Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
13 commitments a month and half from signing day
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 44
| visibility 4243

13 commitments a month and half from signing day

Oct 15, 2024, 12:20 PM

Also this is the year rosters and scholarships move to 105. It doesn't matter how you feel about the portal; we're gonna need to get some players from it this cycle.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 13 commitments a month and half from signing day

Oct 15, 2024, 12:34 PM

Yea the class is shaping up to be a small haul unless we get a few here in the last couple months.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moving up the scholarship numbers doesn't increase the talent pool and it

Oct 15, 2024, 12:42 PM

doesn't increase the number of talented players who are willing to wait patiently on the bench. It just turns walk ons into scholarship players. Supply and demand.

As Dabo said yesterday, we aren't losing but about 5 seniors and probably no juniors are entering the draft. With 13 commitments, we'll be close to 90 guys on scholarship that we recruited plus the walk ons that get awarded scholarships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And when 0310 state Jawja and Bama add 15 or so transfer guys from G5

Oct 15, 2024, 12:47 PM

Schools with their 20 new scholarships while we award walk ons scholarships we get further behind.

Re: And when 0310 state Jawja and Bama add 15 or so transfer guys from G5

Oct 15, 2024, 12:53 PM

geech72® said:

Schools with their 20 new scholarships while we award walk ons scholarships we get further behind.

Yeah, that's true.
But, players want to play. If you're a good player and you think you have a future in football, you will not want to just be paid NIL money to sit. Why not get NIL money and be able to put some video out for NFL scouts.

Bama, Georgia, Ohio State having these super deep rosters sounds "SCARY" until you look into the mind of a kid who wants "both"!

If those schools are going to provide a kid to "sit the bench" for what Clemson would pay a starting star player - then it might be trouble. But, even then, a player would be getting "hush money" whilst "not putting anything on video" for scouts! Which is a no-no if they have grown accustomed to football providing revenue.
In other words, they will still seek places where they can play. Lots of good players out there and Clemson is not "new to NIL or not a major player in it"! Clemson just doesn't use the portal.
Too many people mix those two things up!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the 80s Clemson stockpiled good players who didn't play much.

Oct 15, 2024, 1:20 PM

And they kept them off of other team's rosters. I am not saying that strategy will work in this NIL / Portal environment, but it's not going to stop teams from trying.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teams who think the 70s/80s offer any insight into today's college football from

Oct 15, 2024, 1:31 PM

a roster standpoint are in for a rude awakening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Further behind???

Oct 15, 2024, 1:40 PM [ in reply to And when 0310 state Jawja and Bama add 15 or so transfer guys from G5 ]

LOLOLOL

Clemson will compete for a national championship this year.

Are you really this ignorant? Or do you just like to troll?
It’s hard to tell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you think our roster is as deep as theirs right now? Do you think we're

Oct 15, 2024, 2:07 PM

As talented and deep as we were in '16 or '18? Do you think we have as many NFL players on our roster as we did 5 years ago or as many as other elite teams do today.

If you do you're just ignorant, that's not hard to tell.

ROTFL or whatever you say when you're trying to sound smart.

Re: Do you think our roster is as deep as theirs right now? Do you think we're

Oct 15, 2024, 2:18 PM

I don’t care about the NFL, genius.
That’s not what we’re talking about.

If Clemson is still competing for championships, you’re really special if you’re still going with the stupid “falling behind” narrative.
That has already been discredited.

It's been 3 years since we've played in a playoff game; we ain't in the playoffs

Oct 15, 2024, 2:23 PM

Yet this year. If you don't think that's falling behind you must be one of those everyone gets a participation trophy guys. Collect your little ribbon and head over to Starbies for a PSL.

LOL

Oct 15, 2024, 2:28 PM

Obviously you hope Clemson doesn’t make the playoff this year, so you can be correct on your little message board posts.

Don’t let the coaches know that.
They may stop letting you in to take a peek at the recruiting board.

Yes obviously you got me I care far more about a message board than

Oct 15, 2024, 2:54 PM

My team. I dont need to prove my fandom to you. The point you still haven't refuted in spite of your obfuscations is we're gonna need to get guys out of the portal. When Dabo does get some guys this year, because he knows he needs to, whatcha gonna say then?

It is interesting that Kirby Smart says Georgia has less depth than ever

Oct 15, 2024, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Do you think our roster is as deep as theirs right now? Do you think we're ]

this year and that injuries could be a problem.

With Georgia being possibly the best job in the country, you would think having 85 talented players on their roster would be a piece of cake - he can just plug and play.

Re: Further behind???

Oct 15, 2024, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Further behind??? ]

It isn't about this year. With the rule changes, we get 15 more scholarships beginning NEXT year, and moving forward. The point being made is let's try and maximize those extra scholarships with the best players we can attract. Using all of them for walk ons when our competition is maximizing their rosters with quality and depth would not seem to be the best we can do.

Minus transfers out

Oct 15, 2024, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Moving up the scholarship numbers doesn't increase the talent pool and it ]

Which has been averaging just under 12/year over the last 3 years. Numbers-wise that alone could essentially offset our current recruiting class.

I doubt we lose 5 players this offseason. Given how much better we are this

Oct 15, 2024, 1:44 PM

year than anybody expected, I like our chances of finding a few more diamonds in the next few months to effectively trade up. Dabo and staff excel at finding guys.

Most walk-on players are well below scholarship players

Oct 15, 2024, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Moving up the scholarship numbers doesn't increase the talent pool and it ]

in terms of talent. Not a positive development.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Moving up the scholarship numbers doesn't increase the talent pool and it

Oct 15, 2024, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Moving up the scholarship numbers doesn't increase the talent pool and it ]

Do we really need 15 walk ons? Shouldn't we be using most of those extra scholarships to bring in people who can actually help us?

Oct 15, 2024, 12:43 PM

Rosters don't move to 105 until July 1. As Dabo said in his presser, only have 12 scholarship seniors, and 8 can return. So until summer, still working under this year's rules

Hopefully Dabo sees this post.

Oct 15, 2024, 12:48 PM

@ daboswinney

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

hahah.

Oct 15, 2024, 1:22 PM

A good joke, and an even better deflection. Cheers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont think you know the definition of deflection.***

Oct 15, 2024, 2:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Hopefully Dabo sees this post.

Oct 15, 2024, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Hopefully Dabo sees this post. ]

Dabo only looks at the posts that I recommend.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems like our '25 number has been targeted at 17 max for this class

Oct 15, 2024, 1:05 PM

from early on.

It definitely flies in the face of many narratives that we're always a younger team due to not portaling like others yet our HS class sizes are smaller annually than just about every single major competitive program out there.

Re: It seems like our '25 number has been targeted at 17 max for this class

Oct 15, 2024, 1:08 PM

Speaks to our retention.

Seems like high schoolers just don't care that Dabo is willing to develop...

Oct 15, 2024, 1:25 PM [ in reply to It seems like our '25 number has been targeted at 17 max for this class ]

..players instead of replacing them on the roster at the drop of a hat.

I thought that not using the portal would boost our HS recruiting. That's just not happening like I thought it would / should.

You should check out our average player rating on the HS front.

Oct 15, 2024, 2:32 PM

We're consistently Top 10 there, as we are for the '25 class.

We don't have room in this upcoming class for many more, in large part due to the opposite of what you're saying about HS kids not choosing to come here for development in our program. We have almost 3x the number of Redshirts throughout the classes than we do those true to their class. For this coming class - they can't come if we don't have the room, and we do not have the room.

Agreed!

Oct 15, 2024, 6:41 PM

We're consistently Top 10 there, as we are for the '25 class.

We don't have room in this upcoming class for many more, in large part due to the opposite of what you're saying about HS kids not choosing to come here for development in our program. We have almost 3x the number of Redshirts throughout the classes than we do those true to their class. For this coming class - they can't come if we don't have the room, and we do not have the room.

Agreed! 100%

wildblulou® I really don't think people understand - "When Clemson dominated CFB for what a 7 year period strong; either making the playoffs or making it and winning it" we never had a composite #1 class. Not even close!

In 2016, we had the composite #11 overall class! As long as we continue to pick our spots and get "some-high-end-talent" to mix with very talented under-valued players who we can develop(which is what has worked) Clemson will be fine.

Were currently 19th thats a pretty good distance from 11th

Oct 15, 2024, 7:45 PM

with only 13 coming in you can’t miss on anyone and you don’t have a lot of bodies to develop

We are 8th in Average Star rating - our wheelhouse.

Oct 15, 2024, 7:54 PM

And you have to love this - with only 17 max we're getting older than just about everyone who matters ahead of us in those incoming numbers, some by a lot. And they're OUR older, not someone else's.

You keep harping on the average ranking like it's the most important factor

Oct 15, 2024, 8:51 PM

It's not everything. Sure quality is better than just quantity; but you gotta have some quantity. Football is a violent dangerous sport 13 roster additions is not enough; we have to augment that number in the portal. Also what do you think is gonna happen to that average ranking if the staff signs 3 or 4 guys who were fallback choices and aren't rated as highly?

Geech my main man. There isn't any room at the Inn for what you want here.

Oct 15, 2024, 9:05 PM

For now it's 85, and our current and leaving and incoming just doesn't allow this stock the roster with more more more here. It's not a failure to bring them in - there just isn't much room this time around. They've been extra selective to boot and are going to keep on the quality side and max out the numbers.

There will be surprises and Dabo will likely look portal in some areas if the rooms want it. I wouldn't be surprised for us to see a few come in. If he offers the spot is open to commit to.

Go Tigers! Beat the Hoos!

That's just not true.

Oct 15, 2024, 9:23 PM

1st show me how at 85 scholarships we only have room for 13 signees. We've had one class that small in decades.

2nd we go to 105 at the start of the new athletic year on July 1st, this is before the start of the academic year. There will be 20 additional grant in aid agreements available to be signed by new players before we even begin camp. If we don't get players from high school or the portal to fill those slots the only thing to do is put walkons on scholarship. Do you believe the other elite teams we are competing with are gonna use most of those scholarships on walkons?

We definitely agree on one thing: Go Tigers!

Dabo's "Dandy Baker's Dozen"***

Oct 15, 2024, 1:23 PM

Oct 15, 2024, 1:26 PM

I just don't see this years class getting above 15 or 16 max.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2024, 1:27 PM

Sounds like you were in the football office this morning and got a good look at their recruiting board.

That’s really cool!
Can you share with us what you saw?
Of course you can’t give away too many insider secrets. But you can throw some crumbs to the peasants, ya know.

All it takes is an active internet connection to see this class is behind where

Oct 15, 2024, 2:11 PM

We have been in the last decade and where are competitors currently are. I'll send you an AOL cd rom and you can get yourself some of that sweet dial up action.

Re: All it takes is an active internet connection to see this class is behind where

Oct 15, 2024, 2:20 PM

You’ve resorted to making an imaginary insult of my internet connection?

That’s weird.

Do you demand to see my medical records, too?

Cool you've got nothing to say about the OP because the facts are clear***

Oct 15, 2024, 2:25 PM

Except you did not state a fact.***

Oct 15, 2024, 2:31 PM

That same internet connection will inform you that our average talent rating

Oct 15, 2024, 2:35 PM [ in reply to All it takes is an active internet connection to see this class is behind where ]

is very much in line where we've been the past decade. Our numbers are less, as they have been historically, because we retain players so much better than other programs.

Sure the average ranking is still good but the count of commits hasnt been this

Oct 15, 2024, 7:34 PM

low since Dabo’s first dandy dozen after they took the interim tag off. We’re gonna need to get guys from the portal there’s no two ways about it.

Oct 15, 2024, 1:47 PM

Many other coaches over sign, and then tell kids to leave after spring practice to make the numbers work. I like Dabo's way, tell them where they stand, what they need to work on, and then encourage them to stay.

I guess we will see how the 105 works out.

Oct 15, 2024, 7:29 PM

Does this have something to do with the 105 player limit that goes into affect July 1st? The Tigers only have 2 or so players that can't come back. Others will leave but as Dabo said today, they are in the process of managing the team now rather than wait until July 1st. Spring Practice will be the end for many.

Replies: 44
| visibility 4243
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next