Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson bookstore is renting textbooks now...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Clemson bookstore is renting textbooks now...

Aug 3, 2010, 10:32 PM

Not a bad idea but I wonder who decides what "normal wear and tear" means and who decides it when students bring the books back. When I was at Clemson I always went to the bookstore before classes started and wrote down what books I needed then got them used off of Amazon or eBay. It took a couple days for them to get to me but they were always less than 50% of what the bookstore charged.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/24500061/detail.html

Clemson University Offers Textbook Rentals
Students Guaranteed Savings Of 50 Percent
Tim Waller, WYFF News 4

CLEMSON, S.C. -- College tuition may be on the rise, but a growing number of universities, including Clemson, are giving students a break on their textbooks.

Starting this fall, Clemson students can rent textbooks at a 50 percent savings.

"The price of textbooks has been going up over the past few years. It's been a big concern among students and parents. And this is a way to really help bring that cost down," said Kevin Harrington, manager of the Clemson University Bookstore.

Harrington said the average cost of textbooks for incoming freshmen is between $600 and $700. He said students who rent textbooks can expect to pay $350 for the same books.

"You get it for the entire semester. You have about 10 days after the last day of class to bring it back to us. If you bring it back to us in normal wear and tear condition, then there's no additional charge," he said.

Students who are interested in textbook rentals can visit the Clemson University Bookstore, or shop online at the bookstore website.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

half.com is what I always used***

Aug 3, 2010, 10:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If I was a student now, I'd get a Kindle, Ipad, etc.

Aug 3, 2010, 10:40 PM

#### lugging all those damm books round campus during the semesters I piled all my classes into Tues and Thurs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College books have been a ripoff since the dawn of

Aug 4, 2010, 7:15 AM

mankind.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Isn't that what most students do anyway?

Aug 4, 2010, 8:17 AM

Buy the book before classes start, sell it back to the bookstore at a reduced rate just after finals for beer money?

I can see their plan working for some majors, but I don't know how many of the courses follow on some of the same books. I do remember a bunch of the general courses for engineering required the same book for multiple semesters. Physics used the same book for 3 semesters. Calculus did, too. Seems like a good way for the bookstore to get some extra money from students who aren't paying attention to what they're going to need down the road.

Oh, and I agree with the Kindle comment. Wonder how that would work for courses with open book tests, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

since when are college students required to purchase

Aug 4, 2010, 10:35 AM

books?

oh wait...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw a place in Gvl renting tires and rims

Aug 4, 2010, 10:36 AM

Just imagine, having new spinner rims every couple of months!

SAWEETTT!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic