Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does our defense get tired?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,774

Does our defense get tired?

Sep 11, 2017, 10:25 AM

I was questioning a lot of our offense tempo in the second half, wondering when our defense was going to give out of gas, especially with Auburn's big RB. I thought we should have been running the play #### down further to shorten the second half, but it seems our defense just got stronger instead of more tired. To me, that says a lot about the strength and conditioning our staff has done and the depth of the defense.

Also, Kelly Bryant seemed to show a lot of similarity to Tajh Boyd'd first game as a starter, where he had a very tentative first half and then gained confidence and trusted his instincts and OC playcalling more. I hope this continues and he shows the improvement week in and week out, like Tajh did his first year as a starter. The less he thinks and more he relies on muscle memory and instincts, the more he'll shine. With a defense this stout, it is also his job to protect the ball, and he did an insanely good job at that. The last thing we need to do is resort to Tommy Bowden ball and go into "protect the 3 point lead" mode, like we did at halftime against Wake the year we fired him, but hope we take a little pressure off the defense moving forward.

Hope that Ray Ray personally thanked each player on the defense that made the stand after his fumble, but he also more than made up for it with securing punt returns all night and several big catches to keep their defense honest against the run game and covering Renfroe. I still think Ray Ray is going to have a breakout season at some point this Fall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feared they would have that first Auburn Drive

Sep 11, 2017, 10:26 AM

I think we were able to sub out enough to give them a break but ultimately they have better stamina than their opponents.

I saw guys on the 3 deep in all game long

Sep 11, 2017, 10:29 AM

It's hard to get tired with that happening.

Does anyone have the number of players played on Offense and Defense ?

Re: I saw guys on the 3 deep in all game long

Sep 11, 2017, 10:34 AM

well, if they continued to play 25 snaps a quarter, they would have gotten worn out. Hard to go 75+ plays without it. The offense picking up, and BV making changes though ensured that first drive never would happen again.

I think if they play 99 snaps against Louisville this year (like we did last year) we will lose. However, i don't think we will have 5 turnovers this time. If we can keep the LBs spying on LJ and contain him reasonably (75 yards rushing), we will win.

Re: Does our defense get tired?

Sep 11, 2017, 10:37 AM

Saturday will be a huge test of stamina for the starters and subs.Begrudgingly I give Lamar Jackson props for being elusive.He will be able to skirt away from some of the heat our D puts on him that Stidham wasn't capable of in the Auburn game.It'll be imperative our offense can sustain drives to rest the D.Tigers D got this, but if our offense is firing on all cylinders it'll be even better.
GO TIGERS!!!

It will put more pressure on secondary with Lousville, too

Sep 11, 2017, 11:03 AM

LJ will evade more pressure from our line, putting more pressure on secondary to not let receivers or TE escape downfield. LJ will be looking downfield more than Stidham did, instead of just running for his life.

While the defense got a lot of praise for their 11 sacks Saturday night, saying it was just one short of our record, I would argue that they blew away any comparable record, in that Stidham was not much of a running QB, while Furman probably was a run heavy offense against us the year we sacked them 12 times (many were probably more of a TFL on the QB).

Should be fun to watch.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,774
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic