Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In memory of my good friend Bill Kilgore. He's been gone now for 25 years.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 951

In memory of my good friend Bill Kilgore. He's been gone now for 25 years.

Apr 19, 2024, 11:04 AM

Some of you old farts may remember this tragedy. Bill was Director of Business Affairs at Clemson. He was at a conference in Orlando in April 1999 and had brought his family along for a vacation. For reasons never really understood, they were crossing a busy highway around midnight and hit by a car. His wife and son were killed, and he suffered severe brain injuries. His daughter was the only one to survive. Bill hung on for a few months before he died.

I've had a hole in my heart ever since, and always will. I always know when April is coming around because I get sad for no reason. I was an only child but Bill was as close to a brother as I ever had. We met in 7th grade and immediately hit it off. He was smart as hel! and had an amazing sense of humor... like mine, totally irreverent and a bit twisted by most standards. We'd talk on the phone for a couple hours and both be in tears from laughter.

This is a picture from 1974 our junior year in HS. Much to the chagrin and astonishment of the counselors and teachers at Carolina High School, these two dope smoking hippies were the smartest kids in the school. Not the butt kissing teacher pets and NHS members. We were Furman Scholars, as we had the highest SAT scores, and qualified for an academic scholarship. That's me on the far left and Bill giving the thumbs up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: In memory of my good friend Bill Kilgore. He's been gone now for 25 years.

Apr 19, 2024, 11:12 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Good friends are hard to find.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thx for sharing & yes, what a terrible loss of a friend & family.

Apr 19, 2024, 11:13 AM

And, what hair you Guys had! Geez!!

I attended Furman 1 year at night school in 1960-61 and can relate a bit to the Paladin high scholastic educational achievements attained there.

Message was edited by: lightbulbbill®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's an article about the incident...

Apr 19, 2024, 11:16 AM

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/1999/04/15/family-trip-to-orlando-has-tragic-end-2-die/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2024, 11:20 AM

Prayers and good thoughts as you remember!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Apr 19, 2024, 11:50 AM

I knew a kid like that growing up. Wild man hippie and a genius. Truly brilliant. He’d walk into AP classes and the teacher would think he was in the wrong room. Smartest kid in the school by a country mile.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2024, 12:46 PM

Prayers for you. I know what it's like to lose your best friend. We were both 31 and had been best friends since elementary school. It's a gut punch when it happens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember this very well.

Apr 19, 2024, 2:49 PM

Bill passed away in August of that year less than a week before I was scheduled to take my oldest to begin his freshman year at Clemson.

His father dictated a post to a friend - it might have been you - to announce his passing. In the post he mentioned that he had just finished giving Bill a shave and was still sitting beside his bed when he passed. The image of a loving father tending to his son's needs right up to his last breath has stuck with me to this very day. As a father who was about to take his own precious son to a new, unknown beginning where he would be apart from me for the first time, I wept with Mr. Kilgore.

Thank you for this reminder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, you remember correctly 75. Bill was eventually moved from ORMC (Orlando

Apr 19, 2024, 4:08 PM

Regional Medical Center) to the Shephard Center in Atlanta... it specializes in brain and spinal cord injuries. His brain had swollen and they had to drill a hole in his skull to relieve the pressure. When it was OK for me to visit I drove down to see him. It was so sad. It looked like Bill, but it wasn't him. He just kinda grinned and looked at me like he was trying to figure out who I was. I couldn't take it and left after about 20 mins. He finally passed in August, as you said.

I don't know if his father's post was directed to me or not. But I knew his parents (Bill Sr and Marilyn) well, and spent a lot of time at his house during high school. Bill Sr was a Ga Tech grad, the first college graduate any of us had ever known. We were awestruck, as lowly lint-heads from the cotton mills of Gville. He was also an audiophile and had the first quad system I'd ever seen or heard. When his parents were out of town we'd crank up Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc.

TigerSmith '75®

Apr 19, 2024, 3:04 PM

I had hair like that, now not so much.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Apr 19, 2024, 4:24 PM

Sorry to learn about such a huge family tragedy and your loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 19, 2024, 5:30 PM

You are probably a lot younger than me Moon but we do share something
We are both lint heads from Greenville.I went to Parker and you went to
nearby Carolina.I never heard of this tragic accident but I know it had
to hurt you very badly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 951
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic