Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts: the rule that a fumble out of bounds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2726

Thoughts: the rule that a fumble out of bounds

Sep 15, 2023, 10:32 AM

in the end zone is a touchback and the other team takes possession at the 20. The defense does not recover the ball, but still get the benefit as they are now off the field.

Do you like the rule or do you think it needs to be updated/changed ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts: the rule that a fumble out of bounds

Sep 15, 2023, 10:34 AM

Seems like a good rule to me!

meant to respond to the OP

Sep 15, 2023, 10:56 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2023, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts: the rule that a fumble out of bounds ]

It has been the rule for a very long time, and I have heard that they have had discussions about it in recent years but kept it in place.

I guess the CBA covered it so no reason to be disappointed, even though it does seem like the rule is a bit of an old school style rule.

The offense already has pretty much every advantage in football in 2023, maybe this rule should stay the same to at least give at least something to the defense!!

It cost the Vikings last night. Do not like it.***

Sep 15, 2023, 10:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Too punitive. Treat it like any other fumble out of bounds

Sep 15, 2023, 10:41 AM

and return it to the spot of the fumble if fumbled forward and to the spot it went out of bounds if fumbled backwards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its pretty dumb

Sep 15, 2023, 10:42 AM

If a guy fumbles one inch sooner at the 1, it’s no big deal and his team gets the ball there. But if it flies out a bit more it’s a disaster

It should be called down at the point of the fumble and

Sep 15, 2023, 10:57 AM

controlled by the team that fumbled. **If it was 4th down, the opposing team should get the ball plus a 15 yrd advancement (to keep people from intentionally fumbling on 4th if they know they will not make a TD or first down).

Sep 15, 2023, 11:04 AM

It helped Clemson beat Texas A&M a few years ago. Although it was good for Clemson I don't like the rule.

Sep 15, 2023, 11:28 AM

Yes it did, I remember that well. Apparently this is one of the rules that is the same in college and the NFL.

A rule is a rule, so I am good as long as consistent but it is kind of a weird rule that the defense gets all the advantage yet never actually recover the fumble.

Always hated that rule. Inconsistent with every other rule

Sep 15, 2023, 11:14 AM

about change of possession.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2023, 11:40 AM

I'm fine with it. If you're on Offense don't screw up near the goal line like that. Kind of freebie / mulligan territory otherwise if it simply gets spotted back at the point of the fumble. It's consistent with all other fumble outcomes that way also, so why give an offense a new advantage? Offenses can't advance a fumble on 4th down anywhere on the field so there's no motive to prevent such occurrences near the goal line by changing that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2023, 11:50 AM

Guess I am in the minority here it seems after reviewing all the comments. Count me as opposed; I like the rule. Yes, I agree than different than the other out of bound's rules -- but that's the point. The endzone IS different and is supposed to be different. The end zone is special. If you as the offense don't take special care of the ball (the most prized possession in the game) around the most special part of the field -- then yes, you should absolutely be penalized by a loss of possession. It was your fault for not protecting the ball.

Sep 15, 2023, 12:59 PM

Your reasoning is sound, and might be why it has continued to be the rule through all of these "discussions".

Sep 15, 2023, 12:46 PM

Here is another one for you all. Defensive penalty when backed up near the goal without enough yardage...half the distance to the goal line. Offensive penalty...full amount. Rule since forever. Should this be changed?

Sep 15, 2023, 1:09 PM

Its been that way forever. If players don't like then stop fumbling into the end zone.

Sep 15, 2023, 5:52 PM

I think its a dumb rule. The placement of the ball in different scenarios should be consistent.
Unless I'm wrong, these are the rules:
If you fumble the ball forward and it goes out of bounds on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down, ball is marked where it went out of bounds.
If the ball is fumbled backward out of bounds, this same rule does not apply. Instead, the offense would get the ball where the ball went out, which likely results in a loss of yards.

If you fumble forward on 4th down it is marked where you fumbled. If the ball is fumbled forward on 4th down, the only player who can recover and advance the ball is the initial ball carrier.
It’s also not allowed to fumble the ball forward on a two-point conversion. If the ball gets fumbled forward and goes out of bounds, it will be returned to the original spot where it occurred to avoid players fumbling on purpose to try and gain extra yards.

Here's my take,
They make all these dumb, inconsistent interpretations of different fumbling scenarios out of concern for someone intentionally fumbling forward to get yards they didn't earn. I intentionally fumbling is a huge risk/reward situation that I would not coach my players to do for 2 reasons. 1) It could be ruled an illegal forward pass with 5 yard penalty and loss of down. and 2) it is an oblong sphere that doesnt go where you want it to when it hits the ground. Hence the risk/reward is not worth it.
Just make it simple. "All fumbles are ruled down where the fumble is recovered unless it goes out of bounds, then the last team that had possession of it gets the ball where they last had possession of it"

https://gamedayculture.com/can-you-fumble-the-ball-forward-in-college-football/#what-happens-if-you-fumble-forward-out-of-bounds-in-college-football

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Sep 15, 2023, 6:38 PM

In your fumbling backwards example, the same rule actually does apply consistent with the forward yardage scenarios. In each case the ball is being spotted where it went out of bounds, either forward or backwards, save for the 4th down exception, which itself is consistent with a 2-point conversion, as they both represent your only remaining chance to either move the chains or score. I also find it consistent and fair that only the O player fumbling can advance the ball with his own recovery, as it's a sign of a more legitimate play at hand, instead of a ploy.

The End Zone is the Defense's home turf. Job Numero Uno is preventing an Offense from entering. If a play from an Offense spills the ball into and out of your home turf area, they lost possession on that play in your turf, so possession D at the 20 as a Touchback is pretty dang appropriate. IMO.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 2726
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic