Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Question about

Jan 12, 2021, 10:42 AM

the dark web(?). Mawldawg brought it up the other day, and it is in the kiddy pr0n thread below. I've heard of it, but what really is it? How do you get to it? Not that I want to, I'm just curious. I'm mostly a technological idiot and not really interested. Just wondering how this works.

Guessing that googling "how to access the dark web" is not a good idea.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

The dark web simply

Jan 12, 2021, 10:45 AM

refers to websites and hosts that use and/or support the .onion protocol. The onion protocol is a transport layer that anonymizes site traffic to a certain extent by routing your requests through multiple relays that obfuscate the origin of your request. Basically, the website you're interacting with can't specifically tell where your request is coming from (in most cases).

Only special browsers (Tor-based browsers) are capable of accommodating the onion protocol. The Tor browser and a search engine like DuckDuckGo can help uncover "directories" of onion-based websites.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And it's unindexed, i.e., not searchable, which means access

Jan 12, 2021, 11:00 AM

to any address requires having the precise address on hand, in addition to security protocols. Over 90% of internet content is unindexed "dark web" stuff, and the vast majority of it is uninteresting unusable stuff, like old business databases of records and the like. But also, drugs and contract killers and kiddie pron.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I see

Jan 12, 2021, 11:04 AM

I just figured it was the drugs and contract killers and kiddie pron stuff

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Ok, I'll splain.....

Jan 12, 2021, 11:44 AM

The DEEP WEB is everything on the regular internet (clearnet), that is not indexed. That's the open directories, random pages with no other links, etc. For example, I stuck a very simple html webpage on our company website in an obscure folder and called it homepage.htm I use that as the homepage for browsers on my mobile phone. It's a very simple page of links, basically my bookmarks. It's handy. Anyway, that is not a "public" webpage, although it's publicly accessible. I doubt anyone has ever "found" it. If they did, I'm not worried. But it's not in Google, it's not linked to from any other place on the internet. It's just there, on the internet, and unknown to anyone but me. As such, it's on the DEEP WEB. Publicly accessible on a regular browser, but not indexed anywhere. Make sense?

Now the DARK WEB is a different thing altogether. It's what Stubborn mentioned. It too is not indexed, but that's by design. It doesn't have regular url addresses, and you have to know the site to find the site. It uses the .onion protocol, which is like http, but different. It is a separate network from the web, uses a different port on your computer, and is encrypted and passes through relays (at least two) and is "technically" untraceable, both the servers, and the end users.

And lastly clearnet. That is the term for the regular internet, like TigerNet.

Now also, the Dark Web is not anonymous. It is, but they can find you if they really want to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old school, use local biker bar for drugs & contract killers

Jan 12, 2021, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Oh, I see ]

if you like the personal interaction.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a sad. I thought maybe it was about sista’s. ******

Jan 12, 2021, 11:52 AM [ in reply to The dark web simply ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's OK to access the dark web, as long as

Jan 12, 2021, 10:46 AM

you do it from your work computer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic