Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Future Retirees...whatcha gonna do when you actually retire?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 649

Future Retirees...whatcha gonna do when you actually retire?

Oct 8, 2020, 1:49 PM

me, I doubt I ever retire because I genuinely like to work. Yeah, I play golf. I have a farm and some acreage, animals, etc. Attend (well until lately) dozens and dozens of Clemson sports events a year, living just a few miles away. Shoot guns. Live on the lake. Have a fishing pond and a boat. I've travelled everywhere I ever had an urge to go. But I still have the need to contribute to society somewhat.

Just wondering if rolling outta bed at whatevero'clock every morning and drinking coffee in your slippers until noon is gonna ultimately be satisfying. Personally I can't do that. This Covid quarantine crap taught me that I need to get out and work in addition to daily TCOB around the house.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get RE-tired at another job most likely

Oct 8, 2020, 1:52 PM

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Hook up the boat, go to the deer stand

Oct 8, 2020, 1:56 PM

get out of deer stand and into the river, out of the river back to the deer stand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Join the dew crew at my local club and play ~5 days a week.

Oct 8, 2020, 2:01 PM

Travel the world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If I live past my career, I want to move somewhere quiet

Oct 8, 2020, 2:03 PM

where I can smoke pot and listen to music all day, go hiking and biking, and generally avoid people. I think I just want to be a hippie in the mountains.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You want to be Lakebum's neighbor?***

Oct 8, 2020, 2:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Lakebum ain't gonna be in the mountains

Oct 8, 2020, 2:11 PM

By the time I can get my boat planed off and up to cruising speed on a mountain lake, it's time to slow down again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tahoe baby, Tahoe.

Oct 9, 2020, 8:53 AM

The lake. Not the shidddy boat brand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll probably never retire.

Oct 8, 2020, 2:15 PM

With humankind on the very precipice of complete societal collapse, my work as an iron-fisted warlord brutally lording over a post-apocalyptic horrorscape is really just beginning.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Continue to landscape backyard into a Japanese garden

Oct 8, 2020, 2:19 PM

Play golf, mess around with gchilren, travel

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 chicks at the same time, man***

Oct 8, 2020, 2:53 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I retired 2 years ago

Oct 8, 2020, 3:50 PM

Work three part time jobs now and love it - all but one of them I work when I want as long as what needs doing gets done by the end of each month. Other job has a set schedule but I get to set that schedule each quarter

Added to my retirement each month, I’m making more than I ever have and have more freedom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: I retired 2 years ago

Oct 8, 2020, 6:50 PM

So, when can you come cut my grass? LOL

I've been putting off some projects until I have multiple days/weeks in a row to pull it all out and get it finished without having to stop and start. I have two bathrooms I have been planning to rework and tile. I have lots of tools and a little skill. An old mobile home that's been used for storage that needs to disappear. I have a property in the country and the adjacent property that I have been the caretaker for that is always in need of something like bushhoging, driveway scraping, trees cutted, beavers trapped, weeds sprayed, fire aunts kilt, etc., etc. A warehouse that needs some serious cleaning and organization. I want to hunt and fish a little more with my son but have been putting him off on some of those duck hunts because getting up at 0430 takes me two days to recover unless I get on that schedule. Then, there's the main event. I have been outfitting for the last couple of years to take off on and extended trip out West to see some stuff and catch some fish. Maybe meat up with some of those independent western wemmens...if they can fish and don't whine about chitting in the woods and taking a bath in a cold mountain stream. Ain't holding my breath on that one but even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while...handsome devil that I am! Yeah, I think I can stay occupied for a few years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My parents are retired and I don't understand how they can

Oct 8, 2020, 4:45 PM

continue on with such a sedentary lifestyle day in and day out. Theyve never exercised regularly, they chainsmoke heavily, mom drinks heavily. Dad works in the yard almost every day (to get away from my mother). Most days, my mom rolls out of bed at whatever o'clock and doesnt put on anything other than robes and slippers until noon. She talks on the phone about 6 hours a day minimum. Neither of them are social by any means, neither of them have hobbies other than maybe reading.

I, for one, would get bored of that type of lifestyle after a few days. But Im not 70 years old having worked an entire life to provide for my family.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Sounds like they need a baby to babysit for free

Oct 9, 2020, 7:29 AM

every day and save you $15k per year.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish it was only $15k a year***

Oct 9, 2020, 8:29 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

FML. I'm glad I don't have little kids anymore. I paid for

Oct 9, 2020, 8:32 AM

8 years into those places, countless thousands of dollars.

Weird, whattayaknow.

Oct 9, 2020, 8:52 AM [ in reply to My parents are retired and I don't understand how they can ]

If my parents quit smoking and drinking, we could be related.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Future Retirees...whatcha gonna do when you actually retire?

Oct 8, 2020, 7:29 PM

I retired a couple of years ago. I bummed around for about a year and hated it. I have to do something. I took a very part time job that has allowed me to phook with the minds of a bunch of 20 somethings. It keeps me entertained. Sometimes, the look in their eyes after I make a comment is priceless. I'll probably "work" another year and then do some volunteer work...as long as it doesn't interfere with my fishing, travel, drinking, debauchery plans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've sorta been forced into an early retirement... would've

Oct 8, 2020, 8:34 PM

liked to work a few more years, but the whole Age Discrimination thingy has finally got me. I interview for jobs that I could do blindfolded on ludes, but being 64 always kills it. I'll get 3 or 4 interviews into the process, but then they run the background check, figure out how old I am, and that's it. I'm overqualified, or as they sometimes put it - "we're afraid you'll get bored in this position." Whatever.

We all know the real reason. I cost them 4 or 5 times as much in healthcare premiums as someone half my age. It's all a part of the total cost of employment. I get it. It doesn't matter that I'm great at what I do. It doesn't matter that I'd appreciate the job and be much more likely to still be there 5 years from now, vs some young dude who'll jump at the next opportunity that pays $10K more a year. None of that matters.

Anyway. Retirement has turned out to be pretty cool. I've reconnected with my old GF from Clemson, from over 40 years ago. We're enjoying life and having a blast. Life is good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Can you do work as a contractor? Covers a lot of those

Oct 9, 2020, 6:10 AM

hurdles.

Still, glad you are enjoying retirement!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we need more clarification on the

Oct 9, 2020, 7:32 AM [ in reply to I've sorta been forced into an early retirement... would've ]

"We're enjoying life and having a blast. Life is good."

;)

Sorry to hear about the forced retirement, but glad it sounds like you're making the best of it.

I second Father G's question about consulting work, or do you not want to bother with 1099'ing it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Lot's of tax advantages to schedule C

Oct 9, 2020, 8:26 AM

but the FICA/Medicare tax is higher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 649
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic