Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm feeling a twinge of patriotism this morning.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 516

I'm feeling a twinge of patriotism this morning.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:03 AM

I'm not typically a rah-rah, USA! USA! guy, but I was listening to the radio this morning about how today the Electoral College would meet to elect our next President. I'm certainly not patriotic about who that is...I'm pretty concerned about the many things I think he'll do or try to do, that are fundamentally averse to what I believe in.

No, I found myself proud of the system of government we have here, that Grand Experiment started almost 250 years ago, a government built to withstand the whims of powerful individuals. We have witnessed the most extraordinary fight of our lifetimes, and perhaps ever, over the transition of power as prescribed in our Constitution. I never had a worry about the courts in this way, but if ever there was a court system that would favor the one in power, we have it, and his efforts still weren't even close. I am proud that, despite a highly vocal and passionate minority, the President will be unable to break down the Constitutional wall that preserves the integrity of our democratic processes. It makes me believe that, even though the country seems to be going crazy, we are still far away from anything other than a Constitutional and democratic Republic. We may have the most liberal administration of all time coming up, and that to me is very concerning, but today I'm thinking that we'll be OK anyway. Our founders made sure of that.

To be sure, this was never a battle over the Office of the President. That battle was fought and decided on November 3rd. No, this is a battle over minds. Those in power, on both "sides" of the aisle, try always to appeal to our baser motives: fear, hate, anger, paranoia. They believe that this is the path to preserving their power. And maybe they have been successful in that. I want to be driven by those higher motives, that make us better humans: love, trust, faith, and grace. I want to reject the voices that draw me in the other direction.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm feeling a twinge of patriotism this morning.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:09 AM

Yea, I’m sure the founders would be awfully proud of the govt we have today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet if you told them that centuries later,

Dec 14, 2020, 7:34 AM

we'd still have a President, a bicameral legislature, and a Supreme Court, and an overall lack of significant unrest, they'd have been tickled pink.

Dec 14, 2020, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm feeling a twinge of patriotism this morning. ]

They would have hated Trump. That's for sure.

Fact check ... none of the Founders were

Dec 14, 2020, 9:43 AM

Available for interview ... this is false

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm feeling a twinge of patriotism this morning. ]

You know the Founders were not angels. The Democratic Republicans & the Federalists went after each other pretty good. We think of them as very high-minded people, but the history of politics says differently.

Dec 14, 2020, 8:52 AM

Prod,

I agree so wholeheartedly that I hesitate to bring up this one small point - I don't see why some of y'all think that this administration is going to be soooo extremely liberal. Joe has always been viewed as a moderate. And the fact that he became the party's nominee indicates that there are a lot of moderates in the Dem party. I think his cabinet picks have been pretty moderate and competent so far.

I know that there are some very progressive voices in the party. And they get a lot of attention from the media because extremism sells. But they really have NOT taken over the party. Let them expound upon their progressive agenda and we can all have a rational discussion about them. American democracy is all about healthy debate.

But after the debate, there is every indication that Joe Biden and the Dems will steer a reasonable course. They may be more liberal than you would like - but the most liberal administration ever ? That seems a bit hyperbolic. Why don't we give them a chance to provide us some evidence about where they stand.

Qwestion ... do you want Biden on the

Dec 14, 2020, 9:40 AM

1 dollar bill since he saved democracy from his basement?

Washington couldn’t have done that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

President-elect Biden had nothing to do with it.

Dec 14, 2020, 10:15 AM

He's just been a spectator like the rest of us. The heroes are the judges and law enforcement officers who have upheld the rule of law, in the face of great political pressure.

Yay. The Libbies feel safe

Dec 14, 2020, 9:44 AM

Orange man bad

Dec 14, 2020, 11:14 AM

you should twinge at this massive fraud

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am thrilled and proud that law enforcement,

Dec 14, 2020, 11:35 AM

whose job it is to do so, and whom I trust and support, has not uncovered any significant fraud.

If that had so found it, I would trust and support them to address it and serve justice.

Replies: 11
| visibility 516
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic