Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My analysis of FSU.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,889

My analysis of FSU.

Nov 17, 2020, 6:23 PM

Offense:
1. Plays well on opening drive of the game, usually, then goes into the toilet the rest of the half. It is like, "When the plays are scripted and we have run them over and over again we're OK. After that we stink."
2. Jordan Travis is the only true playmaker on the team. He's not a great passer. But, he can run the zone read and the RPO and be a threat as a runner. That opens up the passing game. When he's not on the field, Chubba Purdy - a true freshman - shows promise, but is not ready for prime time. The problem is Travis can't stay healthy. He missed last week completely. He is supposed to play this week, but most fans would be shocked if he lasts the whole game.
3. Four freshman start on the OL. Nuff said.
4. Norvell is playing more and more young guys every week.

Defense:
1. 103rd in nation. 464 ypg. 36 ppg.
2. Playing younger guys on this side of the ball as well.
3. Can't set the edge on running plays. Give up a ton of yards outside the tackles.
4. Middle of the field, slot receiver and TE, seem open all the time. NCSU slot receiver (Thayer Thomas) caught 11 passes last week.
5. Many fans seem to be thinking the offensive staff will get the job done, but just as many are having serious concerns about our DC. It seems like it is more than just lack of talent. Many are thinking it is poor coaching and poor scheming.
6. When Clemson is on O watch for ETN to get to the edge consistently and watch for slants from WRs and posts from the TE to consistently be open.

General comments:
1. the culture at FSU was even worse than thought. Lack of Spring and summer practices made it harder to identify and change than expected.
2. Talent is not as good as thought either.

Conclusion:
How bad does Dabo want to make beating? I expect Clemson to come out red hot. I think that they have heard for two weeks that they are overrated.

I think the defense will especially want to "make a statement." I expect Venables to load the box, stuff the run, pressure the QB and dare the OL to block them and dare Thomas to throw it.

I think the offense will also have a chip on their shoulders. They will be healthier than they have been in weeks. They are tired of hearing "Etienne can't run. The line can't open up any holes." Travis will be Travis. He will be so happy to be back on the field that he will be chomping at the bit to play well. And, he will.

I fully expect Clemson to put up 40+ points in the first half and wouldn't be surprised if they go over 50. Dabo can name the score.l

FSU is playing harder. It appears the guys are buying in to Norvell and laying hard. They are not quitting. But, we ain't got no Bresee's in our freshman (or sophomore or junior or senior) class.

At the beginning of the year I thought that FSU would be good enough to win 7 or 8 this year, be competitive with everyone on the schedule next year except for Clemson and by 2022 be in a position to be competitive with Clemson.

Obviously, I was way too optimistic.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU...

Nov 17, 2020, 6:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

is this real?***

Nov 17, 2020, 6:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: is this real?***

Nov 17, 2020, 7:37 PM

Looks shopped to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the shadowing is slightly off.

Nov 17, 2020, 8:01 PM

I could be wrong, but I am thinking this is altered.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

yes i was there..believe me it happened***

Nov 17, 2020, 8:18 PM [ in reply to is this real?*** ]

Re: is this real?***

Nov 17, 2020, 11:25 PM [ in reply to is this real?*** ]

You do realize that it's not FSU's Seminole leader Osceola mascot but an actor who looks like him doing that. He's getting paid union scale to fall off the horse into the dung pile so it's all good.

Re: Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU... ]

haha, I remember that from tecmo bowl.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU...

Nov 17, 2020, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU... ]

Thorough analysis as always, FM. I can tell you put a lot of thought into this analysis.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that is special.***

Nov 18, 2020, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU for effective use of pixels.

Nov 18, 2020, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Francis Marion’s analysis of FSU... ]

??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My analysis of FSU.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:03 PM

Looks like you pretty much summed it up pretty good. Never thought it would take Florida State this long to make a reasonable comeback.

is this a tarp - sounds like a tarp...***

Nov 17, 2020, 7:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I posted in another thread that I thought Norvell has

Nov 17, 2020, 7:34 PM

already chalked this season up as jump start on a total program rebuild. Norvell will never say it publicly, but I don't think winning is his main objective at this point - fixing the culture and investing in/developing the young talent on the team is his main goal. If he can win a game in the process that is an added bonus. I think it is a case of accept the pain now in order to have a much brighter tomorrow.

My guess is that Dabo will want to stretch our legs a bit in the first half from being off for two weeks. If we build up a comfortable lead, I fully expect him to pull the starters in the 3rd quarter in order to reduce the chance of injury. Injuries really hurt us in the Notre Dame game and he is going to want to keep guys as healthy as possible for final stretch to make sure we get that rematch with Notre Dame in the ACC Champ game. So - I don't foresee any scenario where Dabo runs up the score with the starters...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 7:51 PM

My analysis of FSU .........

FSU offensive line weaker than a typical Group of Five offensive line. Everything else falls apart when you have a wet paper bag offensive line.

My forecast for FSU offensive line ......

Gonna suck for a couple more years. Just look at their OL recruiting.

I don’t dislike FSU. I hope they get better.

A couple years ago I met Bobby Bowden. Talked one on one for a long time. All he wanted to do was talk football. Fantastic guy. Told him I was at the puntrooskie game. He said he loves Clemson. Told him thank you for everything he had done for FSU and the ACC.

Bret, what are your thoughts on Norvell?

Nov 17, 2020, 8:40 PM

For results on the field, I understand there isn't much (good) to say.

But what about discipline and accountability? Who would you compare Norvell to? Is it too early to get a read?

Re: Bret, what are your thoughts on Norvell?

Nov 18, 2020, 6:55 AM

I am cautiously optimistic. He walked into a situation far worse than I thought it was. And, COVID - with all the restrictions of meeting with players in the spring and summer - made the job much tougher.

Here is the situation he inherited:

Jimbo Fisher was never a disciplinarian with anything off the field. And, he quit on the team his last year, so he wasn't even a disciplinarian on the field. He had mentally packed his bags for Texas A&M in September and he was just hanging around collecting his paycheck after that.

Willie Taggart came in and was a huge disappointment in terms of culture building. He was more interested in being a cheerleader and a buddy than he was a coach. After the first game of his first year the comment was, "Looks like the players spent more time practicing their dancing than they did football." He ran a very loose structure. Often talked about, "This is Florida State. The kids should have fun playing for Florida State."

The common comment, from day one, from the players when Norvell took over was, "Everything is so much more organized - meetings, practice, film room, everything." We had only 3 days of Spring practice and the players were amazed at how much more they were getting accomplished than under Taggart.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic. We are MUCH worse this year than I anticipated. The rebuild is gonna take a lot longer. Somehow, someway (transfer portal, JUCO, grad transfer, and recruiting) he's got to get better talent on the field. And, he's got to change the culture. I think his is slowly succeeding in changing the culture. Time will tell about getting the players.

Nov 18, 2020, 7:34 AM

Nice post! +1

I hardly can believe that Jimbo leaving caused this much disarray in FSU's storied program, but it seems he had let the culture slip and slide to a painfully low ebb. Once a snowball starts the downhill roll, it's hard to stop, and worse is the longer it rolls bigger it gets, and the harder it is to stop. Hopefully for all the Seminole faithful, and for the good of the conference, FSU is making the turn for better days. I remember us going through some terrible times after Danny Ford left, and it was brutal. By the time Hatfield left, he had used up all the plethora of talent Danny had built, and we took some terrible beatings for many long years. I guess it's just the nature of the beast we all love to follow, AKA college football. Have faith, my friend. This too shall pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Norvell knows this season is already in the toilet. So,

Nov 18, 2020, 8:21 AM

getting significant playing time for his younger players is only a good investment in next year. It will give him a leg up on figuring out who really has potential, vs those who are wasted schollys.

Re: Coach Norvel knows this season is already in the toilet. So,

Nov 18, 2020, 8:30 AM

You are thinking like a lot of Nole fans, including me.

It's not that he doesn't want to win the games left on the schedule. But, for lack of a better word, the players are "auditioning" for roles in next year, and the year after that.

I think he's looking at the next few games to help him determine:
1. What positions do I have to go out and get immediate help (transfers, JUCO)?
2. How many of these freshmen will starting when they are sophomores and juniors? (Remember a freshman this year will still be a freshman next year.)

Re: Coach Norvel knows this season is already in the toilet. So,

Nov 18, 2020, 9:31 AM

Spot on Bret. He's marking down the players showing grit and ability to be coached up. Yeah, they're learning, out of position... Some com issues etc but that's easily corrected. As for recruiting, he'll bring the players back if the recruits see a commitment from the staff to let the coach make the call.

The ACC is definitely on the rise. UNC, BC, Miami, FSU, VA Tech and even uva. Lot to be excited about. Be interesting next year when we're back to normal and having the games with the SEC to see just how far we've come.

And past time to give ND an ultimatum. In all the way or out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 9:42 AM

Yea well we have 3 upper classman on interior of our OL and that play like high school seniors....Advantage FSU

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

It's only an advantage if they are able to capitalize.***

Nov 18, 2020, 9:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Good analysis

Nov 18, 2020, 6:23 PM

We feel your pain from all of those years FSU was the 4,000 lb gorilla of the ACC.

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,889
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic