Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After 17 CONSECUTIVE YEARS with a HOF Football Coach . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 3,007

After 17 CONSECUTIVE YEARS with a HOF Football Coach . . .

Nov 17, 2020, 10:10 PM

(albeit Holtz and Spurrier) our rivals trophy case is still virtually empty as no new Conference Championships were added . . .

I really don’t care who they hire . . . they still won’t measure up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After 17 CONSECUTIVE YEARS with a HOF Football Coach . . .

Nov 18, 2020, 6:47 AM

Didn't Spurrier get a fifth place trophy,or something to that effect!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 8:22 AM

SC is an average team that should be happy with any 7 plus win seasons. Even the great Steve Spurrier only won 11 games 3 straight season. But during this time many teams SC played we’re down trying to rebuild. They are further behind Clemson than any time in the history of college football. I don’t know of any HC that can turn SC around without major changes. If these changes were made there is still no guarantee SC will become more than what they have been for over 100 years. A .400 to .500 team. They may occasionally have a double digit winning season with a possible run for 2 or 3 years. SC is just not located in the right place to build a sustainable successful program.

So pumping millions into buyouts and hires is to me an irresponsible use of funds by the AD. They should have kept WM on through his contract. I don’t think they can afford to hire that HR HC!

IMO now is a bad time for SC to look for that home run hire with possible openings at Michigan, FSU, Tennessee, maybe even Penn State. I believe SC is a junkyard for former HC’s. It seems being the gamecocks HC is a career ending move. WM can probably get hired as a DC but I think SC was his last HC’s position unless he takes a HC’s job at any FBS school or a HS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 8:57 AM

When Spurrier was having his glory years, Tenn., Ga., and Fla. were all having down years down at the same time. SC still only won one division championship and got killed for the league championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 9:49 AM

I always want to put an asterisk next to Spurrier. It was always about Spurrier's or HBC's team. Really, he only coached the coots to spite Tennessee and Jawja. The coots only supplied the dead-eyed bodies.

On the other hand, I love to hear the coots saying that 10 wins is possible for them and Spurrier proved it and thus that should be their expectation of a coach. Yes, a HoF National Champion - perhaps one of the best program builders ever caps out at about 10 wins. He could win a Duke, only finish 2nd as a coot. The coots can never capitalize on a good year! However, those years are sparse. To expect 10 wins, they need to be at least 9-3 during the regular season and win a bowl. Do you know how rare a 9-3 (or 0.750) SEASON happens to be? Rarer than hens teeth

Let me put it this way: In the past 100 years. the coots have had a 0.750 record 6 times. Three of those were Spurrier, One was Holtz, One was Morrison, and the last remainder was in '21 as in 1921.

Clemson has done it 28 times in the past 100 years. Even Hatfield/Bowden did it once. "Only" 9 of those seasons are Dabo. We have done it with 8 difference coaches. Yeah, we have been 0.750 or better more times with a coach, excluding multiple coaches than the coots... combined.

Looking at just the historical significance. A coot should expect a 9-3 every 17 years... but really only once every 50 year if that coach has not won a National title. If they have won a title, then they can expect a 9-3 season every 1 in four years- not bad on their part.... but....

However, we are just under an expected 9-3 season every 4 for ANY coach (every 3.52 years).

Wrong.

Nov 18, 2020, 1:24 PM

Coots got a ring in 2012 for that amazing 11 win season
HAHAHA
https://www.abccolumbia.com/2013/04/13/2012-gamecocks-receive-rings-for-11-win-season/

Replies: 5
| visibility 3,007
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic