Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pls don't ruin CFB when you fix the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Pls don't ruin CFB when you fix the CFP

Nov 7, 2019, 8:52 AM

With its big debut this week, CBB demonstrated once again why its regular season and even its conf tourneys are largely meaningless. If you've got a "pretty good" team, you're going to the dance. No individual regular season game matters.

Let's please not do that to CFB. Thank you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get the argument ...

Nov 7, 2019, 9:15 AM

Of course regular season matters. But what also matters is fairness. Four Teams is not enough. Eight Team playoff is better ... winner of each Power Five Conference + 3 Wildcards ... but then again, that leaves out the rest of the FBS Conference Winners. Who Are We to say they are are not worthy ? Talk about arrogance !

SIXTEEN TEAM PLAYOFF
Winner of each Conference goes (10) + 6 Wildcards. That's fair, that the Sweet 16 of College Football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Going to 8 teams REALLY makes the regular season

Nov 7, 2019, 9:21 AM

irrelevant. What if there's a conference champ, say in the Pac 12, with 3 or 4 losses. They won it just because everyone else in the PAC 12 was worse than them. Do they belong in the playoff? My money says nope.

It also makes the regular season games themselves less exciting. Now, instead of teams gearing up for the last 3 weeks of Nov because it's do or die, you have teams sitting players out, just like the NFL, if they're already in the playoff. Screw that, and screw 8 team playoff. Recruit, coach, and get your ### in shape for the last 2 laps.

Re: Going to 8 teams REALLY makes the regular season

Nov 7, 2019, 9:42 AM

I'm concerned about this too. I want EVERY game to matter.

But on the other hand, a structure where every P5 Champion gets in does make MORE games matter overall. Meaning, if every conference champion was still in the race, then all of a sudden, the PAC 12 games (even in your scenario where they are all 3 or 4 loss) matter in November.

Also, all of a sudden, the Coastal games would matter, because the winner actually has a chance to get in to the Tourney. Long shot? Absolutely. But certainly makes it interesting.

I'm a bit concerned that we suddenly only care about the top few teams, and it would be nice to have a view on every conference a bit more.

Look at it this way... if the playoff were 8 teams right now

Nov 7, 2019, 11:41 AM

Clemson would have nowhere near the incentive they have right now to get in post-season mode. We'd be in danger of just sauntering into the playoffs with possibly not the inspiration that's required to win the NC. It's not that we only care about the top 4 teams. We care about what it takes to become a top 4 team.

I don't want the NFL in my college football. I like it just like it is.

Re: Going to 8 teams REALLY makes the regular season

Nov 7, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Going to 8 teams REALLY makes the regular season ]

"What if there's a conference champ, say in the Pac 12, with 3 or 4 losses. "

Pittsburgh played in the ACCCG against us in 2018 with 5 losses, and finished the season with 7 losses.

UCLA could play in the PAC-12 CG with 5 losses this year, if they win out, and could win the Pac-12 possibly.

Weird huh?

I agree Ohwiseone the playoff should change to eight teams

Nov 7, 2019, 9:45 AM [ in reply to I don't get the argument ... ]

with the five power conference winners plus three wildcards. It is inevitable anyways as it will make money for the playoffs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's FOUR playoff games, that ain't gonna happen ACE***

Nov 7, 2019, 11:29 AM [ in reply to I don't get the argument ... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pls don't ruin CFB when you fix the CFP

Nov 7, 2019, 9:50 AM

True. NASCAR was one of the fastest growing sports in America in early 2000s and then they decided to change everything. Now their ratings are in the dumps and places that use to sell out with a waiting list are half filled.

Re: Pls don't ruin CFB when you fix the CFP

Nov 7, 2019, 9:55 AM

What I find funny is that every year, it's the same discussion after week 1 of the CFP rankings. Everyone loses their collective minds. Just so happens we're the team sitting at 5 this year. Well, by season's end, these things have a way of working themselves out, don't they?? Can anyone really argue that the playoff system hasn't picked the 4 best teams to date in its final rankings every year? There's ALWAYS going to be someone left out. Maybe it's the #9 team, maybe it's #17 (in a 16 team playoff). There's always going to be debate. BUT, it isn't about being fair. It isn't about inclusiveness (something this country has screwed up with our participation award culture). Elite teams in college football are few and far between. I seriously think on any year, there are 2-4 elite teams. Almost NEVER do we exceed that. It's the nature of this sport, recruiting, availability of elite talent, and coaching. If a 2-loss UGA team had got in last year, it would've been a travesty. They HAD their opportunities and they failed. You should not get do-overs. This is not the NFL, every game matters. Next week is the most important game of the season. The only people complaining are the people who's teams cannot hold that standard and need a system that supports multiple loss teams getting in. I will never advocate for that, even if we are a team left out one year. It means we had our opportunity and we didn't perform to an elite standard. It happens and it makes the season so much more exciting.

Back to work. Rant over.

Go Tigers. Beat NC State.

2014 TCU begs to differ

Nov 7, 2019, 11:37 AM

With possibly Baylor in the same boat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic