Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff's, super conferences and other random thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 617

Playoff's, super conferences and other random thoughts

Oct 7, 2014, 10:05 PM

A few randoms thoughts on the direction of NCAA DIV1 Football :

With 120 some odd programs in DIV1A (that is what I will always call it) it seems that all should either have a shot or be in some other division.

Each conference should be limited to (10) members that should all have to compete in all sports. This way you play EVERYONE in your conference EVERY year. This allows for (3) out of conference regular season games.

EVERY conference should be geographically aligned. I always enjoyed the fact that ACC, SEC, PAC10, BIG10....etc football each had it's "own brand of football". When you mix ACC and BIG EAST you water each of them down.

The conference championship game should go away.

As in basketball the tournament does not REALLY mean anything. Lets say that Wake has a great ACC basketball tourney and wins....well that is great but everyone STILL knows whoever won the MOST conference games is the REAL winner of the ACC each year in basketball....okay back to football.

What if Duke had slipped in last year and won that last football game ? It didn't happen but what if Fla St had (1) BAD game....no one would say that because Duke beat FLA ST in one game last year that they ARE the best in the ACC, 2013. It is a trap game when you consider the NATIONAL picture.

So what if we had (12) conferences with (10) teams each. At the end of the regular season you play 12 vs 1, 11 vs 2....so on. Number 12 does not have much of a shot but they do have A SHOT and would then have to continue on. You could still use the bowl system for the playoffs.

Lets compare this to the NFL; Lets say that by committee it is decided that at the end of the year the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Skins are the top (4) out of (32) and ONLY they played in the play-offs...? The rest of the league would want to know why they do not have a shot. What if the AFC east was looked down on by committee year in and year out and they never get a SHOT. If this happens for a few years everyone would be preaching how the NFC east is all that matters and are the BEST brand of football in the NFL and no one else should have a shot.

On to super conferences :
With the size of the NEW ACC and SEC we now effectively have (4) conferences...SEC EAST, SEC WEST, ACC COASTAL and ACC ATLANTIC. The winners of the two divisions just happen to play each other at the end of the year in a game that really does NOT mean you were the BEST IN THE CONFERENCE. It means you were the BEST in YOUR division and won (1) extra game.

We are in a situation now to where lots of fans brag about how easy their schedule sets up in XXXX year because they will not have to play XXXXXXX team. What the H#ll...I want us to play everyone in our conference EVERY year....if we can not do that then the conference is TOO LARGE !!

What the H#ll is the deal with Notre Dame....basketball but NOT football; even if it were all sports I would not want them because it does NOT make sense geographically.

I want to have the Big East, ACC, SEC, BIG10....etc.

Mark this down...super conferences will lead to weaker football being played on the field.

I think we should play SCU and Georgia EVERY year. We should have one true DIV2 cake game each year and we should play EVERY TEAM IN THE ACC EVERY YEAR !

HEY ACC, HEY SEC...lets take your ONE best TEAM and settle it on the FIELD !!

Okay time for a beer.....GO TIGERS !

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

generated by sloganizer.net

Re: Playoff's, super conferences and other random thoughts

Oct 7, 2014, 10:18 PM

I think you are misinterpreting what a superconference will turn into the superconferences will actually end up with two divisions that arejust smaller conferences. Then you will have the two division leaders play each other in the championship game which will be a first round of the playoffs. Then you can have your four team playoff and Crown A true champion.

The ACC basketball tournament was so great in the past because only the champion made it to the NCAA. If we could adopt that model in college football we would have a lot better playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Playoff's, super conferences and other random thoughts

Oct 7, 2014, 10:38 PM

Yep, NEWMATIC had a few to many random thoughts in his scenario!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 617
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic