Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next STEP would like to see us take as a Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Next STEP would like to see us take as a Program

May 1, 2019, 5:02 PM

Obviously our program is currently on top in the CFB world after winning our 2nd Natty in 3 years, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have room to grow. The one major area/step forward I would love to see us take is to consistently run the ball in obvious running downs (end of game ect) against the less talented teams we face week in week out in the ACC. I know Desmond Howard took alotta heat calling us a ‘finesse’ Offense but I do feel like their was some truth to that. I feel like we struggle too often to simply line up and run the ball between the tackles consistently especially against lesser talented teams. I know we just smoked Bama but this is something that they consistently do and I’m not saying we need to be on that level but it does baffle me at times how we struggle to just dominate the offensive LOS. A couple years ago and especially at the beginning of the Dabo era I feel like we greatly underperformed on special teams w kick returns, lack of blocked punts and every time we kicked the ball I felt like I had to hold my breath even though our team speed was always better than our ACC opponents. I think for the most part that has drastically improved and I feel like the only major step we could take is running the ball like I explained ^^^. Considering we just had the NFL draft, that’s the one position we haven’t consistently produced NFL caliber olinemen year in year out and can’t remember the last time we had a 1st round Oline prospect drafted. What are your guys thoughts on this/which area would you like to see us take a step forward as a program??? South Carolina sucks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next STEP would like to see us take as a Program

May 1, 2019, 5:15 PM

Jackson Carman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Next STEP would like to see us take as a Program

May 1, 2019, 6:13 PM

Run blocking and pass blocking are two different animals. Most OLs excel at one or the other but few are great doing both. If you are going to showcase an offense that is predicated on the pass, you usually won’t have that dynamic of a running game due to the differences in blocking technique.

I think we are trying to get much more out of our running game in crunch time against the better defenses that we face. Just look at all the stud OLs we have coming in. We are no longer settling for 3*s. We’re now getting 4* and 5* OLs. The kind of guys with the ability to run block and pass block.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spread Offense. RPO heavy principles

May 1, 2019, 6:46 PM

Many of our run plays have optional pass routes built in. QB's like to spin it; especially if the numbers in the box favor the defense or is not an advantage for our offense. This has long been a criticism of the "spread offense" in general.
The spread in fact has been credited with, "evening the playing field"! Meaning, the school that had the biggest baddest OL didn't necessarily have to dominate all the time. It meant, if you didn't have a solid 5 - 8 man rotation you could count on consistently; by virtue of formation you could keep the other teams extra bodies out of the tackle box.
Then throw in an up tempo spread team - you have a limited play selection maybe 1 of 2 pass plays maybe two run plays. QB's like to spin it.
I can understand the point and have been frustrated by not being able to get "a yard" sometimes. But, even run heavy teams get stuffed! That's what we have to remember about running at a loaded box. Even run it all the time; we are good at run blocking teams get stuffed.
I like our OL and I like their mentality as a group! Tough and unrelenting. Were they highly regarded players coming out: no. But, they do what we need them to do.
It may not ever get to the point where we just tell a team B gap off the right side - stop us if you can! And, I would be okay with that. I can't say if higher rated recruits would guarantee us those couple yards on tough 3rd downs or not. I just feel we hopefully are an offense that moves it between the 20's if nothing else and we have a choice to go or kick a short FG.

I'll bet the Pitt game comes to mind when you think of not being able to "gain a yard"? But, Narduzzi loves to stack the box and puts his CB's on an island routinely. We should have probably ran on that one or audibled out to something outside. Hindsight being 20/20 of course!

No matter what - it's go Tigers all the time!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic