Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bronco Mendenhall is probably the best coach in the conference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Bronco Mendenhall is probably the best coach in the conference

Oct 4, 2020, 10:39 AM

when it pertains to x's and o's.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bronco Mendenhall is probably the best coach in the conference

Oct 4, 2020, 10:42 AM

I noticed him last night he is like a CEO on that sideline squatting at times just observing and taking in everything. I guess his staff was with him so long at BYU he just lets them do their thing. Very Solid.

EXACTLY and I posted as much this morning.

Oct 4, 2020, 10:47 AM

His team was night & day better all across the board than last year’s ACCCG team..which will help sharpen Clemson for what’s ahead.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes! This is right Bill. Last night makes me CERTAIN we will be

Oct 4, 2020, 3:29 PM

Ready for Miami and beyond. That game was perfect for where we are at this point in the season.

Lots of fundamentals to fix, tactics to fix, and time management to fix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Oct 4, 2020, 10:46 AM

Nice use of a long retired coot talking point to backdoor insult Dabo. Good job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 10:51 AM

I'm not insulting Dabo at all. Notice I said when it pertains to x's and o's. There is far more to coaching than just x's and o's . For that reason alone is why I believe Dabo is the best in the business.

Oct 4, 2020, 1:43 PM

Exactly how are you deducing that Mendenhall is better at Xs and Os than Dabo? What metric?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 2:49 PM

viztiz® said:

Exactly how are you deducing that Mendenhall is better at Xs and Os than Dabo? What metric?

I'm in no way taking anything away from Dabo. I'm just giving Bronco props for his coaching ability with far less talent to work with.

Oct 4, 2020, 8:39 PM

OK but the idea that Dabo is a “CEO” and not really a “Xs and Os” guy was a common talking point. The translation is that Dabo hired really good assistants but doesn’t really understand football. Bronco has done good work at UVA so far. But Dabo is far and away the best coach in the ACC and it shouldn’t be qualified in any way - which I think your original post did.

Oct 4, 2020, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Bronco Mendenhall is probably the best coach in the conference ]

Viz is back.

If you had compared Bronco favorably to Brownell, Viz would give you a thumbs up, regardless of your 'metric'.

I have no problem with your comparison. Dabo is more strategic, Bronco is more tactical. Just because Coot fans are so insecure they consider that to be an insult doesn't mean that we have to consider it so.

Dabo is not unaware of tactics any more than Bronco is unaware of strategy. Dabo and his assistants agree on tactics during game prep, but as a general rule he allows them to implement them. Yet you can see the times when he gets in BV's face, especially, during game time when he feels somethingneeds to be changed. (With TE up in the box, we aren't privy to much of their conversations.)

If Coot fans find this observation disrespectful, they haven't been paying attention to their ultimate idol, Nick Saban. He micromanages DB play, but that's all. Beyond that, he simply holds assistants accountable. Very accountable.

Bronco Mendenhall might be the toughest

Oct 4, 2020, 10:56 AM

And Bronco does know his x's and o's. But we all know, at the end of the day, the best recruiter and best program wins. And this 2020 Tiger team is growing into its big shoes and is capable of winning our only challenging 3-4 games (incl. the playoffs) against reasonably competent teams. So we have some work to do - that's the case every year, and Clemson has the players to get there. Some vets will be benched, some young players will move up, and some injured vets will return to play over the next couple of weeks. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 10:59 AM

Yep w should have know years ago when Ford named the vehicle for him

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's the Jimmy's and Joes**

Oct 4, 2020, 1:43 PM

nm

Based on what?

Oct 4, 2020, 2:21 PM

I think he’s a good coach, but I wouldn’t put him above Dabo or several others when it comes to Xs and Os.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Based on what?

Oct 4, 2020, 2:29 PM

He schooled us the last 1:45 of the first half.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay.

Oct 4, 2020, 2:46 PM

And he has lost to Dabo by an average score of 51-20 the two times he has played Dabo.

Granted, Dabo’s teams have had much more talent, but I would expect a great Xs and Os coach to find a way to make his team competitive, even if they couldn’t win.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Okay.

Oct 4, 2020, 3:40 PM

That's stupid. There's only so much you can do. UVA has 2 blue chip players total. Clemson has a couple dozen. There's not much you can do when you're not in the top 50 in talent. His scoring an average of 20 is pretty impressive. UVA was definitely competitive last night. I feel they out-executed and out-coached Clemson. But they had nowhere near the talent so lost. How many third and longs did Clemson pull out of thin air?

Great, so that means you really appreciate what Brownell

Oct 4, 2020, 10:17 PM

does every year to make our team so competitive in the ACC in basketball.

That was poor coaching by Dabo

Oct 4, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Based on what? ]

Should have had a run in there on 2nd down or 3rd down. It was more important to run down some clock than to push for a drive down the field for another score.

Hated they we gave them the ball back with 2 minutes left on the school.

So Judge??

Oct 4, 2020, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Based on what? ]

I think he’s a good coach, but I wouldn’t put him above Dabo or several others when it comes to Xs and Os.

So Judge! Who is the best in ACC in basketball X and Os?? Wait for it... Wait for it...

I was telling my fiancé last night that Bronco is really

Oct 4, 2020, 2:43 PM

really good coach. UVA is not an easy place to recruit to and to see their improvement since his arrival shouldn't go unnoticed.
- They've outperformed their recruiting rankings form the last 3-4 years, and they have finally beat VT after a 15 year losing streak.
- They Beat USC jr 28-0 2 years ago and made it to the ACC championship. Then, played Florida really well. If they didn't have the injuries they did last year, I think the actually beat Florida last year.

I'm glad he's in our Conference. I just hope he never goes to place like SC or FSU.

Oct 4, 2020, 3:06 PM

Bit of a stretch, and even ignoring the whole Dabo part of it, I would still pit Cutcliffe up there as well, but I think a case for 2 or at least 3 can be made. I say this without hesitation however. He IS the best they have had since George Welsh retired.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is an outstanding coach, look at his tenure at BYU

Oct 4, 2020, 3:26 PM

UVA fought above their weight last night. Armstrong will be top 5 QB in conference by season’s end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Coot!

Oct 4, 2020, 4:35 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic