Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A number of threads discussing the 78 Gator Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,440

A number of threads discussing the 78 Gator Bowl

Dec 26, 2019, 3:44 PM

reveal that most of the posters don't realize Instant Replay did not exist at the time. I watched the game on TV "live" and saw the punch but there was no way for it to be replayed. The announcers said later they didn't see the punch and did not know what started the "fight" until the next day seeing replays on TV and reading newspaper accounts.

Technology developments have changed very many things in the last 41 years. If you have grown up with Instant Replay you have a hard time understanding that you had to wait for the sports reporting on TV shows to see any highlights (in this case lowlights) of the games you watched. It would have been interesting if they had a replay of that to put onto today's big stadium screens.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The refs saw it

Dec 26, 2019, 3:47 PM

That crazy old fool should have been ejected for punching a player, IMMEDIATELY.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The refs saw it

Dec 26, 2019, 3:53 PM

I remember when you had to wait for the daily newspaper to know anything!!!!!! Boy has that changed. I can’t even find a morning paper anymore.
I remember the Hayes incident well and it was the next day before it became known to most of us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My recollection - which might have been influenced by time:

Dec 26, 2019, 3:58 PM

I went to the game - but had no idea what started the fight.

I got home and someone had one of those new-fangled VCR thingys on display at the hotel where my mother worked. In re-watching the broadcast, one of the announcers said, "I don't see anything in there that would start a fight." (I think they were watching a replay of the play.) Someone rewound the tape on the VCR and stopped at the exact moment that Hayes' fist was inside our guy's helmet...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at the game as well...

Dec 26, 2019, 4:05 PM

and being seated on the opposite sideline from where the play took place, we were not aware of what happened with Woody Hayes until the following day when we read about it in the local Jacksonville newspaper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Me too. I was a sophomore at Clemson. I've told the story a

Dec 26, 2019, 5:28 PM

few times in my many years on Tigernet, but I sat with Woody Hayes, his wife, another Ohio St. coach and his wife at lunch for about 20 minutes the afternoon of the game. I walked up to him as he was leaving his table and offered my hand. We shook hands and he asked me if I was a student at Clemson. I told him yes, and he made everyone sit down and proceeded to ask me to tell him everything I loved about Clemson. Coach Hayes and the rest sat there patiently as I rambled on.

Like most students, none of us could see what happened at the game as we were all in the end zone. I didn't know what had happened until we were on the way back to Greenville the next morning. A news clip on the radio told the story. Later in the afternoon when I got back to Greenville I saw a replay of the punch at the half of the Atlanta/Dallas NFC playoff game.

I had a few conversations with Charlie in the early 80's, as he was dating a girl I knew. I never really asked him about it, but I know he often said he didn't feel the punch from Coach Hayes. I remember our defensive end, Jonathan Brooks ran up to Charlie after the punch and said... "that SOB hit you!"

Hard to believe that was 41 years ago, just as hard to believe I will turn 61 the same night we win the CFP title
(1/13/20).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A number of threads discussing the 78 Gator Bowl

Dec 26, 2019, 3:59 PM

Incorrect. Instant replay DID exist then. As a matter of fact, there were a number of replays shown in this particular broadcast. What didn't exist then was "refereeing by replay" using multiple angles and super slow motion.

Actually...

Dec 26, 2019, 4:03 PM

Instant replay was first used in college football on December 7, 1963 during the CBS telecast of the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia. The 1978 Gator Bowl was no exception. Of course, instant replay was subsequently refined with slo-motion and freeze frame capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcpCh_ZjRo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

We were on row 4 about 15 TD line Clemson side

Dec 26, 2019, 4:06 PM

Couldn’t see the Punch. Found out what happened when we got back to hotel!

Re: We were on row 4 about 15 TD line Clemson side

Dec 26, 2019, 4:15 PM

I was in the end one and saw the punch. We were all excited about the interception, so the punch didn’t matter at the time.

Dec 26, 2019, 4:45 PM

I was seated about two or three sections and about 25 or 30 rows up from the left side of the Ohio State bench. I saw the punch thrown, but wasn’t real sure about what I saw. I found out the next day and was elated that Woody Hayes got canned. I never liked that man.

had to watch the sports ticker on the bottom of the tv

Dec 26, 2019, 4:55 PM

screen. Often a commercial would come on and you would miss the team's score and have to wait for the ticker to go around again. Basketball was much worse than football because there were so many games.

Sunday morning you could get the Greenville news. They had three articles about the game. Then you could check out "How the Top 20 Fared" to figure if you would go up or down.

The the Orange and White would show up a few days later and you could get all the scoop...or Wed or Thurs night don't remember which night it was that the coaches would go down to the ESSO club.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 5:06 PM

Not true! I watched it on TV live with about 10 friends. They played the replay SEVERAL TIMES, each time stopping JUST BEFORE THE PUNCH. It was not an accident that they stopped it at that precise instant. They played it at least 3 times, because I was telling everyone that Woody Hayes punched the kid and everyone thought I was crazy. I was going to show them on the replay and they stopped it just before. They found out the following day that I was correct.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 5:44 PM

Watched it with 4 other rabid Clemson fans. We celebrated the interception but we all screamed immediately at the TV when the crazy old man with the O on his hat grabbed Bauman and throat punched him. If you were watching the game you didn’t need a replay to know what had happened. The only thing we didn’t understand was the announcers inability to say what had happened.

Dec 26, 2019, 5:32 PM

They showed a replay during the game and Jackson said after watching it that he didn't see anything there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope....

Dec 26, 2019, 6:22 PM

They showed the replay several times on live TV and even freeze framed it right as the punch was delivered. We all saw it and were hollering at the TV. Lost all respect for Keith Jackson from that day forward. I’m convinced he a
saw it but was just covering up for Woody Hayes and the big traditional power branded team. It was a different era then- Clemson was the redneck that was trying to move into the rich neighborhood.

Ara Parsegian was just a shill and in the booth because of his Notre Dame resume- he was about as insightful calling a game as my 90 year old mother. Keith Jackson, to my understanding, never acknowledged his “mistake” in the ensuing years.

I loved the symbolic image near the end of the game during a timeout on the sidelines- a Rhodes Scholar (Steve Fuller) and one of the smartest good ol’ boy Alabama football coaches (Danny Ford) collaborating on how to stick the final knife into the biggest SOB at the time in college football (Woody Hayes).

Instant replay existed and was used looooooong before 1978.

Dec 26, 2019, 6:50 PM

It wasn't used by officials to review or verify anything until recently, but it was commonplace in 1978.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 26, 2019, 7:22 PM

The lack of replay and announcers were far more reticent to criticize or question the action. The game flowed along and the announcers went along for the ride.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,440
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic