Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 103
| visibility 1

Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley

Aug 15, 2012, 6:55 PM

Mine has to be the GT game where we blew it in the last minute. I remember me and my buddy getting up to leave and all of a sudden we couldn't pick up a first down, well we all knew what happened after that. That ruined my whole week and I just went to bed instead of partying. I remember celebrating going down the stands and then had to turn around and sit down to see the worst collapse of my life. Then we almost broke the last KO for a TD, but got tripped up. That is the only game that still sticks with me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley

Aug 15, 2012, 6:56 PM

Between the NC State game in 2002, the SC game in 2010, and the BC game in '07 (heartbreaking)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now i have never been more mad than when we lost to SC in 06

Aug 15, 2012, 7:00 PM

Just another missed FG at the end doomed us.

I was there. Terrible.***

Aug 15, 2012, 11:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

2007 BC stings

Aug 15, 2012, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley ]

Aaron Kelly had the ACC Championship in his hand.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: 2007 BC stings

Aug 15, 2012, 11:52 PM

So true! At night in the Valley! Given what we had in our hands (championship) that really, really hurt. BC pulled a great play on us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1993 Wake Forest

Aug 16, 2012, 1:45 PM [ in reply to 2007 BC stings ]

not only was it raining and just a bad performance, two older "know it alls" kept giving the OL a hard time. A hard time to the point that it was getting personal.

Blowout: VT in 98 - 37 -0. close one: FSU in 1999 - 17-14

Aug 15, 2012, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley ]

Still have nightmares about Al Clark from VT. As for the other one, it was the first Bowden Bowl I believe and the stadium was electric. We had the lead until late if memory serves.

I was going to say vt, although I think it was '97

Aug 15, 2012, 11:55 PM

It was bad. Weird that I sat on the hill and there was plenty of room around us to have held a touch football game in the stands. Definitely the low point of clemson football during my lifetime, and I wad a freshman there. Interestingly enough I the watched our meteoric rise to #3 in the polls a mere couple of years later only to have a great view of weinke's play action pass out of the endzone that pretty much demolished the season (until the catch II, which also happened right in front of me).

Worst part of that VT game

Aug 16, 2012, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Blowout: VT in 98 - 37 -0. close one: FSU in 1999 - 17-14 ]

One of the Touchdowns was scored by Clemson transfer Lamont Pegues

Aug 15, 2012, 6:58 PM

SC 2010 or TCU 2009 are the only games we lost when I've been at the valley. So I would have to go with SC 2010 just because of the rivalry, but if memory serves me correctly TCU did beat us by 4 and one of their TD's did come off of a tipped pass on 3rd and long.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

And the other TD was a ridiculous catch

Aug 15, 2012, 7:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mo5Wkxabk

NCSU in 1987. May have cost us a 2nd National Championship***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny could have won 3 National Championships

Aug 15, 2012, 8:23 PM

If he'd have thrown the ball inside the twenties

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I was there. Hard to believe.***

Aug 15, 2012, 11:52 PM [ in reply to NCSU in 1987. May have cost us a 2nd National Championship*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

UNC in 2001. Homecoming. And I had to go back home to NC

Aug 15, 2012, 6:59 PM

after the game.

F you Bowden.

Re: UNC in 2001. Homecoming. And I had to go back home to NC

Aug 15, 2012, 7:00 PM

my first game with my son in law who is from out of state. Boy was I upset at how bad we played

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. 38-3. I was speechless. And I talked so much #### to

Aug 15, 2012, 7:02 PM

Tar Hole fans up here the week of the game.

Yeah I was there for that one too***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:02 PM [ in reply to UNC in 2001. Homecoming. And I had to go back home to NC ]

I was there. First game for my wife. Wasn't that the game

Aug 15, 2012, 7:53 PM [ in reply to UNC in 2001. Homecoming. And I had to go back home to NC ]

Julius Peppers went off and took care of us by himself. I seem to remember a pass he tipped up about 30 feet in the air and intercepted it.

I was there. Sick.***

Aug 15, 2012, 11:51 PM [ in reply to UNC in 2001. Homecoming. And I had to go back home to NC ]

Yeah, that one was terrible***

Aug 16, 2012, 11:27 AM [ in reply to UNC in 2001. Homecoming. And I had to go back home to NC ]

Aug 15, 2012, 7:01 PM

The TCU game a few years back.That one sucked who was it that dropped the winning TD late in the 4th.The 2 inches of rain that fell in the second half didn't help either.

Yeah it rained at every home game that season didn't it?***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:03 PM

Not every game...The FSU game was a perfect day as

Aug 16, 2012, 8:42 AM

I recall. But I did get my money's worth from all of my rain gear that year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Its amazing how much better our WRs are now

Aug 15, 2012, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley ]

Other than Jacoby Ford and Michael Palmer, we had nobody.

Terrence Ashe
Xavier Dye

hands down BC in 2007

Aug 15, 2012, 7:08 PM

i have never been more heartbroken, mad and disappointed

whenever UNC killed us at homecoming.***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:09 PM

The loss to Miami when Whitehurst overthrew .......

Aug 15, 2012, 7:11 PM

the receiver in the endzone.

I was there. That was our game.***

Aug 15, 2012, 11:55 PM

Re: And the other TD was a ridiculous catch

Aug 15, 2012, 7:12 PM

The game started pretty good but after that catch that lucky BS td the tide changed for sure

Georgia...On the hottest day in recorded history.***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:13 PM

Re: Georgia...On the hottest day in recorded history.***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:15 PM

GT game when we were 8-0 and tech drove down on our prevent d and won late in the 4th.

Re: Georgia...On the hottest day in recorded history.***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Georgia...On the hottest day in recorded history.*** ]

Forgot about that one..gotta add it. That might actually be #1..we were so pumped for that game.

I was there - by myself. 1st football game on the sun.***

Aug 15, 2012, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Georgia...On the hottest day in recorded history.*** ]

oh yeah! 0 - 30 and it felt like HELL on earth!

Aug 16, 2012, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Georgia...On the hottest day in recorded history.*** ]

horrible game!

For me personally BC '07

Aug 15, 2012, 7:14 PM

My wife had to drive home because I was so heartbroken and in such shock. Another classic "Thanks Tommy!!!" Moments.

Worst loss was by Carolina to Clemson in 1976

Aug 15, 2012, 7:16 PM

Carolina was highly ranked and came in against a 2-6-2 Clemson team. Clemson beat the coots like a dusty throw rug: 28-9. How do you like that memory?

Aug 15, 2012, 7:19 PM

98 my freshemen yr believe vt beat us by 30 something that day

BC in 2007.. I was 12

Aug 15, 2012, 7:28 PM

years old. I can't remember many highlights but I can remember Matt Ryan scrambling for what seemed like minutes on 3rd down to throw a wide open bomb to some guy late in the game. And I remember Kelly being wide open only to drop the wide open winner. My Dad lifted me up to start to celebrate only to drop me down in disbelief as the entire crowd went from screaming to silent... I went and sat on the brick wall outside the southeast gate and cried for half an hour and watched every fan walk by me in shock and sadness.

Other games have been bad enough to be really disappointing, but never have I witnessed such a heart-breaking home loss.

TCU '09

Aug 15, 2012, 7:30 PM

My only experience of a loss in DV. Standing on the hill in the rain, I never got a good look of the last play, but I've always heard a lot of complaining about it.

I was on the hill for that game too

Aug 16, 2012, 11:37 AM

I remember alot of people slipping and falling down when they were trying to get to the top. I think Parker overthrew either jacoby for xavier in the end zone on the last play. I remember cursing like crazy after that happened.

Aug 15, 2012, 7:34 PM

2003 UGA:

1. The temperature was ungodly hot!
2. I had a 101 degree temperature and I was in the marching band with the hot wool uniform
3. We got blown out 30-0

Overall just a terrible game for everybody involved. My nephew who attended the game was really young at the time. The quote I will remember from him was "they just keep getting zero"

I can't wait for the 2013 game to hopefully avenge that loss! As Always...GO TIGERS!!!

I agree. It was hot, miserable, we did nothing right and we

Aug 15, 2012, 8:00 PM

got blown out. Plus it was to Uga. It was a crappy way to start a season!

1967 - Alabama 13-10***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:38 PM

NCSU in '87...May have cost us a 2nd National Title***

Aug 15, 2012, 7:52 PM

Yeah, but it was a heck of a 2nd half.***

Aug 16, 2012, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worst I've ever felt? GT late game breakdown.

Aug 15, 2012, 7:53 PM

Worst loss, probably UNC homecoming implosion.

The biggest "how did we lose that?" Probably TCU. One of those games that it always felt like we had to score and win. I knew they were a decent to good team, but the whole day felt like one of those "we'll win ugly" sort of games. Just never happened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a tie between GT late game meltdown and the UNC

Aug 15, 2012, 9:20 PM

Homecoming game. Well, then again, the Thursday night beat down by NC State is way up on my list also...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

FSU - Puntrooskie

Aug 15, 2012, 7:54 PM

Don't remember the year, but it was when Dion Sanders was at FSU. We had them backed up ... 4th down on their own 1 yard line, and Bowden called the puntrooskie with Prime Time who went 98 yards to our 1 yard line. They scored the winning TD on the next play. I had to have sharp objects taken away from me for weeks.

Your memory is fuzzy

Aug 15, 2012, 7:58 PM

They were on their own 20, not 1 yard line. And Sanders had nothing to do with the play.

The Butler did it***

Aug 15, 2012, 8:01 PM [ in reply to FSU - Puntrooskie ]

LeRoy!!!***

Aug 15, 2012, 8:05 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Way to completely inaccurately describe the most famous play

Aug 15, 2012, 8:03 PM [ in reply to FSU - Puntrooskie ]

in Clemson/FSU history. Everyone knows (unfortunately) exactly what happened that play so no explanation is necessary. If you are going to give it a try though, make sure it's what actually happened!

1988 - I was there. Chin on the ground. Fortunately - I was

Aug 15, 2012, 11:58 PM [ in reply to FSU - Puntrooskie ]

in Tallawhacky in '89 - SWEET revenge !!!

Re: Still wish we held onto the interception

Aug 16, 2012, 8:33 AM [ in reply to FSU - Puntrooskie ]

the play before.

The puntrooskie game and the Thu night whipping by NCSU***

Aug 15, 2012, 8:07 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

vt 07, a special teams and offensive nightmare to start the

Aug 15, 2012, 8:22 PM

game.

vt98 honorable mention. A first half drubbing.

Aug 15, 2012, 8:27 PM

This one:

1968 Oct 12 Auburn47 Clemson 0

It was humiliating. We really dressed up for those games back then. Men wore suits. My mother was with us and had an orange suede coat,an orange hat on and high heels.

1) BC 07 2) TCU in 09

Aug 15, 2012, 8:29 PM

It was colder than a witches titty with a brass bra when we played BC. The wind was killer in the upper deck too. When Kelly dropped the pass my gut just sank and didn't come up for a few days.

2) Anyone who stayed for the whole TCU game is a diehard Tiger fan. That rain was insane

Yes, that TCU game was crap.***

Aug 16, 2012, 11:16 AM

Own less, do more.

Re: 1) BC 07 2) TCU in 09

Aug 16, 2012, 11:44 AM [ in reply to 1) BC 07 2) TCU in 09 ]

I was at the TCU game and then drove home in a driving rain for 2 1/2hrs.! Took me two days to thaw and dry out!!

Clemson/Carolina in 1968 in the Valley: a close friend

Aug 15, 2012, 8:29 PM

from home who happened to be at USC brought a date and met me prior to the game, and I ran my mouth non-stop about how we were going to stomp them. We lost 7-3. After the game my friends (unbelievably) never said a word, which only made me madder. I still get irate about it after all these years. The other was the Clemson/FSU "Puntrooskie," which left me stunned and sickened, as I thought we had the game won. I let loose with a string of profanities that I probably couldn't repeat today if my life depended on it. LOL

Message was edited by: hartins®

Good lord. Wake Forest in 1993

Aug 15, 2012, 8:36 PM

That was a miserable, cold rainy day. Ken Hatfield had just run the Clemson football machine into the ground, and capped that off with the most pitiful excuse for a football game I have ever seen, losing to a bad Wake team 13-10 at home. Oh, the second consecutive loss to Wake Forest. It was a performance Tommy Bowden would have been ashamed of.

Good choice....I may have to change mine to this.***

Aug 15, 2012, 8:41 PM

As a Tiger fan, it was literally torture for 3 hours.***

Aug 15, 2012, 9:02 PM

Are you talking about heartbreaking loss or asskicking

Aug 15, 2012, 8:38 PM

Heartbreakers would be FSU puntrooskie, Ga Tech in 2001ish ... ### kickings would be Va Tech in '98 and NC State on Thursday night in the early 2000's

I agree with you and that goes back over 50 years.***

Aug 15, 2012, 8:41 PM

Aug 15, 2012, 9:02 PM

Last game I saw with my dad....2007 BC game. His last game in the valley after 33 years. Died following July.

'07 BC and '10 SCar.

Aug 15, 2012, 9:08 PM

07 was the worst. I got married in October and took my wife to her first Clemson game with the last of the cash we got as a wedding gift. Our seats were on the south side on the goal line opposite the hill. I think I might have been the last person in the stadium to realize that Kelly dropped that pass. I was devastated. It was my wife's first experience with post catastrophic loss me. If she had experienced my mood 6 weeks earlier I may have still been single today.

Oh, and there was some ####### BC fan on the front row with a ridiculous hat on that still pisses me off to this day, I can't even describe the hat, but it was huge and ugly and I hated him for it.

B.C. Matt Ryans final year.***

Aug 15, 2012, 9:09 PM

1) UGA '76 2)UGA '03 3) Wake '93***

Aug 15, 2012, 9:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you....

Aug 15, 2012, 9:20 PM

One freakin yard short...i'm uneasy...we roll the ball on the ground...I we're screwed..a mere moments later, Calvin Johnson happened. Definitely the worst. I just looked up the box score and we went up 10 after a Kyle Browning long TD run with 3:18 left in the game. #### I hate GT.

GT 2000***

Aug 15, 2012, 9:24 PM

Re: 56-0 against Bama at home in '75***

Aug 15, 2012, 9:25 PM

Re: 56-0 against Bama at home in '75***. Agree

Aug 15, 2012, 9:33 PM

My freshman year , that game was just an awful experience all the way around .

Re: I was a sophomore and was praaying for the game

Aug 15, 2012, 9:49 PM

to end!!

the game

Aug 15, 2012, 9:54 PM

was long over.........the gun just hadn't sounded

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That was one tough day

Aug 15, 2012, 10:22 PM

I was in disbelief we could be beat that bad.

It killed our season. Steve Fuller, Jimmy Wiliamson...

Aug 16, 2012, 1:58 PM

... and Jeff Wells (among others) went down w/serious injuries.

Small correction ....the game was @ Alabama******

Aug 16, 2012, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: 56-0 against Bama at home in '75*** ]

NC St. Thursday night, Death Valley, National T.V.

Aug 15, 2012, 9:34 PM

Flaming Dog Turd

Agreed.***

Aug 16, 2012, 1:25 PM

Aug 15, 2012, 10:16 PM

Maryland 1985.

1) Md o-lineman false started
2) play clock expired for a good 5-6 seconds
3) pass went thru Md receiver's hands and refs still signaled a TD.

That game still makes me mad.

Can think of someone else who was upset after that game too!***

Aug 15, 2012, 10:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there. Was the TE I think. DF walked out on the field

Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Worst loss you've ever seen in Death Valley ]

and chewed some zebra butt !!!!

SC 2010 Because i drove 5 hours

Aug 15, 2012, 10:17 PM

With student tickets. My gf went to school at clemson and wasn't in town for that week. She gave me 2 student tickets and said "oh don't worry they wont ask for ID." So me and a friend drove up there, almost getting into 2 fights with coots at a taco bell along the way. Got to the game, walk to the student section, get to the gate and the guy says "can I see your ID?" so we left and went to the gate to try and buy tickets but they were sold out. Ended up standing at the top of the hill trying to see the game. Couldn't se e so we Left and went to bar, but it was nothing but coots in there. Stayed for the first half and it was absolutely miserable. Coot fans every wear and were going crazy just when the got a firat down. Left after halftime and listened to it on the radio on the way back to MB. It was horrible. Worst game ever.

Aug 15, 2012, 11:43 PM

Losing to Wake Forest in the rain Tommy West last season whatever year that was. I was sitting in the rain watching their D line blow past our offense like we were a JV team. Not pretty.

That game when Reggie Merriweather was driving and TB took

Aug 15, 2012, 11:45 PM

him out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, and

Aug 15, 2012, 11:56 PM

I have never understood why that happened. TB never explained it and Reggie had too much class to raise heck about it. Totally stupid move when we had momentum going.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew that kick wasn't going through.

Aug 16, 2012, 12:10 AM

I can handle losing on botched snaps, interceptions, fumbles or whatever, but that bonehead sub decision was intolerable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 PM

I posted earlier it was Tommy West, wrong it was Ken Hatfield's last year 1993 to Wake in the rain, total dominance by their D line. They just lined up and blew past our guys at will. I was one of about 20,000 still in the stands at the end of that performance.

UGA, 2003.

Aug 16, 2012, 12:48 AM

30-0 loss in the blazing heat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

puntrooski

Aug 16, 2012, 1:41 AM

Loss to fsu on the puntrooski either 86 or 87

any loss to scu***

Aug 16, 2012, 1:50 AM

BC game in 07 and the GT game we blew late***

Aug 16, 2012, 2:33 AM

You have my vote for that GT game...IT WAS WON!!!

Aug 16, 2012, 3:06 AM

Everyone was on the way to the exits (Clemson and GT fans).

What year was that? 2005?

1980 lost 34-17 to Duke for homecoming.***

Aug 16, 2012, 6:34 AM

USCjr 06, my senior year, hadn't lost to them as a student

Aug 16, 2012, 8:36 AM

stood in the stands for at least 2 hours after that game. It was my last game before graduation in December. That one stung.

Re: 1998 Va. Tech game.

Aug 16, 2012, 8:42 AM

Score was something like 31-0 at halftime.

Two directions you can go with this one. The close

Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 AM

gut-wrenching losses or the horrible blowouts. Personally, I'm leaning towards the blowouts.

2002 NCSU 38-6 on Thursday night. I remember being so pumped up to be hosting a Thursday night game. I got out of class at 11am, met a bunch of my friends over at the Brooks Center and tailgated all day until kickoff. I even had some buddies from Charleston drive up for the game.

And then we just got absolutely humiliated by Chuckie the Clown and co. I can still close my eyes and see TA Mclendon hurdle the line on 4th and short and run 50 yards untouched.

The 38-3 homecoming loss the year before to Peppers and UNC was awful too, but i was too sick to go and had to watch it on TV from the dorm room. The game obviously didn't make me feel any better.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:30 AM

The last SCU game at DV. Worst thing i've ever had the displeasure of sitting thru.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:55 AM

I'm going to go with blowouts.

Two come to mind. The UGA shutout and State on thursday night.

Because of the miserable heat and the fact that nothing positive came out of the game, i'll go with UGA.

I was at least able to take something from the State game and that was the fact that Justin Miller was the real deal. He was the only Tiger that looked like he hadn't given up when he returned that kick for the TD.

Notre Dame '77. Puntrooskie close second.***

Aug 16, 2012, 1:56 PM

Replies: 103
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic