind me at the Orange Bowl. Dude was bashing anything and everything for four straight quarters. He was still pi$$ing and moaning when we were doing the victory formation.

So I turned around and ripped into him because I couldn't take it anymore. If you can't enjoy 30+ wins, Conference Championship game & BCS game wins in the last three years...why do you do it?

So my serious question that I'd like a legitimate answer to, is why do you continue to do something if it causes you this much discontent? Why not just hang it up and find something...ANYTHING that gives you some joy? I just don't get it, help me understand the logic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a question, and I'm as serious as it gets...

Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM

I, like you, don't understand those who refuse to see the positives (and they are plentiful) we are experiencing, instead of the negatives (of which there are very few). I wish those "fans" would just hit the road and find some other program to pretend to be fans of. Would they really be happy being coots? I can't even imagine anybody preferring that, but there are suckers born every day, and they love #####.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 8:02 PM

lots of positives...

but zero negatives...? nothing...?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that's not even slightly what he said...

Jan 19, 2014, 8:08 PM

so you can stop with that agenda right there. Read again:

instead of the negatives (of which there are very few)

Not zero/none...he said very few.

I'm going to call you out here on trying to push your agenda. You're exactly who I'm referring to with this question and I very politely responded to you in my other post. But don't start shoving words in someones mouth.

Re: Now that's not even slightly what he said...

Jan 19, 2014, 8:12 PM

the few are glaring and glossed over

but he did say few...

Re: Now that's not even slightly what he said...

Jan 20, 2014, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Now that's not even slightly what he said... ]

Thank you for defending my post and for calling him out. A blind idiot could see lots of very positives in our program, and yes, there are a few things that still need work, and this staff and team are working very hard to get those fixed, too. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2014, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I have a question, and I'm as serious as it gets... ]

Zero negatives? Quite a jump, don't you think? I never said that. The positives far outweigh the negatives, however, and if you can't see that, then you may want to rethink your position.

Re: But if this is as good as it gets

Jan 19, 2014, 7:14 PM

The Powers to be at CU must be OK with it. It gives the impression its OK to lose to FSU and SC most of the time, as long as we beat 9 or 10 underachieving opponents. Dabo is now safe from 7 or 8 in a row. In the current playoff system, I think only an unbeaten ACC team has a chance to get in. I have said before it will take a few more years to see what the trio (Dabo/Morris/Venables) can put on the field. If its better....that's OK by me!

Re: But if this is as good as it gets

Jan 20, 2014, 7:53 PM

Here's the problem with your argument...a.) Clemson is a strong program, but not nearly the most prestigious or accomplished program in CFB; b.) Dabo is not the highest paid coach in CFB.

So when you start talking about needing to beat FSU (who is more accomplished and prestigious) to get into the playoff, you're asking for a lot. You talk as if any coach that doesn't win the ACC and make the playoff regularly is a failure, but that's simply not the case. You have to have perspective of where we are nationally as a program, and right now, 10 wins with a legitimate shot at going undefeated or winning the ACC is pretty good. We've done nothing for decades, then have 2 top-10 seasons and suddenly we've eclipsed teams that have lived there for decades??? Get a reality check.

if by split down the middle you mean 95 to 5, then yes,

Jan 19, 2014, 7:16 PM

i agree.

this is for the 5...

photo giphy_zpsa78b9581.gif

they know who they are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL!! Doubt the dumpers are 5 percent also.***

Jan 19, 2014, 7:22 PM

Re: if by split down the middle you mean 95 to 5, then yes,

Jan 19, 2014, 8:01 PM [ in reply to if by split down the middle you mean 95 to 5, then yes, ]

Love this post!

You are right, we just got lucky with Dabo

Jan 19, 2014, 7:31 PM

We could no afford to hire a proven coach because we had to pay Bowden. So we paid Dabo peanuts in comparison and he took the job and performed well.

Re: You are right, we just got lucky with Dabo

Jan 19, 2014, 7:59 PM

YOU KNOW........the 5 percent wanted a REAL COACH, I ask them, what has HE done lately?????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM

THAT IS......COACH PATTERSON/GROUBE?????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 19, 2014, 8:02 PM [ in reply to You are right, we just got lucky with Dabo ]

He hasn't performed well. He has performed very, very well!

Jan 19, 2014, 8:10 PM [ in reply to You are right, we just got lucky with Dabo ]

So many don't seem to remember the major mistake made by TDP in giving TB an extension, we wound up eating, that strangled our budget. In retrospect, I'm glad it happened, because, had we not been restricted with our budget, we may not have hired Dabo, in favor of someone with a bigger name and resume'. Things have worked out pretty well, IMO. The pseudo success the coots have experienced lately will pass, just like a stomach ache after taking an anti-acid.

Dabo deserves 3 more years even if he starts stinking

Jan 20, 2014, 7:57 PM

it up. By that time the buyout is much more reasonable. Calm down.

Re: Dabo deserves 3 more years even if he starts stinking

Jan 20, 2014, 8:02 PM

Not to mention the financial landscape of college athletics has changed drastically in the last few years and will likely continue in that direction.

In everything from ticket prices and donor investments, coaching compensation and the facilities arms race all the way down to the sheer magnitude of marketing that happens in college football...I'm actually a little shocked that these numbers are so surprising to some.

Replies: 20
| visibility 919
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic