Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need Help with SC Administrative Certification Reciprocity Any Contacts?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 9
| visibility 1226

Need Help with SC Administrative Certification Reciprocity Any Contacts?

Jun 27, 2024, 7:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this is not the right place, but I could really use some advice and thought I’d start here.

It looks like I may need to move back to South Carolina after my first year as an assistant principal at an international school in the Middle East to take care of my elderly mom. I've worked incredibly hard to earn my administrative certificate from Washington DC and will soon complete my doctorate in educational leadership after four years of dedication. Additionally, I have over 13 years of experience teaching and leading mathematics departments.

Unfortunately, the process to gain reciprocity for my Washington DC certification in South Carolina has been incredibly challenging, despite there being an agreement between the two states. The customer service line hasn’t been very helpful.

I’m reaching out to see if anyone here has a good contact for certification requests in South Carolina. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PBT

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need Help with SC Administrative Certification Reciprocity Any Contacts?

Jun 27, 2024, 7:25 PM

I relate to the Mom situation. Wishing you the best with all of your endeavors. Between your stepdad and Mom, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks man. More than you know! ;-)***

Jun 27, 2024, 7:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you can find a district that wants to hire you

Jun 27, 2024, 8:43 PM

They will handle all that for you

I learned the hard way the the cert office really only wants to work with district personnel offices not individuals

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Thanks for that!***

Jun 27, 2024, 10:11 PM

Theres a reason SC is about last

Jun 27, 2024, 8:49 PM

in the nation for education. A whole lot of it resides in Columbia at the SC DOE. Although I got my UG and Masters at Clemson, I didn’t teach in SC until 15 years later and it was still a mess to go through when I moved back. You will probably have more luck going to Columbia and banging on doors instead of trying to get help through the phone or email. GOOD LUCK!

Re: Theres a reason SC is about last

Jun 27, 2024, 10:12 PM

Thank you! Maybe I'll drive up to Colombia.

Re: Theres a reason SC is about last

Jun 28, 2024, 7:38 AM

If the school district isn't getting it done call the State Senator from your Mom's district and if you need help on the DC end call one of our US Senators.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It can be done but good luck with the red tape

Jun 28, 2024, 8:42 AM

They should certify you based on college transcripts and proof of experience, but they sometimes are unreasonable. Back in the '70's, I was working with a fellow school psychologist who finished a 60 hour Masters program in Arizona. In SC you could be certified as a Level I school psych with a 30 hour Masters but a Level II person had to have a 30 hour Masters plus an additional 30 hours (after the Masters for a total of 60). The same 60 hours for Level II - right? Not according to those in Columbia so they didn't want to give her Level II and she had a lot of trouble getting the higher level of certification because she did not have 30 beyond the degree . It was finally resolved in her favor but should not have been an issue.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need Help with SC Administrative Certification Reciprocity Any Contacts?

Jun 28, 2024, 9:33 PM

Asst Principal…playboy logo. 🤔
Not judging, just curious how you would be taken seriously if potential employers were to see that.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1226
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next