Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2016 (3)Clemson- 37 (12)Florida State- 34
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,173

On This Date: 2016 (3)Clemson- 37 (12)Florida State- 34

Oct 29, 2020, 10:06 AM

10/29/2016
Tallahassee, FL

Clemson keeps control of playoff destiny with hard-fought win over FSU

No. 3 Clemson didn’t need to win at No. 12 Florida State on Saturday to keep control of its own College Football Playoff destiny. But the Tigers probably don’t mind winning anyway.

That happened, 37-34, after Clemson withstood a late FSU charge to win in the nick of time, striking a blow for the second year in a row in a great ACC Atlantic rivalry.

After a go-ahead Florida State touchdown with 3:23 remaining, Clemson needed a minute and 17 seconds to go 75 yards and pull back ahead, which it did on a Deshaun Watson touchdown pass to Jordan Leggett.

That gave the Tigers the lead they wouldn’t give up, and their defense held FSU on a last-ditch comeback effort. They sacked Deondre Francois on FSU’s last two offensive snaps, running their total to six sacks on the night.

The win keeps Clemson in an ultra-commanding position atop the ACC Atlantic. The Tigers are a game ahead of one-loss Louisville, whom they beat a few weeks ago, and now Florida State’s thoroughly out of the picture.

Clemson has a tiebreaker on the Cardinals and could lose any one of its last three league games and still win the division, advancing to the league title game in Orlando. Win that, and Clemson’s in the Playoff for the second year in a row.

The Tigers would’ve stayed in first place in the division even had they lost, because of that tiebreaker over Louisville.

But that didn’t seem to make things any less tense on Saturday. The Tigers had to withstand a remarkable showing from Florida State running back Dalvin Cook. It was Cook whose late touchdown, his fourth of the night, staked FSU to a 34-29 lead. It turned out that only forced the Tigers’ late heroics.

Is Clemson un-killable? It kind of looks like that.
The Tigers have come awfully close to losing on several occasions.

There was that six-point win in Week 1 at Auburn, when some late-game management shenanigans from Dabo Swinney #### near cost Clemson a win.

There was that six-point win at home in Week 2 against Troy, which is a team, not the first name of a good player on Alabama.

There was that six-point win against Louisville on Oct. 1, when a receiver’s weird move out of bounds in the last minute preserved victory.

There was that overtime triumph against NC State two weeks ago, when the Tigers stayed alive only because of a missed 33-yard field goal at the end of regulation.

The Tigers haven’t played quite like a top-three or top-four team, at least not all the time. But they’ve sure won like one, and they’re in a terrific spot. I feel like I’m watching 2013 Auburn or 2014 Florida State, or some team like that.

The Clemson-Florida State series has, in general, become a really good one.
But it wasn’t always that way. FSU dominated through the 1990s and just after the turn of the millennium, but Clemson’s rise has coincided with a balancing-out in a series that’s regularly had a big hand in the ACC Atlantic’s final standings.

This year’s meeting never had the same stakes because of Clemson’s two-game edge on Florida State, and its tiebreaker-aided edge on Louisville. The stakes were big, but they weren’t Playoff big. Clemson could’ve lost this game and still had a straightforward road to Orlando and then the Playoff. Things would’ve been fine.

Beating FSU in Doak Campbell Stadium and sitting at 8-0 on the way to November, though? That’s even better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 2016 (3)Clemson- 37 (12)Florida State- 34

Oct 29, 2020, 11:45 AM

I'm disputing some of the so called "facts", 6 point wins, missed field goal ??? In 2016 we won every game by at least 40 points. This year, our team is winning games by the slimmest of margins. SMH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 1:19 PM

That night was the Dalvin Cook show. Glad to finally see him leave.

Oct 29, 2020, 2:36 PM

Man, that 2016 team was the greatest.... at giving me late game heart attacks. True to form to the end.

What CW42 does to Francois is NSFW

Oct 29, 2020, 8:17 PM

Kinda insult to injury I think. Yikes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,173
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic