Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The U.S. and probably the rest of the developed world
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 399

The U.S. and probably the rest of the developed world

Aug 11, 2012, 1:53 PM

is in the economic mess we are in because we, as human beings, want it all. And our preference is to want it all for nothing or close to nothing.

The highest tax rate:

in 1932 was 63%
in 1963 was 91%
in 1964 was 77%
in 1986 was 50%
in 2012 is 35%

I'm not advocating higher taxes for the rich, for the middle class or for the poor to start paying taxes. What I am saying is that we can't have it all. We can't have "Lamborghini" Federal programs without paying for them, in some way. Somebody has to pay.

I have a feeling that the Fall campaign for President will evolve around all this.....Taxes AND Defense, Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. And frankly, it's about time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Medicaid, Disability and Welfare need SERIOUS reform

Aug 11, 2012, 1:59 PM

They are going to bankrupt our country.

I am looking for any candidate that will do somethign about these programs.

Medicare and Social Security need reform too. Don't you

Aug 11, 2012, 2:00 PM

agree?

A good start would be publc hangings for...

Aug 11, 2012, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Medicaid, Disability and Welfare need SERIOUS reform ]

Corrupt politicians.

And public floggings for the people who vote for them***

Aug 11, 2012, 6:01 PM

null

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your stupidity wasn't missed the past 2 weeks.

Aug 11, 2012, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Medicaid, Disability and Welfare need SERIOUS reform ]

Gee, that massive 14% if our budget spent on Medicare and the 3% spent on Welfare must be bankrupting us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: your stupidity wasn't missed the past 2 weeks.

Aug 11, 2012, 8:25 PM

wait, you said Medicaid, my bad.

That whopping 10% we spend on disability, medicaid and welfare combined must be bankrupting us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand your comment. The combined

Aug 12, 2012, 4:54 PM

spend on Medicare, Medicade and Social Security represents about 42% of the federal budget. Where are you getting your numbers?

This mindset that any program is "too small to worry about" is crazy, and certainly does not apply to the entitlement programs. Anything that we can cut should be cut. I don't care if it has a $4,000 annual budget.

null

What we need to do is quit "saving" the rest of the world.***

Aug 11, 2012, 2:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm almost ready to agree but so much is happening

Aug 11, 2012, 6:00 PM

In Africa and the Middle East as far as new govts emerging, and foreign aid to these countries is part of the war on terror.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen Brother !

Aug 11, 2012, 8:06 PM [ in reply to What we need to do is quit "saving" the rest of the world.*** ]

TAKE CARE of your own, FIRST

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The U.S. and probably the rest of the developed world

Aug 11, 2012, 5:33 PM

While you have a point, there is no current tax rate or a series of past tax rates that can cure our debt problem. If we kept that 91 percent tax rate we would still have a debt crisis now. Our GDP would not be close to what it is now so the revenue would not be there anyway.

We have a spending and specifically an entitlement problem. Spending has nor been cut in my lifetime and the people are as much to blame as anyone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most economists will tell you that we can't solve our debt

Aug 11, 2012, 7:18 PM

problem by spending cuts alone. They say we need some combination of spending cuts and tax increases. Certainly the steep tax cuts we have been provided over the past 50 years says we have room for some tax increases to contribute to the elimination of our debts. There is no doubt that the many tax cuts we have had have contributed to our debt. Even if we cut government spending alone, that would negatively impact GDP, just as tax increases would. Either way, it is going to be painful. But, the debt problem will not be solved without a combination of both entitlement cuts and tax increases.

I agree. Taes will have to go up. But I'll be ###### if

Aug 11, 2012, 8:37 PM

I will pay more taxes before someone makes some serious cuts. When Congress shows me they're ready to make serious spending cuts, THEN they can come to me and ask for some serious taxes. And I'm talking something in the range of a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 ratio, because that's what it will take.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cut spending to zero and the debt problem goes away***

Aug 12, 2012, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Most economists will tell you that we can't solve our debt ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 399
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic