Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2004 Clemson - 24 (10)Miami- 17 F-OT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

On This Date: 2004 Clemson - 24 (10)Miami- 17 F-OT

Nov 6, 2018, 8:53 AM

November 6, 2004
Coral Gables(Miami), FL

"When we needed a play, we went to Reggie. He stepped up and met the challenge." "He was Dominant."
-Charlie Whitehurst

Reggie Merriweather ran for a career-high 114 yards & 3 TDs in the 2nd half, including a 2-yard score in OT, to cap Clemson's 24-17 comeback victory over Miami (No. 10 ESPN/USA Today; No. 11 AP). The Tigers trailed 17-3 at halftime, but dominated the second half.

In addition to Merriweather, 2 critical plays helped cap the Tiger comeback:

Down 17-3 with 08:37 remaining in the 3rd Quarter and facing a 3rd and 13, QB Charlie Whitehurst stood in the pocket and hit Airese Currie down the middle for a 37-yard gain. On the next play, Merriweather burst past the Miami line, broke two tackles in the secondary and rumbled in for a 27-yard touchdown that cut Miami's lead to 17-10.

Then, Following two more stalled Miami drives, Clemson used a little trickery to tie the game. Facing a fourth-and-2 from the Miami 9, Bowden went for a fake field goal and elected to call upon kicker Jad Dean to run for a first down. Dean caught a flip from holder Cole Chason, got to the Miami 3, and Merriweather scored on the next play to tie the game 17-17.

On its overtime possession, Miami moved to the Clemson 5, but three straight incompletions by Brock Berlin sealed the Hurricanes' second straight loss. Berlin's final attempt was intended for Lance Leggett in the corner of the end zone, but Clemson's Tye Hill had him well-covered and the ball bounced away.

https://youtu.be/u5FiRfw9G3o

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

and then we lost to Duke the very next week...

Nov 6, 2018, 8:59 AM

If I live to be 100 I will swear the wind started blowing much harder just as the Duke kicker attempted the game winning 53-yard field goal as time expired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yep. Sigh, the game wasn't even on TV***

Nov 6, 2018, 9:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I was there and remember it vividly !!!***

Nov 6, 2018, 9:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: and then we lost to Duke the very next week...

Nov 6, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to and then we lost to Duke the very next week... ]

Yes, I was at the Duke game when we lost In 2004. I still vividly remember the Duke fans talking smack about Clemson and rightfully so. I was also at the wake forest game that year where Wake spanked us pretty good and also had to listen to their fans talking smack after that game too. 2004 was not a fun year on the road for Clemson in North Carolina!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic