Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

"Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth.

Jul 1, 2020, 8:42 AM

1. Casey Kasem: American Top 40. Or, Casey's Coast to Coast, as he would also sometimes refer to it. As a child entering my teen years just after the British Invasion (BEATLES, Not General Cornwallis), music was a huge part of my life. I always tuned in on Sundays to catch what records were making their way up the charts.

2. Leonard Post Toasties: Leonard's Losers. You couldn't consider yourself a college football fan in the South if you didn't listen to Leonard Post Toasties tell you who was gonna lose each game each week. Just getting on his broadcast meant that your team mattered. Get me out of here, Percy.

3. Bob Fulton: Voice of the Gamecocks. I had an older brother and sister that both attended Coot U, and until I picked Chemical Engineering as a major, it was thought that I too would attend that burnarable institution. Listening to Bob Fulton broadcast Carolina football, and especially basketball, was a treat. He truly was the Dean of Broadcasters in this state.

4. Jim Phillips: Voice of the Tigers. Once my college decision was made, and upon attending my first Clemson football game, any residual vestiges of Cootism growing up were blown away. The scales fell from my eyes, and I could see clearly for the first time. Listening to Jim Phillips on the radio when not in attendance at Death Valley, Littlejohn, or Doug Kingsmore itself was comforting, and seemed to make all be right with the world. He brought the listener into the game without injecting himself into the game, as some Todd Ellis announcers unfortunately do today.

Who can some of you'se add to this list?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth.

Jul 1, 2020, 9:02 AM

76er® You nailed it! Your post made me and my wife smile!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 9:24 AM

I agree with you on #1, 2, & 4. I've been orange-blooded since I was knee-high to a grasshopper and never listened to the coot's games. Phillips really had a way to make you feel like you were in the stadium wataching the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 9:28 AM

I agree with all on your list and would like to add one. Walter Cronkite on the CBS nightly news. He was an experienced journalist that had reported during WWII and gave a non-biased report on the news of the day without all of the opinion junk we get now. Huntley-Brinkley were also good, but Walter was my favorite.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely! Walter Cronite was the only newsman my dad

Jul 1, 2020, 5:20 PM

(and a whole lot of other Americans) "trusted" to be telling it straight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 9:39 AM

Paul Harvey radio show, and "The rest of the story"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 1:05 PM

"good-day"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Paul Harvey was a great listen!***

Jul 3, 2020, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Verner Tate hosting

Jul 1, 2020, 9:42 AM

The Frank Howard Show on Sunday mornings.

Re: Verner Tate hosting

Jul 1, 2020, 10:02 AM

"Well Verner here Yauger stumbles forward for about 4 yards."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Before my time, but if The Baron of Barlow Bend was on it,

Jul 1, 2020, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Verner Tate hosting ]

that show had to be entertaining.

Growing up in Atlanta listening to Al Ciraldo and Munson***

Jul 1, 2020, 9:45 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Growing up in Atlanta listening to Al Ciraldo and Munson

Jul 1, 2020, 10:03 AM

Munson was clearly no relation to Dan

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Growing up in Atlanta listening to Al Ciraldo and Munson***

Jul 1, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Growing up in Atlanta listening to Al Ciraldo and Munson*** ]

Larry Munson was the classic “homer”!
Go Tigers

Jul 1, 2020, 9:51 AM

Having fewer choices in those days meant we all had more in common. I grew up on two TV stations...three if the weather was just right. I remember going "to town" one Saturday night to rent a hotel room to watch Clemson play Florida State on something called "ESPN". That was the night Danny Ford had the team face the opposite direction when the Seminole threw his spear into the ground. That game was well worth the price of a room.

Jul 1, 2020, 10:01 AM

1340 AM WOKE Radio Charleston

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 10:06 AM

ABC Wide World of Sports.

Who can forget the skier wiping out during the opening. I think the voice over was something like "and the agony of defeat"

Jul 1, 2020, 10:18 AM

ACC basketball games on CD Chesley network - "Sail with the Pilot" Thacker/Packer and Bones were the announcers.

Record Stores - I would spend hours going through the albums - looking at all the cool covers.

WBTV local newscasts with Clyde McClean doing the weather forecasts.

Woody Durham calling UNC games on the radio.

Sitcoms on regular TV that the whole country watched together and discussed.

Jul 1, 2020, 10:51 AM

My little sister used to run around the house singing "Sail with the Pirate..."

Jul 1, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

I framed all of my old Jimmy Buffett album covers (about 25) and have them on the wall on my poolroom.
Been a Parrott Head since 1976.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 1, 2020, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

Used to love watching those ACC games on Saturday afternoon. I can still hear Thatcher's voice. Holly Farms Chicken was another mainstay sponsor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2020, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

Yep - one Wednesday night game and a doubleheader on Saturdays. That was back when the ACC tournament meant something.

Jul 1, 2020, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

It was, "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a 1250 WTMA guy myself. Ted Bell and Booby Nash.

Jul 1, 2020, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

:)

Jul 2, 2020, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

Oh, yeah, and the old guy's Daily /commentary! What was his name? Harry C Weaver!!

Jul 1, 2020, 10:27 AM

Leonard's Losers was great! But my go to radio was WOWO Fort Wayne Indiana. They played all the hit parade, top 100 tunes by my favorite teen heart throbs! Amazing we could pick it up in Greenville when we can't even pick up Clemson The Roar half the time today in Greenville.

Jul 1, 2020, 11:16 AM

That keyed a memory. I use to love to pick up baseball games at night on the radio. Braves were near, no problem but I could pick up the Reds most of the time. Depending on atmospheric conditions, the Pirates or the Orioles every now and then. I’ll take a good radio announcer describing all aspects of a game instead of TV production any day!

Jul 1, 2020, 1:58 PM

I listen to old baseball game broadcasts while mowing, not a huge Dodgers fan but Vin Scully is a favorite.

"Get me outta here, Percy"***

Jul 1, 2020, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember at night when some of the local stations went off

Jul 1, 2020, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

the air (Yes, radio was not a 24 hour a day thing back then for a lot of stations) I could pick up WLS out of Chicago.

I had a '72 Superbeetle my first year at Clemson with a.m.

Jul 3, 2020, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

radio only. Driving back and forth to Clemson at night I would listen to some neat stuff from places like St. Louis, Cleveland, and New York. Swapped that car with Dad for a much newer Datsun station wagon. Was logically a good swap, but killed my heart!

Jul 1, 2020, 11:52 AM

I went to a golf tournament that Bob Fulton hosted. After the tournament was over, a group of guys sat around with Bob, had a few drinks, and told a bunch of stories.
Nice guy. RIP

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 1, 2020, 12:26 PM

Summer days on isle of palms listening to WTMA and “big bootie Nash!
Go Tigers

Jul 1, 2020, 12:56 PM

The radio station in Jacksonville Fla,was always popular with the young beach music set. WAYS maybe!

Jul 2, 2020, 5:37 PM

WAPE

Jul 1, 2020, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

About WTMA/Nash.......I too listened to him in the way back. Unfortunately his story did not end well.

Jul 1, 2020, 1:03 PM

I’m thinking that he ended up in Myrtle Beach for a short stay also.

Jul 1, 2020, 12:54 PM

#### Biondi of WLS in Chicago was the best DJ ever! Listened every night. WLS was a powerful station in those days.

More recently, Murphy in the morning was always a hoot.

Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blatner. If you didn’t enjoy that pair you had a problem. They made baseball even more fun for a youngster like me.

Don Meredith. I bet you all remember that clown. We’re No. 1 was a classic. Remember that?

You’ll have to be an old Tiger fan as I am to remember Bill Goodrich. “Goodnight redhead”. Remember that?

Don’t get me started. I can do this for hours. Getting old has it moments. Especially if you can keep your mind!

I remember Goodrich’s “woohoomercy,” but

Jul 1, 2020, 1:11 PM

don’t remember “goodnight redhead.”

Re: I remember Goodrich’s “woohoomercy,” but

Jul 1, 2020, 1:17 PM

He always closed his show with that phrase. Even is tv show where he was the sports reporter for one of the Greenville stations. Or, maybe Spartanburg. I always assumed he was referring to his wife. T remember the WhooMercy expression also. The Tigers have had some super announcers ... in the past!

Jul 2, 2020, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: "Institutions" that I really, really miss from my youth. ]

Woo hoo mercy...Goodrich

Jul 1, 2020, 1:12 PM

Sitting on my uncles knee, (the man closest to being a father to me), watching the Yankees Baseball Game of the week with Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean. Yes I am old.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 1:14 PM

Dean had some great lines calling a game. “The batter has two balls on him.”

Jul 1, 2020, 1:21 PM

There wasn’t an English teacher in America who liked him. He could destroy the language in many ways. I bet you remember him frequently say “ he slud “ into third base”.

A few to add

Jul 1, 2020, 1:20 PM

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
Wonderful World of Disney
Mr. Knozit
Happy Raine

Re: A few to add

Jul 1, 2020, 1:23 PM

You left of Rootie Kazotti” youngster. I bet there isn’t another tnetter who remembers him.

Jul 2, 2020, 5:39 PM

How about Winky Dink?

Jul 1, 2020, 5:28 PM [ in reply to A few to add ]

Yes to All! Had a huge crush on Happy Raine as a young kid.

Jul 1, 2020, 1:32 PM

Ron Cherry and Jack Childress ...

Just kidding.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 1, 2020, 3:26 PM

We can count them since they both belonged in an “institution”!

Jul 1, 2020, 5:12 PM

Before FM became big, Clear Channels on AM were the thing. WTMA in Charleston would down power at sundown and those of us living in or near Walterboro would have to find another station. The main ones back then was WBT in Charlotte or Knoxville(do not remember the call sign). At midnight BT went country so I started to listen to CFL (Chicago), WEEE(Cleveland) or some others. If the situation was romantic, might listen to WLW (Cinncy) at midnight with the show "Moonriver", mostly organ music. I think there was a Detroit station but I do not remember the call sign. This was before 8 tracks were readably available.

Jul 3, 2020, 12:48 PM

That would be WNOX. WTMA back then was known a Tiger Radio.

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great memories, guys and gals. I would like to add another

Jul 1, 2020, 5:34 PM

one. When the Braves moved down south, they had some great announcers early on.

Milo Hamilton
Ernie Johnson, Sr.
Skip Carey
"Professor" Pete Van Wieren

There were others, but the ones above stuck out to me.

Good stuff. Except...Jim Philips would broadcast from Beautiful Tiger Field.

Jul 1, 2020, 5:39 PM

Not “Doug Kingsmore”

You are keerect, the name didn't change till 2003. When I

Jul 2, 2020, 8:58 AM

was there, we pretty much just called it "the new baseball stadium", as it had opened only two years before.

An 8 team ACC bball tournament involving Ga. Tech, Clemson,

Jul 2, 2020, 2:36 AM

UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake F., Virginia, and Maryland.
And ACC baseball tournaments in Greenville, SC.
And Danny Ford in a navy blue windbreaker with an orange numeral, kneeling on the sideline.
The city mosquito trucks driving the town spraying some sort of napalm type substance.

7-team ACC for me!***

Jul 3, 2020, 7:58 AM

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

Jul 2, 2020, 1:26 PM

"While I sit in the safety of the jeep, Jim goes out to try to get face to face with the fearless man-eating beast"

George Michael's Sports Machine

Jul 2, 2020, 1:28 PM

Not really "from my youth" but from my younger years, anyway. We didn't have cable in our dorm at Clemson or in my home while growing up, so the best source for me for sports news was the George Michael's Sports Machine. For you younger folks, it was not the former Wham singer. It was Sportscenter but with one host and on free TV.

Loved that one

Jul 2, 2020, 1:38 PM

and "Sager Says"

Jul 2, 2020, 2:34 PM

Hard to top that list. ?? Let me add WQOK AM radio with Russ Cassell doing the morning show. Top 40 music.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Central Eastlake and Los Padrinos

Jul 2, 2020, 7:42 PM

were not fun institutions

Jul 2, 2020, 8:50 PM

ABC, NBC, and CBS Sports pre-ESPN...sports without commentary unless it involved what was happening on the field.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 2, 2020, 10:06 PM

Sorry to be so late in the game, but the Big Ape radio 790 in Jacksonville and Wolf Man Jack!

Mr. Doohickey.***

Jul 3, 2020, 1:01 AM

Excellent stuff!***

Jul 3, 2020, 7:43 AM

Jul 3, 2020, 10:10 PM

Prudential College Scoreboard where you hoped they would mention a Clemson score along with the Slippery Rock score

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic