Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there a way to short the ticket market?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Is there a way to short the ticket market?

Jan 5, 2017, 2:58 PM

Outside of the pre-ordering deals that are offered?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Is there a way to short the ticket market?

Jan 5, 2017, 3:00 PM

Like as in you borrow 17,500 tickets and wait for the market to go a lot higher...then you make your cut on the short and pay everyone for their tickets?

No.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nevermind..found an answer.

Jan 5, 2017, 3:00 PM

Basically this is saying that the market prices might be falsely inflated by short sellers who are advertising tickets that are not really in hand.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-short-sellers-made-the-bcs-championship-game-the-hottest-sports-ticket-ever-2011-1

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Nevermind..found an answer.

Jan 5, 2017, 3:06 PM

I don't think that's the case for StubHub. Maybe other sites. StubHub requires seat numbers. There may be other sites selling short but I don't think that's many tickets because there aren't many listed on other sites.

Re: Nevermind..found an answer.

Jan 5, 2017, 3:53 PM

That's not true. For the Superbowl last year there was a well advertised short-squeeze- guys who sold tickets expecting prices to go down were suddenly caught trying to fill those requests causing a large price bubble.

If I remember correctly I believe Stubhub took some measures to reduce the possibility of it happening again but I believe they still allow a number of approved brokers to sell on the site.

TL;DR

Jan 5, 2017, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Nevermind..found an answer. ]

You should've read the article. It was all about StubHub (specifically) over-selling tickets and subsequently losing $3M. So, yeah, StubHub is currently over-inflating the ticket prices by offering tickets at inflated prices that they don't actually have.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there a way to short the ticket market?

Jan 5, 2017, 3:02 PM

There is a way but unless you got about a million dollars then there is no way.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic