Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Made the mistake of going to the "state" paper web site
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Made the mistake of going to the "state" paper web site

Jan 9, 2014, 8:11 AM

yesterday. I rarely do that. Anyhow, the first thing I see on the FRONT page is a big picture and headline about a letter from Clowney thanking the s.carolina fans. I ask you this, is there a group with less shame than that outfit?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The State" may as well be renamed "The Gamecock"***

Jan 9, 2014, 8:17 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer the name of the old Columbia afternoon newspaper

Jan 9, 2014, 9:02 AM

The sister paper to The State

THE COLUMBIA RECORD

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Point for you ctiger. I agree The State is biased

Jan 9, 2014, 10:58 AM [ in reply to "The State" may as well be renamed "The Gamecock"*** ]

Nmr

Nevermind Clowney....I'm still irate about Josh Kendall's

Jan 9, 2014, 8:20 AM

votes in the final AP poll.

How that man can call himself an impartial and intelligent, professional journalist and AP voting member defies belief. Clemson at 16?

I contend that his vote was a deliberate attempt to skewer the poll to force a lower ranking for Clemson than we deserved, and I condemn him for it. I have, also, e-mailed him and expressed my contempt in no uncertain terms, albeit without resorting to name-calling nor personal attacks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

woah...back up

Jan 9, 2014, 8:30 AM

Since when is any one in the media impartial? It isn't about reporting news, It is about selling advertisements. The majority of the fans in this state are Gamecocks. That is the bad and butter do that is who is catered to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

^^^^^^^^^Ding ding ding ding ding ding......correct!***

Jan 9, 2014, 8:33 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The chickens may have a majority of fans in this state....

Jan 9, 2014, 8:52 AM [ in reply to woah...back up ]

but it a slim margin and journalists are SUPPOSED to be impartial. Kendal's vote was blatantly biased and he should be called out. I think the biggest factor in The State's reporting and articles is that most of their circulation is in the greater Cola area, undeniably chicken country. Most folks outside of there can no longer even get the paper delivered.

That's just stupid

Jan 9, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to woah...back up ]

Everybody knows that the majority of LITERATE fans in the state are Clemson fans. The State is wasting its money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should have a probation period

Jan 9, 2014, 8:39 AM

For AP voters who have obviously made an unjust vote based on personal biased. Like 3 years of no vote for the individual. I mean he could have at least disguised it a little better, maybe put Clemson at 10 or 12. But 16 is obvious, you would think we had lost the orange bowl to get a 16 vote.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would you go about proving that the vote was

Jan 9, 2014, 9:19 AM

based on personal bias?

the next lowest voter had us at what, #12 ? and that was

Jan 9, 2014, 10:54 AM

only 1 person (paul brown). #16 is 4 spots differet from the next worst. heck, josh kendall should have to prove his vote WASN'T biased !

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can you prove something subjective like this?

Jan 9, 2014, 11:10 AM

4 spots isn't that big a difference, really. If he had FSU at #16, I could see it being pretty obvious that something's up, but even then, how could you prove it?

Here's a fairly scientic method ...

Jan 9, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to How would you go about proving that the vote was ]

...to prove errancy, if not bias:

Take all the votes and create a Bell curve. The norm is in the center, with outliers on each side.

In this case, Robert Cessna was the extreme outlier on the high side as the only voter putting Clemson 4th. The was also the only voter to put UCS out of the top 10. Clearly his vote can be questioned, but his placement of both Clemson and UCS was only one position away from several other voters.

Using a Bell curve, a vote between 6 and 10 would be deemed "normal" for Clemson. Votes of 5th and 11th (there were a total of 5 such votes) are anominals, and any others are outliers to be questions.

His vote of 16th was a full 6 positions outside the low end of normal on that curve. Since he is fully aware of Clemson's performance this year, error shuld not be a factor.

That leaves only bias as an option.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So basically, they should not be allowed to have opinions

Jan 9, 2014, 11:34 AM

That differ from the others significantly?

I do not think you can punish or silence someone for having a differing opinion. I don't think it's right to manipulate the voting. I just don't know how you can go about telling Josh Kendall, "That's not your opinion!"

He just answered your question and you asked it again.***

Jan 9, 2014, 11:40 AM

No, his post said that Kendall's ranking of Clemson was

Jan 9, 2014, 11:47 AM

An outlier, and it definitely is. I'm saying you cannot automatically assume it's a manipulative vote just because it's an outlier.

For example, I think the Beatles are awful. I realize my opinion is an outlier, but that doesn't mean I'm personally biased against them, or that I'm trying manipulate their place in music history.

I don't agree with Kendall's poll any more than you do, but I don't see why he should have his vote taken away just because it's different.

Re: No, his post said that Kendall's ranking of Clemson was

Jan 9, 2014, 11:50 AM

and you vote against The Beatles?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: No, his post said that Kendall's ranking of Clemson was

Jan 9, 2014, 12:12 PM [ in reply to No, his post said that Kendall's ranking of Clemson was ]

Actually if you admit that you think the Beatles are aweful and thusly voted them lower on a list, based on your opinion and not on their accomplishments, that is a bias! The polls, while subjective, should be based on verifiable accomplishment, not opinion.

No, the polls are definitely subjective.

Jan 9, 2014, 12:44 PM

You can take into account a number of different objective factors, but at the end, it's mostly subjective. Else, why have humans do it in the first place? Just let computers rank the teams if you want an objective ranking.

Re: So basically, they should not be allowed to have opinions

Jan 9, 2014, 1:01 PM [ in reply to So basically, they should not be allowed to have opinions ]

No, only Ron Morris cannot have opinions not expressly approved by The OBC.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you vote your opinion based on like or dislike, you are

Jan 9, 2014, 1:19 PM [ in reply to So basically, they should not be allowed to have opinions ]

not doing your job. Nobody in their right mind thinks Clemson deserved to be #16 after winning a BCS game and going 11-2. You can say "it's his opinion" all day, but it's also his job. Do it right.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

The playoffs will make voters and votes insignificant.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to They should have a probation period ]

Even in it's infant stage the playoff will ignore voting. As the playoffs grow the voting will ignored more and more in the selection process.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder who actually wrote that letter for Clowney

Jan 9, 2014, 11:01 AM

There is no doubt that was just a PR bit for the coots

Re: I wonder who actually wrote that letter for Clowney

Jan 9, 2014, 11:04 AM

What do you think all those "interns" who volunteer for the AD do?

Re: Made the mistake of going to the "state" paper web site

Jan 9, 2014, 1:04 PM

Should Barker have been suspended from US News voting after his ballot was called into question for his opinion.

Tell 'em coot

Jan 9, 2014, 1:55 PM

University of
Second
Choice

No one, with a pulse, is turned down at USCheat.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic