Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 78
| visibility 1

New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant

Nov 12, 2017, 8:01 AM

Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant

Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant hasn’t been sharp the last few weeks, but while many might call for a different look behind center, co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott gave Bryant a vote of confidence. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What else can Scott say?

Nov 12, 2017, 8:10 AM

We're 10 games in. They can't change QBs at this point if they wanted to.

But his in abilities to stay in a pocket, make his reads, and make the deep or medium throws become greater liabilities as the games get bigger and become more important.

If he wanted to please T-Net, be'd be better off just to say

Nov 12, 2017, 8:16 AM

... Nothing.

Because there is no pleasing T-Net.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What else can Scott say?

Nov 12, 2017, 8:45 AM [ in reply to What else can Scott say? ]

They haven't been big or important up to now? Auburn, Louisville, Va Tech, NC State, FSU weren't as important as USC and Miami?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2017, 9:13 AM

Not gonna answer for someone else because yes, you’re right. Those were big games but there really wasn’t much pressure or expectations in September. However, after va tech it was a lot of talk about repeating etc and built up to the last couple weeks.

It’s really appears to me that he’s playing scared. The old adage no decision is a decision...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2017, 12:04 AM [ in reply to What else can Scott say? ]

Let KB call the plays. He might do better than the coaches.

Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant

Nov 12, 2017, 8:11 AM

KB can't hit the broad side of a barn door pass 15 yards. I know that putting someone else in at this point will do no good but you can tell the frustration that the receivers are facing each time KB misses them when the are wide open.

We'll end up 11-1 in the regular season and if he plays a great game we'll beat Miami. He's got to hit the open receivers 15+ yards downfield for that to happen.

Nov 12, 2017, 8:21 AM

Bryant seems like a different QB after that V-Tech game. He took control of that game and was very confident.
Now you can see the struggle with deep balls and outside the hash marks. We will need the early season KB to beat Miami.

I wouldn't count on beating SC with yesterday's O?...

Nov 12, 2019, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Defenses are weekly tightening the noose on all other aspects of the O due to inability to stretch the field. KB's worst deep ball yesterday was the one he didn't throw.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you on crack? Scar has nowhere near the talent that NCSU and FSU..

Nov 12, 2017, 12:09 PM

has on defense

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you on crack? Scar has nowhere near the talent that NCSU and FSU..

Nov 12, 2017, 1:42 PM

South Carolina beat NancyState

Irrelevant

Nov 12, 2017, 4:10 PM

Ncst dominated that game..... the opening KO return just put them behind the 8 ball. SC got lucky.... it's that simple.

Not to mention they don't have their best offensive weapon from that game

Re: Are you on crack? Scar has nowhere near the talent that NCSU and FSU..

Nov 12, 2017, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Are you on crack? Scar has nowhere near the talent that NCSU and FSU.. ]

Hopefully the players don't have your mindset.

We'll have to actually show up to beat South Carolina this year.

Nov 12, 2017, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Ive been saying this to anyone who would listen kelly B is a phenomenal runner, however, he can't throw with consistency in the long passing game (passes of 20+ yards) and it looks like he's not spending time with the receivers after practice like deshaun and other greats to build the chemistry we desperately need.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:28 PM

Jaythehitmanhart: You are 100% correct--Bryant's throwing mechanics are terrible; he consistently throw's high because he doesn't set his feet and doesn't step into the throw. He has no touch. He is a very good runner and needs to be a running back, not a qb.

Nov 12, 2017, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

You guys do a lot complaining. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year and the Tigers have a true opportunity to defend there title. Team not perfect but there winning.

This was never a rebuilding year. Vegas had us picked to win

Nov 12, 2017, 2:10 PM

every game pre-season less Louisville on the road who did not pan out. Why do so many T-Netters believe this was a rebuilding year? We have the best Defense in country. And Wide Receiver University. And a top O-Line. And two top RB's. Remember "We2Deep"!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a rebuilding year?

Nov 12, 2017, 3:18 PM

Watson, Gallman, Williams, Leggett, Scott, Guillermo, Boulware, Jadar, Cordrea, Watkins

It's amazing what we're doing in the absence of these dudes.

Nov 12, 2017, 8:17 AM

We know he does..............

Nov 12, 2017, 3:50 PM

I'm sure they do/did, but his on field passing performance to date has been abysmal. I wish KB could get the passing game working, but he leaves much to be desired in that regard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2017, 8:30 AM

I think this is the most honest thread I've ever seen on Tnet. I'm surprised it hasn't been taken down.

The dreaded vote of confidence. Meaning the staff is

Nov 12, 2017, 8:31 AM

worried and have started looking at other options. You NEVER want to recieive a vote of confidence.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

#8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot

Nov 12, 2017, 8:35 AM

#8 needs to help #2 more than he has

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot

Nov 12, 2017, 9:03 AM

Yep. You are so so right. I would bench him a few times and work with Tee on more reps in that 50-50 ball they talk about.

The defenses are keying on kB’s eyes too. He’s always had a problem going through his progressions. Looks a receiver in and then usually takes off running.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot***

Nov 12, 2017, 9:54 AM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

Re: #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot***

Nov 12, 2017, 9:54 AM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

Nov 12, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

KB has had some issues, but Cain has been disappointing this year. His body control on the 50/50 ball is terrible. Overton to me would be one that has displayed the ability to go up and get it. Higgins will get there, but he is still tentative at this point. I think us fans were spoiled the last 2 years with an offense that could throw the ball all over the yard on anyone. this years offense is a better running team, but will throw at times to keep the defense honest. I still believe in this team. They have went on the road into some tough venues and came out on top. I don't think you can say that about any other team other than maybe Oklahoma.

Nov 12, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

Amen brother. Cain has got to step up his play. To this point he has shown the 4th best hands on the team at best.

Nov 12, 2017, 11:03 AM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

He needs to stretch to catch somebof those passes that are on his finger tips. Cain is lazy.

Lazy? That's a cheap shot brah

Nov 14, 2017, 9:23 PM

Missing a catchable ball doesn't make him lazy.

Nov 12, 2017, 12:07 PM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

True

Nov 12, 2017, 12:16 PM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

They have zero chemistry or it would be automatic everytime

Nov 12, 2017, 12:22 PM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

#2 needs to throw the ball to #8 in such a way that he does not have to slow down and let the defenders catch up with him and almost kill him. You got it backwards, so I fixed fer ya'.

Nov 12, 2017, 2:38 PM

8 has to create separation big guy! He is replacing a dude that would go up in traffic and high point the ball. When Cain is running free there is no problem, but when he has to win a battle he can't do it.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

Didn't seem to bother Mike when 4 under threw him.

Nov 12, 2017, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

Actually that's wrong. He still missed all the others.

It is what it is

Like Renfrow with his “all world” catches? Sorry but

Nov 12, 2017, 3:38 PM [ in reply to #8 catches that wide-open deep ball and point is moot ]

not every receiver is that talented in controlling their body. Cain has been open numerous times but the pass isn’t close.

Nov 12, 2017, 8:53 AM

No doubt our coaches are correct about the basics, but by the 10th game of the season the basic pass catch should be down pat. Mostly is except Deon Cain still has problems. He makes catches on the two long passes from KB and we're up 14 more points before the noles closed to 3. Handoff issues, in game 10? When we play Miami I hope the O is firing on all cylinders. Go Tigers

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2017, 9:17 AM

Hope You are/were that perfect in the first full time year of your occupation. Wow. We just won the Atlantic Division and took everyone's best shot. Every time I get on this board before you guys can get over your hangover you would think the sky is falling. I should know better.

Nov 12, 2017, 9:24 AM

Yeah, it's probably too late to change now, but I would play Hunter against Citadel and see if he's a realistic alternative if things are going poorly. Fair enough?

Next Game Is A Chance For Hunter

Nov 12, 2017, 10:25 AM

Yeah Deon Cain has dropped passes, but look at what else has changed. If a receiver has to stop his route to come back to the ball or jump out of his route to catch the ball then he is seriously limited and the defensive back has a serious advantage in coverage. That probably starts with miscalculating on a read of the coverage and we don't know why that's changed over the last few games.

The Citadel game does give a chance for Hunter Johnson to show more of his read, pass and run capabilities. We know he has been accurate in his passing game and he looks smooth in execution.

It would be great to see a pattern of consistency and production that COULD carry over to bigger games.

Play both backup QB's against Citadel and

Nov 12, 2017, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

find out who really is #2 before they all transfer.
We have KB for our QB win or lose but the OCs could certainly do him some favors by calling better plays suited to the strengths of KB and the players we have now. Throwing up deep sideline 50/50 balls are not the answer without Williams #7 in there to go up and get them. Sorry, but Cain is not that guy. How many times have we seen 2nd down and 3, 4, or 5 in the red zone or close to it and we call a fade route or another 50/50 ball in the end zone or down the sideline and all are uncatchable. This scenario in the 3rd or 4th qtr should always be automatic: #9, #28, or #26 off RT or LT for at least 4 yds or more every time. Thank you guys for not calling that long to the side line bubble screen that has not gained a yd since Sammy Watkins was embarrassing Ohio St. with it. All I'm saying is we need to be calling fewer difficult pass plays for KB and more runs by others particularly in the 3rd and 4th Qtrs. Those short, quick passes to Renfrow are perfect for KB and HR can catch anything that he can reach. Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to throw more to TEs over the middle

Nov 12, 2017, 2:40 PM

Most passes over 15 yards are fades to sidelines.

Nov 12, 2017, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Fellow Tiger fan... be honest here. You do not see the hardships that Bryant is struggling through? We ALL see the issues and there is nothing wrong with discussing them.

Scott is only calling the plays that he thinks Bryant can handle which is hurting the entire team. Against the top 4, that will end quickly.

Nov 12, 2017, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Thanks I Agee. You should want to see improvement. But stop the complaining the Tigers are 9-1 after taking everyone's best shot!

Nov 12, 2017, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Thanks I Agee. You should want to see improvement. But stop the complaining the Tigers are 9-1 after taking everyone's best shot!

Nov 12, 2017, 9:23 AM

KB is no surprise. He is a physical, RPO type QB with limited intermediate and downfield passing ability. He hasn't helped him in that Cain has been extremely inconsistent in his performance but that still doesn't change what KB is and what he will continue to be. We have and can continue to win with him as long as our RBs continue to step up and be a threat, which they are and KB doesn't turn the ball over, which he did twice yesterday. Actually, with our defense being as good as they are, his style and a strong running game is a great combo - see BAMA.

Nov 12, 2017, 9:40 AM

Hurts looks a lot better this year than last. I would expect KB would progress a lot next year as well.

Nov 12, 2017, 10:29 AM

Yeah, as a back up QB.

Nov 12, 2017, 12:04 PM

According to Dabo’s philosophy, Bryant is the most senior and most deserving and even with Trevor coming in, he will not change that.
Watson would have most likely defeated Georgia IF Dabo had not held on to Cole because of seniority. That is a good recruiting tool but it doesn’t always have the right players on the field. This not opinion but facts.

Nov 12, 2017, 9:42 AM

My daughter suffered a concussion a month ago and she is still suffering from it. I can't help but wonder if some of KB's issues might be related to an incomplete recovery.

Nov 12, 2017, 9:49 AM

Fair point and would agree but we’ve seen 3 years of kB either practice, mop up and now 10 games in and his tendencies haven’t changed.

Agree -- Nobody seems to remember the concussion

Nov 12, 2017, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

While he may have passed the protocol, it does seem more than coincidental that these QB-receiver sync issues started after that. Everyone was talking about his keen ability with the long ball during the 1st half of the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point, Certainly not the passer he was***

Nov 12, 2017, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Even if it didn’t physically damage him

Nov 12, 2017, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Scott says coaching staff has confidence in Kelly Bryant ]

Nov 12, 2017, 10:05 AM

Just give Hunter Johnson An
Opportunity to get some snaps vs.
Jarheads.
With Trevor Lawrence coming in January, it's probably A Moot Point
because KB will be playing WR next year because of His Ability to Run after the catch.
Talk about Mike Williams #2 !

Kelly Bryant is a winner, if he had not been injured: 10-0***

Nov 12, 2017, 10:21 AM

We want the early season KB back***

Nov 12, 2017, 11:16 AM

Nov 12, 2017, 11:18 AM

I know the term fan comes from fanatic, but some of us need to step up our loyalty to the Clemson Tigers. At the game yesterday, there was a guy behind me saying that he could catch better than Deon Cain or throw better than Kelly Bryant. What a preposterous statement and a horrible way to be a fan. We easily forget that Deshaun was often throwing interceptions last year. I believe that we would be undefeated if Kelly had not taken that hit at Syracuse. Let's talk up our team, cheer the good things our beloved Tigers do, and hopefully follow them to another championship.

Nov 12, 2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks so much for your message. We sometimes forget how difficult it is to win week to week. I thought about KB’s concussion and how it may still be affecting his throwing ability. I also hope Hunter Johnson plays next week. KB may start, however, perhaps a week of rest would help him heal some for the championship run. We are Atlantic champions three years in a row. Love my Tigers. Go Tigers!

Kelly Bryant has shown shades of greatness and had rough

Nov 12, 2017, 11:52 AM

times too. If you think there is a QB on the bench who will handle the job better at this point, you really have a LOT to learn about everything!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Kelly Bryant has shown shades of greatness and had rough

Nov 12, 2017, 12:14 PM

Right now the coaches are handcuffed with what plays they can calll.... from the concussion or not we just do not know.

If you think another championship can be won with Scott being handcuffed, then YOU do not know anything about football.

Re: Kelly Bryant has shown shades of greatness and had rough

Nov 12, 2017, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Kelly Bryant has shown shades of greatness and had rough ]

There's no way to know who "will handle it better" until they get behind the center.

Just win baby - it's all on KB and O coaches

Nov 12, 2017, 12:11 PM

These are the weakest links in Clemson's armor. National media is already making hay of Clemson QB play as reason Clemson is susceptible to not making playoffs or not winning against top competition. It is what it is. All other positions are solid to outstanding. Win and in ... Loss and all #### breaks loose. Simple as that.

Re: Just win baby - it's all on KB and O coaches

Nov 12, 2017, 6:17 PM

You must be Hunter Johnson only supporter. Clemson loss to Syracuse was a team loss. According to many on this site you would be 10-0 with a bad quarterback. Just saying there's room for improvement but your comments are very critical and pretentious to be a fan.

Nov 12, 2017, 12:24 PM

Well I feel better now,knowing that he has confidence in KB2. BTW: Did Scott fix KB2's problem of not being consistent with his passes, especially the deep ball? Just curious.

Nov 12, 2017, 12:58 PM

Just loosen up the strings on the very conservative play calling on offense especially in the second half's and open up another can of "WHOP AS*" on them da** coots in two weeks and then all we be forgotten and we will be ready for another title run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

Note to Scott The defense won the game, not Kelly Bryant

Nov 12, 2017, 1:58 PM

I seem to remember a fumble giving the ball to FSU at the 50 yard line and our defense recovered it.

That fumble was during our fourth 3 and out

You can't win games by going 3 and out three times in a row, then fumbling the ball on the fourth series.

We have serious problems at the QB position.

Everyone in the nation can see this.

It's a shame too because the rest of the team is awesome

KB is our best chance to win football games

Nov 12, 2017, 3:05 PM

There is no Deshaun Watson on the roster. That era has passed. We don't have Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, Jordan Leggett, or Wayne Gallman either. That's going to affect the passing game.

KB's legs open up the running game. On the ETN TD run, the linebackers hesitated until they knew who had the football. That hesitation was the difference between closing the gap and almost closing the gap.

Even if Hunter Johnson is as good as advertised (a big if), he is not a mobile QB in the sense that KB is. He will need protection and receivers. ETN sucks at pass blocking. Feaster is improved, but not great. They'll get there, but they aren't there yet. A more pass happy offense means less ETN and Feaster. Or leave them in and run the risk of drive-killing negative plays.

So our coordinators are left with the following options:

1. Do what we've been doing, letting KB manage a ball control, run-first offense.
2. Put the game in the hands of a less mobile freshman QB with little run support.
3. Put the game in the hands of a less mobile freshman QB and RB with little pass protection.

Option 1 may not be great, but Options 2 and 3 aren't any better.

We often disagree.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:31 PM

I wish I could give you more credit than one lousy point for your comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB is our best chance to win football games

Nov 13, 2017, 12:01 AM [ in reply to KB is our best chance to win football games ]

I'm not so sure Hunter Johnson is less mobile than K.B. when taking all things into consideration. Since he is a better passer it will open up the running game.

Let me attempt to dissipate some of the ignorance on this...

Nov 12, 2017, 4:03 PM

thread.

The feet play a great part of a thrower's motion including but not limited to the vertical location of the ball during its flight. Below I will attempt to explain why but if you want the TL;DR version here it is. Watch the professional pitchers on the mound or in the bullpens checking the distance of their stride. They brush the last footprint out so they can see where their foot lands after their next pitch. The distance of the stride controls the vertical location. The idea is to get the release point of the ball consistent and adjust the stride to control vertical location.

For those like me who have asked 'Why,' their entire lives please be patient while I try to explain the mechanics of throwing and the relationship between the various mechanism which determine velocity and vertical location.

I think everyone can understand the relationship between velocity and the distance of a throw. If you throw it harder it will go further. Velocity becomes the critical factor in dropping it on the money.

The feet are the foundation of velocity. The legs push the hips and force rotation which in turn pushed the trunk which adds to that force and rotates the shoulders which propels the throwing arm toward the target. If there are issues with the feet the mechanism must be adjusted in other areas.

KB's ankle is still injured. The evidence is his accuracy on the long ball before the injury and his lack thereof after the injury. It's simple physics. KB is using a release point, his trunk and arm to compensate for his hurt ankle which is not functioning properly. He is not "Losing it!"

When throwing on the run the feet and legs have much less to do with the throw. Most of the control is in the trunk, shoulders and arm. Think John Elway.

We do not need KB to be 100% to kill our next two opponents. Imo, we do not need him 100% to win the ACCCCG. Past that AU is the only team we will struggle to beat, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me attempt to dissipate some of the ignorance on this...

Nov 12, 2017, 4:26 PM

HAhaha. Oh man.

Cain's Ability is IN BREAK-AWAY... Not Jumping!

Nov 12, 2017, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Let me attempt to dissipate some of the ignorance on this... ]

Good Points! Other than that... Cain's talent is in BREAK-AWAY running, Not in jumping for the ball. If a QB can get with Cain's timing, he will score multiple TD's. Williams was slower and had to compensate by using his basketball skills in jumping, which he did very well. But Cain's ability to get ahead of the defenders are just as great IF you can hit him in stride. Other QB do it... On a good team like ours, we MUST do it too!

Nov 12, 2017, 6:41 PM

Jeff what about the conservative predictable play calling? We are too predictable on offense and afraid to go deep.

Nov 14, 2017, 9:11 PM

Amen brother! Exactly, poor play calling and poor plays. How many trick plays have we called this year. None. Look at how many have been called against us. We have talent. Use it coaches! Please

Coach him up and have a backup plan

Nov 12, 2017, 9:09 PM

We are going to need him to play better to beat USC and Miami.
And CAIN needs to catch a higher percentage of balls that hit his hands.

Nov 14, 2017, 8:57 PM

If staff doesn't come up with new plays and better play calling it won't matter, we will not be productive enough to make it all the way or even make playoffs. Talent is there, coordinators are not.

I agree that we need to play 4 good qtrs down the stretch

Nov 14, 2017, 9:08 PM

Nice goal. Let's do it TIGERS!!!

Replies: 78
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic