Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns

Nov 1, 2020, 8:54 PM

I will provide ours first (warning: lengthy. I’ll break it into two pieces in case anyone wants to skip. Plus I may come back later to do the defense)

Ian Book, 5th year QB: Is inconsistent, but not prone to turning the ball over often. Came in for Brandon Wimbush following a close win over Ball State in 2018 and has remained the starter since. Ends up with some nice stats, but has not shown an ability to throw downfield with accuracy or willingness. Very good at scrambling and will graduate as the top career rushing QB at ND. Sometimes he is too eager to scramble and creates a quarterback hurry in an otherwise sturdy pocket.

RB Kyren Williams (RSFr.) and Chris Tyree (true fr.): Kyren is very shifty and often gets extra yards. He’s pretty good out of the backfield as a receiver too and not bad at pass blocking. He may lack top end speed. Tyree may run a 4.3 but lacks some of the shiftiness Williams possesses. Both have had fumbling issues this year. I would say we have had more RB fumbles this season than the previous three combined.

WR, Javon McKinley (5th year), Ben Skowronek (Grad transfer), Avery Davis (Sr.):
This is an area of weakness after losing Kevin Austin and Braden Lenzy to injury. Those were our speed guys that can threaten you downfield. McKinley is a big bodies receiver who was a four star in hs and can move pretty well. However, he lacks consistency with his hands and struggles to create separation. Skowronek is a tall receiver from Northwestern. Not ideal that he is now starting, but he has a pretty big catch radius and can get up. Again, not great at separating. Davis is a converted QB who also played some defense. He has a lot of athleticism and is proving himself very useful despite some low expectations. They all struggle creating separation though.

TE, Tommy Tremble (JR.), Brock Wright (Sr.), Michael Mayer (Freshmen): these guys may all play in the NFL and we often try to get 2-3 of them on the field at once. Tremble may be the best blocking tight end I’ve seen but is also a threat in the passing game. Wright was the #1 tight end in his class and is a very reliable blocker. Mayer was a 5* in his class and is already leading the team in receiving I believe. He’s built like Kyle Rudolph already and is very physical.

OL, Liam Eichenberg (LT, 5th year), Aaron Banks (LG, Sr.), Jarrett Patterson (C, JR.), Tommy Kraemer (RG, 5th year), Robert Hainsey (RT, Sr.): If tight end isn’t the strongest part of our team then the OL is. This is the same line that was starting in 2018, with the exception of Patterson who has replaced Sam Mustipher after his graduation. If there is a weakness, it is Kraemer, who actually was the highest rated of the group in hs. At one point recently PFF rated all OL regardless of position and Hainsey, Patterson, Eichenberg, and Banks were in the top 8. As in 4 of the top 8 OL at any position. Typically Kelly’s OL are better pass blockers, but this unit has been better at run blocking. They have allowed some pressure in recent weeks, so it will be interesting to see what happens when Brent Venables stacks the box and brings heat to make Book and the wr beat him. Kelly has been attempting to practice the passing game the last three weeks because he knows it will be needed to beat Clemson or either of the other two big teams (Alabama and Ohio State). It has had mixed success but he has tried to force it and the running yards have dipped a little as a result.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns

Nov 1, 2020, 9:26 PM

Defense

DE, Daelin Hayes (5th year), Ade Ogundeji (5th year): they’re now similar players but come from different backgrounds. Hayes was a 5* that took time to develop, despite playing a lot of snaps early, while Ade was a project who has developed into a very good pass rusher. We have some depth here, with Ovie Oghoufo and Justin Ademilola subbing in with little drop off, as well as talented sophomore Isaiah Foskey who reminds us a lot of Stephon Tuitt. Our strength is in depth here.

DT, Kurt Hinish (Sr.), Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa (Sr.): Lot of experience here and they’re finally healthy. Pretty solid lunch pail guys but I don’t expect either to play in NFL. They do their job well against the run and sometimes get QB pressure as well. Jacob Lacey is a sophomore with high potential and Jayson Adrmilola rotates in top with little drop off. Again a lot of depth on the DL this year.

LB, Jeremiah Owuso-Karamoah (SR.), Drew White (Sr.) OR Bo Bauer (JR.), Shayne Simon (JR.) OR Marist Liufau (Soph. Out first half): JOK will be a first round draft pick next spring and is a problem. The guy is fast, instinctual, hits hard, and is great against the pass and run. He may only be behind Jaylon Smith in that he has not gotten as much praise since being 16. The other two spots are moving pieces and may be exposed this weekend. White and Bauer are similar players— each hits hard and plays with high motor— but I would consider them each poor man’s Drue Tranquills with limited speed. Simon was a big recruit but has not shown instincts. Drew Kiser played well in two games but was isolated during the covid outbreak a month ago and has not found the field again. Mostly sound tackling across our defense, but outside of JOK there is a combination of lacking speed or instincts.

CB, Tariq Bracy (Jr.) and Nick McCloud (Grad transfer): Bracy is a pretty dependable player, albeit not Troy Pride. McCloud transferred from NC State after starting a ton of games there the last few years and has been pretty reliable as well. They are both pretty good in coverage but neither are ball hawks in terms of turnovers. The Clemson game in 2018 is the only game the last few years I can remember our corners getting burnt.

Safeties Kyle Hamilton (Soph), Shaun Crawford (6th year): Hamilton will be a first round pick and is very similar to Minkah Fitzpatrick. He’s a former 5* who can cover WR and tight ends or make plays in the backfield. He’s 6’4, 220 and has great instincts. Crawford has pretty good instincts too and has ended up with the ball a ton in the last 6 seasons. He was a decent 4* recruit way back when, but is undersized at 5’9, 180 and also is not the fastest after tearing both ACL’s and an Achilles since coming to Notre Dame. He has been moved to safety and has been able to play well there after being a nickel.

Kicker: Jonathon Doerer has been pretty reliable the last two years and has a pretty big leg.

Punter: Jay Bramblett has been more reliable this year after a shaky freshmen campaign. He was the number 1 punter in his class.

Defense

DE, Daelin Hayes (5th year), Ade Ogundeji (5th year): they’re now similar players but come from different backgrounds. Hayes was a 5* that took time to develop, despite playing a lot of snaps early, while Ade was a project who has developed into a very good pass rusher. We have some depth here, with Ovie Oghoufo and Justin Ademilola subbing in with little drop off, as well as talented sophomore Isaiah Foskey who reminds us a lot of Stephon Tuitt. Our strength is in depth here.

DT, Kurt Hinish (Sr.), Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa (Sr.): Lot of experience here and they’re finally healthy. Pretty solid lunch pail guys but I don’t expect either to play in NFL. They do their job well against the run and sometimes get QB pressure as well. Jacob Lacey is a sophomore with high potential and Jayson Adrmilola rotates in top with little drop off. Again a lot of depth on the DL this year.

LB, Jeremiah Owuso-Karamoah (SR.), Drew White (Sr.) OR Bo Bauer (JR.), Shayne Simon (JR.) OR Marist Liufau (Soph. Out first half): JOK will be a first round draft pick next spring and is a problem. The guy is fast, instinctual, hits hard, and is great against the pass and run. He may only be behind Jaylon Smith in that he has not gotten as much praise since being 16. The other two spots are moving pieces and may be exposed this weekend. White and Bauer are similar players— each hits hard and plays with high motor— but I would consider them each poor man’s Drue Tranquills with limited speed. Simon was a big recruit but has not shown instincts. Drew Kiser played well in two games but was isolated during the covid outbreak a month ago and has not found the field again. Mostly sound tackling across our defense, but outside of JOK there is a combination of lacking speed or instincts.

CB, Tariq Bracy (Jr.) and Nick McCloud (Grad transfer): Bracy is a pretty dependable player, albeit not Troy Pride. McCloud transferred from NC State after starting a ton of games there the last few years and has been pretty reliable as well. They are both pretty good in coverage but neither are ball hawks in terms of turnovers. The Clemson game in 2018 is the only game the last few years I can remember our corners getting burnt.

Safeties Kyle Hamilton (Soph), Shaun Crawford (6th year): Hamilton will be a first round pick and is very similar to Minkah Fitzpatrick. He’s a former 5* who can cover WR and tight ends or make plays in the backfield. He’s 6’4, 220 and has great instincts. Crawford has pretty good instincts too and has ended up with the ball a ton in the last 6 seasons. He was a decent 4* recruit way back when, but is undersized at 5’9, 180 and also is not the fastest after tearing both ACL’s and an Achilles since coming to Notre Dame. He has been moved to safety and has been able to play well there after being a nickel.

Kicker: Jonathon Doerer has been pretty reliable the last two years and has a pretty big leg.

Punter: Jay Bramblett has been more reliable this year after a shaky freshmen campaign. He was the number 1 punter in his class.

Defense

Thanks for input. Not trying to be a jerk but

Nov 1, 2020, 9:32 PM

Don’t get so crazy with the click button. You’ll #### off all the old timers for having to read your message more than once.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for input. Not trying to be a jerk but

Nov 1, 2020, 10:33 PM

I apologize. I hit it from my phone and it didn’t look like it was loading. Tried deleting but couldn’t figure it out. Any advice so it isn’t muddled up for people trying to view the thread? Can also try from a laptop. Thanks in advance.

Good post, informative (& sadly a rarity)****

Nov 2, 2020, 4:09 AM

Don't worry about it....

Nov 2, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for input. Not trying to be a jerk but ]

Most everyone does it a time or two.....besides, you are a guest and don't know the TNet ins and outs.

Now back to reading what you have to say.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, so you believe he intentially multi-posted? Crazed perspective*

Nov 2, 2020, 4:21 AM [ in reply to Thanks for input. Not trying to be a jerk but ]

Unlikely but ok

He might have a bump stock on his phone.......***

Nov 2, 2020, 7:05 AM [ in reply to Thanks for input. Not trying to be a jerk but ]

ND has an advantage in the kicking game

Nov 1, 2020, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns ]

>50 yds, your guy has been solid and I’ve always felt that home field helps kickers as much as anything.

Hope it doesn’t come down to that.

Dunno about that

Nov 1, 2020, 10:10 PM

Potter has been terrific this season (as long as the line isn’t allowing penetration and blocked kicks). I feel good about out kicking game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 4:37 AM

Excellent post. Need more like this. Thanks for taking the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 6:55 PM

I believe the OP was looking for a reciprocal effort from our side ...

He seems to be one of the classier opponent fans we’ve had...

In that spirit ..I’ll give a limited break down..

I don’t have the time or expertise for much more ...

Offense
O-Line / Breaking in some new starters this year..they’ve been just fine on pass blocking ...run blocking has been inconsistent...on paper these are talented guys...we’re all waiting on them to meet their potential

TE - Deep and talented ..good potential for mismatches when our OC chooses to utilize this position group

WR - Injuries and youth have left us inconsistent here ...Amari Rodgers has been the only consistent WR but he’s been very good... when some of the less experienced WRs get healthy and seasoned they will be a real problem for opposing DCs.. We’re all hoping that happens soon

RB - ETN is a beast ....and often overcomes our poor run blocking in spectacular fashion..he’s also a legit threat catching the ball...

I’ll continue with more in a bit..

Nov 3, 2020, 10:12 AM

Its Notre Dame dude...I have yet to run into a classless fan from that base...Very top notch people..

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Nov 2, 2020, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns ]

I believe the OP was looking for a reciprocal effort from our side ...

He seems to be one of the classier opponent fans we’ve had...

In that spirit ..I’ll give a limited break down..

I don’t have the time or expertise for much more ...

Offense
O-Line / Breaking in some new starters this year..they’ve been just fine on pass blocking ...run blocking has been inconsistent...on paper these are talented guys...we’re all waiting on them to meet their potential

TE - Deep and talented ..good potential for mismatches when our OC chooses to utilize this position group

WR - Injuries and youth have left us inconsistent here ...Amari Rodgers has been the only consistent WR but he’s been very good... when some of the less experienced WRs get healthy and seasoned they will be a real problem for opposing DCs.. We’re all hoping that happens soon

RB - ETN is a beast ....and often overcomes our poor run blocking in spectacular fashion..he’s also a legit threat catching the ball...

I’ll continue with more in a bit..

Nov 2, 2020, 7:11 PM

RB continued..big drop off after ETN..
Not a knock on our RBs as much as a compliment to ETN (we believe him to be one of the best CFB backs in recent history )

QB - Obviously Trevor is out ..based on limited data set DJU appears to be everything you’d expect from a recruit of his caliber ...we’ve had some great QBs lately ..DJU looks to be the next in line to follow that pattern.. he doesn’t play like a freshmen and probably would have been the starter the moment he stepped on campus at 85 -90% of Div 1 schools... beyond DJU we’ll have Some issues against a school like ND...

Nov 2, 2020, 7:26 PM

Defense

D-Line
Looks more like what everyone’s come to expect from a Clemson D-Line...
They are young but Very talented ...probably more talent than the monster D-line ND saw when we last played ..however they are young ...Bresee , Murphy , and Davis are very disruptive ...

Corners
Younger group but loaded with talent ...they will make some mistakes but have the raw athletic ability to often overcome the mistakes ... google Andrew Booth one handed pick and watch the clip - you’ll see what I mean as far as talent ..no hyperbole I think this is the most talented group of corners we’ve had in a while - they just need experience,.

Safeties - Not flashy but smart ...rely on technique and smarts over raw athletic ability- Nolan Turner has a knack for being in the right place - he’d lead the nation in picks if not for an int that was called back in the BC game ..

LBs - Mix of what you see from our safeties and cb’s...and by that I mean there are some 5 star talents mixed in with some guys that will likely not play in the NFL .. but like to hit and play disciplined....Skalski is the Heart of our LB corps and probably our defense ...he’s injured and will be missed ...his back up is Jake Venables (our DCs son) - he stated this week that he’s taking his prep to the next level - I’ll say this _ he plays like he’s Venables kid (and that’s a big compliment)

Nov 2, 2020, 7:32 PM

Special teams....

Meh ..

In a word - inconsistent ..

Our place kicker is scary ..sometimes for you (when he nails a 50 yarder)...sometimes for us (when he misses and XP or chip shot)...
He does typically launch kick offs through the endzone..
Our punter is generally pretty good..

ST's are consistently a weakness****

Nov 3, 2020, 12:06 AM

Nov 2, 2020, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns ]

The focus on that interception was something else. It seemed like the calls that overturned a couple of Jurk interceptions last weekend were iffy at best.

What happened to Ngata at receiver? Amari Rodgers is fun to watch and it’s a shame from a football fan perspective than Ross is out for the year. I hope he has a successful NFL career and can get healthy.

Thank you for your breakdown. That is scary that you guys have a more talented DL than in 2018. I can’t remember a better DL than that.

Nov 2, 2020, 7:46 PM

Ngata and Ladson have both been dealing with injuries ..

There’s a possibility they are back healthy for the game against You guys ...

Both are very talented and potential difference makers...

I failed to mention our return game ..

15th in NCAA on KO returns avg
30th On punt return avg

Amari and ETN can break one in the return game -

I'd say pump the brakes a little on the D line

Nov 2, 2020, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Interested in trading depth chart breakdowns ]

It is a very talented group and much much improved from last year, but I wouldn't say more talented than 2018 group. Not yet anyway

They're probably better now than the 2018 group was at this point in their career (although Wilkins and Big Dex might have something to say about that). But as far as this group now vs 2018 I'd say 2018 is better.

Can't wait to see this group in another few years though and will enjoy the times while I can

Re: I'd say pump the brakes a little on the D line

Nov 3, 2020, 1:04 AM

True, their projections coming out of HS are higher collectively but the DE's...we can't consistently pressure the QB using only 4 down linemen?both pos groups loaded w/ 4&5?s(still have hope that XT develops into a legit threat, a 1st or early 2nd rnd NFL pick, as a pass rusher & the rest of the roster, at present, realistically can see only 2 players that can potentially develop into an elite pass rushers as 4-3 DE's; both true freshman: MM & currently undersized as a DE, LB Trenton Simpson)

Re: I'd say pump the brakes a little on the D line

Nov 3, 2020, 1:07 AM [ in reply to I'd say pump the brakes a little on the D line ]

No doubt the 2018 group was amazing ...
It’s a bit of splitting hairs to argue the comparison ..but consider this ...
Based on 247 composite recruit rankings ...
Our current D line has 4 of our 10 highest rated recruits of all time (not sure how far back the database goes but Roscoe Crosby made the top 10 as well)....
That’s top recruits at any position...

So based on that metric nearly half of the best recruits we’ve ever had are currently on our D-Line ...

Certainly they are a young group at this point but as they get experience they potentially have a higher ceiling than the 2018 group...

Dexter Lawrence also made the same top ten list as well...

Seems to be a very experienced team...

Nov 2, 2020, 7:10 PM

How's the depth on defense? Seems Clemson generally wears teams out in the second half.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems to be a very experienced team...

Nov 2, 2020, 7:36 PM

How's the depth on defense? Seems Clemson generally wears teams out in the second half.

Our depth and conditioning on defense is about as good as it’s been under Kelly. However... if Hamilton or JOK go down it would be similar to Julian Love going out and I would foresee Dabo immediately attacking the replacement as much as possible and with success.

Nov 2, 2020, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Seems to be a very experienced team... ]

Our depth and conditioning on defense is about as good as it’s been under Kelly. However... if Hamilton or JOK go down it would be similar to Julian Love going out and I would foresee Dabo immediately attacking the replacement as much as possible and with success.

Nov 2, 2020, 8:13 PM

I have no idea how it did it that time. I’ll pump the brakes.

I-Phone...?***

Nov 2, 2020, 8:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I-Phone...?***

Nov 2, 2020, 9:54 PM

Yep - that’d be my guess
My I-phone does that routinely...

Nov 3, 2020, 9:46 AM

A key element that has been missing in our replies to the OP is injuries on D. Of course TL being out is news. What is not expressed much on ESPN is our injuries on D. 2 starting LBs have been injured. One will NOT be back (the heart and soul of the D, Skalski). The other MAY return. He’s the one that is often covering the TE and would be missed if he can’t make it (Jones). Our DL is missing the most important piece, DT Tyler Davis, our best DL player currently and key in stopping the run game. He may be back, but I think more likely not. If he and Skalski are both out, those are the two most important pieces in stopping the run game. That would be a huge win for ND’s chances in this game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2020, 10:13 AM

Davis and Jones will be back...Skalski will not...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Nov 3, 2020, 11:43 AM

As I stated above, Skalski is out. If you have some legitimate source that Jones and Davis will be back, I'd love to see it. I can find nothing to verify that, just speculation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2020, 11:59 AM

Both of those first-rounders are listed on the depth chart. First-rounder Skalski is not.

hth

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Every single one of our boys will be first-rounders

Nov 3, 2020, 10:43 AM

And if you think I'm talking only about the starters, let me tell you something, The Gipper. I mean every ONE of our boys. When the starters take the field, you're looking at first-rounders at every position. When the first guy comes off the bench, that's another first-rounder.

When the coach yells Pride Group, go on in, we got these boys whipped already, that's another whole group of first-rounders. Mop-up time? Send in more first-rounders. They'll just keep scoring. Won't be trying to RUTS they just can't help it, so I apologize in advance for that.

I'm not done, either. The 85 scholarship limit means there's just not enough room to give all of our first-rounders a free education. That's why Clemson is the only college football program in the country with walk-ons destined to be drafted in the first round.

So, don't take it to heart when we RUTS on you. We'll truly be trying to run out the clock, but our phenomenal talent simply can't help scoring. It's not personal, The Gipper.

Message was edited by: David78®

The definition of awesome!

Re: Every single one of our boys will be first-rounders

Nov 3, 2020, 1:40 PM

Sounds good. Thank you for your input

Clemson Offense

Nov 3, 2020, 6:45 PM

QB: DJ Uiagalelei - you probably have the same sample size we do. His arm is elite but it will be interesting how much Clemson uses him in the run game. I think the coaches were being cautious against BC with his shoulder injury that held him out of GT. He seemed to have trouble with accuracy throwing across his body, but he also made NFL caliber passes that make you say WOW. It will also be interesting to see how aggressive the play calling is in the passing game.

RB: Travis Etienne - best running back in the country. We have trouble running between the tackles early and I expect that to be the case Saturday. He is a major threat in the passing game with screens, flats, angles, and wheel routes. Lyn-J Dixon is the second RB. He has nice change of direction but is not as athletic as Etienne.

WR: Ladson/Ngata are the two receivers Clemson fans had highest hopes for this season. Ngata looks like the Julio Jones but has been limited with abdomen injuries. Ladson is our best deep threat (also has had injuries) but he has dropped some easy passes. Amari Rodgers is our best receiver and plays the slot. We can use him for deep balls too but he’s a bit shorter than a typical deep threat. He has good speed and runs like a running back. Cornell Powell is a 5th year guy who played the best game of his career last week. He displayed great hands and is an above average athlete. Brannon Spector is our new Hunter Renfrow. He has good hands but is not the threat Renfrow was at the point in his career. EJ Williams is the freshman receiver getting the most playing time (similar to Tee Higgins in playing style). I think he has star potential but needs another year in the weight room.

TE: Braden Galloway - good receiver skills but not an elite blocker. More of a TE-Y. Davis Allen is our best blocking TE. We have not used the TEs to their potential the last few games but it might be the wrinkle we pull out against ND.

OL - We are an elite pass blocking team but the run blocking leaves much to be desired. Carman is a potential 1st round pick at left tackle. He gets flagged for penalties too much. Matt Bockhorst and Will Putnam have been solid guards for first year starters. Jordan McFadden (RT) has a small frame but plays with quick feet. Our weakest link on the OL is our center Cade Stewart. He has snapped the ball too high a few times this year.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic