Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On a side note, I showed some real estate to a 93 year old
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

On a side note, I showed some real estate to a 93 year old

Mar 17, 2013, 9:41 AM

WWII Vet yesterday. His family came here from Canada just before the depression and they ended up leaving him at the age of 13 to work on a farm. He lied about his age to enlist in the Navy to fight in WWII. Well, he was on a ship sailing in Nome,Alaska and fishing off the side of the ship, when an older fella walked up beside him and put down a stool to sit with him while he fished. It was FDR....pretty cool. I have never met anyone who met him personally like that. He said he caught a salmon and President Roosevelt wanted it to have his cook prepare it. I will try to get the rest of the story today.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FDR just strolling around on a ship's deck?

Mar 17, 2013, 9:58 AM

Color me skeptical. Even with leg braces and a cane, I imagine that would have been very difficult for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I specifically asked him if he was in his wheelchair and he

Mar 17, 2013, 2:07 PM

said no. You do realize that even when he was wheel chair bound, he could still stand at times. Anyway, I will hopefully see him at 4 today and get some verification for you peckerheads. From my client, NOT FDR!

I'm guessing this 93 year-old guy is maybe having a little

Mar 17, 2013, 4:26 PM

dementia, 'cause I really doubt Roosevelt was walking around on the deck of a ship in Alaska at that time.

Roosevelt lost the ability to walk in 1921***

Mar 17, 2013, 9:59 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roosevelt lost the ability to walk in 1921***

Mar 17, 2013, 10:07 AM

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq49-1.htm

Presidential Visits to Naval Ships

This list includes ship visits by presidents, during their terms as president, presently known to the Ships History Branch. There have undoubtedly been others; any additional information would be appreciated. Commissioned presidential yachts are included though these were not, strictly speaking, "visits to Navy ships" since these yachts were not part of the operating forces. The yacht Sequoia is listed under F.D. Roosevelt only, the only period during which she was in commission. Small craft, such as the motor boats used by a number of presidents after World War II, are not included. Individual ship histories are included in the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

F. D. Roosevelt (1933-45) Yacht Sequoia (1933-36)
Heavy cruiser Houston (1934; 1935; 1938; 1939)

Yacht Potomac (1936-45)
Heavy cruiser Indianapolis (1933; 1936)
Destroyer Phelps (1937)

Light cruiser Philadelphia (1938)
Heavy cruiser Tuscaloosa (1939, 1940)
Heavy cruiser Augusta (1941)

British battleship HMS Prince of Wales (1941)
Light cruiser Memphis (1943)
British seagoing tug Aimwell (1943)
Small seaplane tender Humboldt (1943)
Battleship Iowa (1943)

Heavy cruiser Baltimore (1944)
Destroyer Cummings (1944)
Heavy cruiser Quincy (1945)
Amphibious command ship Catoctin (1945)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what's your point?

Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 AM

I'm sure he did visit all of those ships in his wheelchair.

Spud wouldn't lie.

Mar 17, 2013, 10:11 AM

He is a fisherman. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ummmm...

Mar 17, 2013, 10:14 AM

wut he said.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spud wouldn't lie.

Mar 17, 2013, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Spud wouldn't lie. ]

And fishermen don't lie about the big one that got away,or about the catch they did make!

not #### dude. just information. did i say he wasn't in

Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 AM [ in reply to what's your point? ]

his wheel chair jackoff?

touchy aren't we?***

Mar 17, 2013, 10:20 AM

only IN YOUR WHEELCHAIR apparently.***

Mar 17, 2013, 10:22 AM

Maybe we can be regaled with some tales of FDR climbing

Mar 17, 2013, 10:27 AM

Mount McKinley

maybe it's called an adult stroller for a reason?***

Isn't it easier to give the 93 year old WWII vet a pass for

Mar 17, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Maybe we can be regaled with some tales of FDR climbing ]

his description of FDR's method of mobility, rather than basically calling him out as untruthful??

People who fought in WWII, my Dad was one of them, had a great deal of repsect for FDR. If my Dad had such an experience, out of respect for FDR, he may have used a word such as "strolling" or "touring" the deck as opposed to describing FDR's wheel chair needs.

Just something to consider......

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DOOD,

Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Roosevelt lost the ability to walk in 1921*** ]

when you find Noah's ark you don't complain about the holes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DOOD,

Mar 17, 2013, 10:11 AM

you're right. I'm forgetting where we are

If memory serves an old man like me I can honestly say

Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 AM

that FDR walked many times after that. Seems I remember readind that he didn't like being seen and a wheelchair and still retained some ability to stand.

I don't really know, I wasn't there so I'll take the other old man's word for it.

I was comparing the story to a Noah's ark find for it's rarity and didn't mean that it's a fabrication. I hope Spud didn't take it that way.

He was able to stand with the aid of a brace

Mar 17, 2013, 10:30 AM

and more like waddle short distances by swinging his body back and forth. Highly unlikely he was strolling the decks of a ship in the Bering Sea.

Nope. I did not.***

Mar 17, 2013, 2:08 PM [ in reply to If memory serves an old man like me I can honestly say ]

Re: On a side note, I showed some real estate to a 93 year old

Mar 17, 2013, 10:06 AM

WOW! As a fellow realtor, I have met some very interesting people from all "walks of life" over the years. I don't know that I can top this, however.

Please post whatever else you can find out...will be interesting to many of us.

Fisherman to fisherman here...

Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 AM

I'm impressed. point

mentioning the wheelchair was taboo

back in the day. So what if FDR didn't "walk up" to the young sailor. People didn't discuss the chair. So when the sailor has retold the story over the years, FDR has always 'walked up' because he could have never said wheeled up out of respect for the office.

To me the story is quite plausible based on the veterans age and the timelines offered by others regarding naval visits.

On of the better stories I've read on here as of late. Much better than the ones beginning "I goats me this here Coot friend har had har, etc"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

goats?***

Mar 17, 2013, 10:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Give the ol man a break.

Mar 17, 2013, 10:44 AM

I'm more amazed he's out looking at real estate. Never to old for investment property. ;)

Re: On a side note, I showed some real estate to a 93 year old

Mar 17, 2013, 10:55 AM

That's a great story. I expect that Mr Roosevelt could have done this. He was a great man.
With that said, about a year ago I also met an old air force vet who really impressed me with some of his tales. He was a dive bomber pilot in the 'big war'. He also said he was a fullback for TCU prior to the war and knew coach Howard. He told me about the time that he came to Death Valley to play and met the coach. Unfortunately, we didn't play TCU until 1959 in the Bluebonnet Bowl. I contacted the Horned Frogs athletic department and they had no record of this gentleman playing for them! Just Sayin'.

Re: goats?***

Mar 17, 2013, 11:30 AM

My Galaxy took some predictive liberties with that last line. Perhaps I try to introduce that to the TNet lexicon along the lines of deer and grade of slaw. OK, I goats to go now

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How old did you have to be to enlist?

Mar 17, 2013, 11:58 AM

seems like he would have been old enough.

Re: How old did you have to be to enlist?

Mar 17, 2013, 12:19 PM

True. He would have been born in 1920 and war wasn't declared until 1941. Even if he enlisted when things 'heated up' in 1939 he would have been 18. Beware war stories!

Hope nobody stoops so low as to criticize Fala***

Mar 17, 2013, 12:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would he lie about his age to fight in WWII if he

Mar 17, 2013, 2:02 PM

is 93 and was in his 20's when we got into the war?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The USS Memphis was based in Alaska from 1938-41.

Mar 17, 2013, 4:09 PM

Not sure if FDR came aboard then, though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are indeed a "great generation" and should be cherished

Mar 17, 2013, 4:11 PM

as they're so few today.

My father, who is 92, was in the Army Air Corps and stationed in Panama when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Some GI's told him about the attack and he didn't believe them.

Recently he gave me a fur lined winter coat that was issued to him for a mission to Russia. The Russians changed their minds, refused the US a refueling base on their soil, and the mission was scrubbed.

It always amazes me he can remember stuff from 70 years ago, but can't remember the Brave's score from last night.

I agree 100%. My wife's Grandfather was one of the origional

Mar 17, 2013, 4:50 PM

Merrill's Marauders (now known as the Army Ranger's if I'm not mistaken) who signed on knowing only that, "His country needed him for an extremely dangerous mission that was highly probable he wouldn't return from." The man lived 12 days in a Burmese jungle with 2 gun shot wounds before he could get real medical treatment. Regardless of the possibility of an aged man getting his facts confused, that generation deserves the utmost respect.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FDR was Assistant Secretary of the Navy from 1913-20.....

Mar 17, 2013, 4:53 PM

So if this guy was 13 that would have been around 1920.... could have happened.... but not during WWII

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic