Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We sure do know how to draw tough sweet 16 matchups
Tiger Boards - Clemson Basketball
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,051

We sure do know how to draw tough sweet 16 matchups

Mar 25, 2024, 7:41 AM

1990 vs #1 UConn in East Rutherford
1997 vs #1 Minnesota in San Antonio
2018 vs #1 Kansas in Omaha
2024 vs #2 Arizona in Los Angeles

Three of the four times vs 1 seeds and 3/4 vs teams close to their backyard. All three previous games we gave them all they could handle before dropping heartbreakers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We sure do know how to draw tough sweet 16 matchups

Mar 25, 2024, 7:48 AM

Yep. As my grandfather famously said, "we're in the tall cotton now." But anything can happen, and if we play great defense and stay out of foul trouble, we might pull an upset.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 7:59 AM

To be the Man, you have to beat the Man! Chase has blood all over him but he's ready for more. Quote might be the up there with BYOG!

The math tends to favor such things.

Mar 25, 2024, 8:00 AM

Re: The math tends to favor such things.

Mar 25, 2024, 8:05 AM

This! By time the 16 comes around you’re gonna be left with mostly top seeds. Which means unless you are a 1-3 seed you’re probably playing a 1-3 seed.

Re: The math tends to favor such things.

Mar 25, 2024, 12:32 PM [ in reply to The math tends to favor such things. ]

I was going to say same. Every sixteen game has a #1 or #2 this year. Unless a series of early upsets it’s inevitable.

Mar 25, 2024, 8:05 AM

Most of the 1s and 2s win their battles to get to the last 16 teams, so there are only 16 teams left you have to play them somewhere. Might as well knock ‘em off now. Grea win Tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 8:16 AM

Who would you rather we draw? Think about it...

There's #11 seed NC State, or #5 Gonzaga, and #5 San Diego State are the next lower seeded teams. Is #2 Arizona really a worse draw than #5 San Diego State? I'm not so sure.

Point is that there aren't any easy teams to play in the Sweet 16. Arizona is not a bad draw compared to the rest of the field.

Clemson doesn't draw overly tough matchups....it's what happens when you get into the sweet 16. Everyone is playing well to have advanced this far. (Some of our basketball fans sound just like Gamecocks, and it's embarrassing)

#1 UCONN is a bad draw. Everyone else is at least beatable. The glass is half full!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 8:38 AM

You forgot Lamar in 1980...?

As Ric Flair would say "to be the man you gotta beat the man"

Mar 25, 2024, 8:44 AM

The Sweet 16 matchups will be between 2 very good basketball teams.

Here is to coming out and making Arizona earn every bucket and see what happens, our Tigers are definitely capable of beating them. It is all about who is best on that particular day, not necessarily who the "best" team is. Survive and advance!!

Mar 25, 2024, 8:44 AM

From what I've witnessed thus far, the two teams that appear unbeatable are Gonzaga and Arizona. UNCheat is really coming on as well---their guard play has been nothing short of phenomenal.

BUT---we're playing with house money now. Push the chips in and let's go! Nothing to be ashamed of at this point win or lose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Mar 25, 2024, 12:28 PM

And uconn is beatable? And Purdue? That's good to know.

Mar 25, 2024, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: We sure do know how to draw tough sweet 16 matchups ]

Have you watched a game ?

Mar 25, 2024, 3:41 PM

I've watched both Purdue (beatable) and UConn (also beatable).

Screw Calford.

Haven't seen all the games, but Purdue has looked very impressive. If one of

Mar 25, 2024, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Re: We sure do know how to draw tough sweet 16 matchups ]

the #1 seeds wins it all, I hope it is Purdue!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Re: We sure do know how to draw tough sweet 16 matchups ]

You don't watch much college bball then. If you are going to pick an "unbeatable" team in this field, it's UConn.

I still say we won that game in 1990, UConn was given extra time like in Soccer.

Mar 25, 2024, 8:55 AM

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still say we won that game in 1990, UConn was given extra time like in Soccer.

Mar 25, 2024, 12:25 PM

Agree. I’ll never forget the ending of that game. What I connected did wasn’t possible!!

Re: I still say we won that game in 1990, UConn was given extra time like in Soccer.

Mar 25, 2024, 12:25 PM

Oops. I Conn.

Mar 25, 2024, 12:27 PM

U Conn.

Ugh!!! Must be one of those days!!

Mar 29, 2024, 12:04 PM

:)

FORESTTIGER

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, don't think there was a review rule back then, but here is a pic

Mar 25, 2024, 3:33 PM [ in reply to I still say we won that game in 1990, UConn was given extra time like in Soccer. ]

...the ball is still in his hand at 00.0 but the buzzer had not sounded. That lag time for the buzzer deceived the whole planet...

Well, there should have been no lag time!***

Mar 25, 2024, 3:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, don't think there was a review rule back then, but here is a pic

Mar 29, 2024, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Yep, don't think there was a review rule back then, but here is a pic ]

Remember that game well. Broke my heart and all the other fans that were at the Sports Bar watching. It was like all the air was sucked right out of the room and everyone was silent. Tough, Tough, night. We got robbed. Thanks for the pic.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had come from WAY down to take the lead in every game in the tournament,

Mar 29, 2024, 1:32 PM

including that one. It WAS a 70-69 Clemson win, that was taken from us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 4:43 PM

To be fair, the Sweet 16 should typically be heavy weighted with top seeded teams so any team getting there is likely to face the big guns...

Mar 26, 2024, 10:34 AM

Well, we ARE a better team on the road. There is that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,051
Tiger Boards - Clemson Basketball
add New Topic