Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is GT ready to get serious about FB? If not...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Is GT ready to get serious about FB? If not...

Nov 28, 2018, 6:02 PM

Poaching from Clemson is short sighted. I know they’re just rumors for now, but word to the wise GT...

If you interview/hire Jeff or Tony, don’t expect them to play your previous Paul Johnson-Dollar General version of football.

-You need facilities upgrades, big time.

-You need to be ready to endure a couple of CRAP years as your on-field philosophy changes.

-You need booster money...like...a lot of it since stuff isn’t cheap in Atlanta.

-You need fan, student, staff and player buy-in.

I’m not putting you down GT. Honestly, I’d love to see Tony or Jeff get their shot (sorry, I think Venables is staying home with junior for now).

But please, if you don’t intend to give them what they need to succeed...just don’t bother.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd make them commit to 5 years with a buyout and a

Nov 28, 2018, 6:06 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is GT ready to get serious about FB? If not...

Nov 28, 2018, 6:19 PM

Now wouldn't it be ironic if GT were to hire a Clemson engineering grad as their head football coach.

Nov 28, 2018, 6:37 PM

Any young coach going to Georgia Tech will be there three years top, maybe two. Academic requirements -- calculus? Physics? Required? -- and an awesome lack of liberal arts offerings almost dooms the program in today's world. I mean let's not pretend our football players are neck deep in academia here. They take a football curriculum. GT doesn't have such an animal. Arguments can be made, but I would not imagine an assistant who has had what Clemson has is going to spend five minutes pondering Georgia Tech. Tech will also be a team that can sneak up on you, and maybe in the mix once a decade. But no Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, etc., etc. What they should do, however, is in fairness to all declare their intent.

If Stanford can do it, why not GT?

Nov 28, 2018, 6:49 PM

Obviously they'd have to make a commitment to invest in the program, but it's not unthinkable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Stanford can do it, why not GT?

Nov 28, 2018, 6:51 PM

This is also a very fair point.

Nov 28, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Is GT ready to get serious about FB? If not... ]

Ah yes, the bullet point I forgot.

A football friendly major.

They need that too, or more pointedly, the humility to admit they need it.

Nov 28, 2018, 6:58 PM

Good insight! Dead on-

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Les Miles would have been an ideal candidate for GT.

Nov 28, 2018, 7:07 PM

They could use an older coach, maybe retired or now in pros, that can sell the admin and nerd grads on facilities and more connectivity with Atlanta's corporate climate, as well as attract players that feel they're being coached up for the NFL. Going up-and-coming would be a 3-year setback for the program and a career-buster for that unfortunate coach.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic