Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1988 (11)Clemson- 10 Virginia- 7
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 4
| visibility 473

On This Date: 1988 (11)Clemson- 10 Virginia- 7

Oct 8, 2024, 9:23 AM

10/08/1988
Charlottesville, VA

Clemson Escapes With ACC Win, 10-7
L.A. Times Archives
Oct. 8, 1988 12 AM PT

Even on an off day, No. 11 Clemson still managed to come up with enough for its annual victory over Virginia.

“We dodged a bullet,” Coach Danny Ford said after Rodney Williams threw a 14-yard scoring pass to Chip Davis with 1:52 remaining to lift Clemson to a 10-7 Atlantic Coast Conference victory over the Cavaliers Saturday at Charlottesville, Va.

The touchdown capped an 8-play, 80-yard drive by the Tigers after Virginia had taken a 7-3 lead on Herman Moore’s juggling reception in the end zone.

Clemson added to its National Collegiate Athletic Assn. record for consecutive victories in a series, having beaten Virginia for the 28th time.

The Tigers improved to 4-1 overall and 2-0 in the ACC. Virginia fell to 2-3 and 1-2.

The Tigers, who entered the game having committed just 1 turnover in 285 plays this season, lost a pair of fumbles inside Virginia territory in the first half.

Each team also missed a field goal in the scoreless first half.

Chris Gardocki put Clemson ahead, 3-0, with his 33-yard field goal with 1:26 left in the third quarter.

With 10:16 to play, Virginia put together an 11-play, 76-yard drive that ended when quarterback Shawn Moore found receiver Moore in the right corner of the end zone with a 14-yard scoring toss.

Clemson took the ensuing kickoff and moved 66 yards in 7 plays before Williams found Davis racing down the left sideline for the winning touchdown. Terry Allen helped set up the score with a 39-yard run that moved the ball to the Virginia 22.

Virginia ran 8 plays after the touchdown, but it lost the ball on downs at the Clemson 45 with 16 seconds to play.

After Virginia’s Mark Inderlied missed a 41-yard field goal midway through the first half, Gardocki was wide left from 37 yards on Clemson’s opening possession of the second quarter.

Later in the quarter, Clemson moved 70 yards in 11 plays and had a first-and-goal at the Virginia 10. But Williams fumbled the snap, and the Cavaliers’ Ray Savage recovered.

Virginia responded by driving to the Clemson 40, but the Tigers’ James Lott intercepted a pass by Moore at the 3-yard line.

Both teams were coming off an open date. Allen, who used the hiatus to undergo arthroscopic knee surgery, led all runners with 145 yards in 24 carries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 1988 (11)Clemson- 10 Virginia- 7

Oct 8, 2024, 9:40 AM

Was there. Last time we went to UVA since kids began to arrive consume our time.

I recall that on the TD play, UVA failed to see Davis and he was all alone in the far sideline. Saved the Tigers from their first loss to UVA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2024, 10:41 AM

I listened to it on the radio and that's exactly what happened. I remember Jim Phillips calling it. The rest of the offense ran a running play and Rodney Williams just took a step back on the snap and threw it to Davis. They were the only two who recognized he was uncovered. Fortunately it happened so quickly that no OL had time to get downfield and draw a flag.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2024, 10:47 AM

Ha...I just went back and looked at that video clip...you can see that only Williams and Davis knew what was happening. The line is run blocking and looks like the backs expected an option.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cheers to the UVA Pep Band

Oct 8, 2024, 11:16 AM

It has since been disbanded, but I found the UVA Pep Band to be quite humorous and entertaining. Sure, they made fun of Clemson, but the Tigers would win the game and be the real winner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 473
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next