Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the baseball experts
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,451

For the baseball experts

May 8, 2024, 8:03 AM

Went to the game in Charlotte last night, thrilling come-from-behind win for top 5 (or 2) Clemson Tigers! As I understand it we are trying to qualify for a home regional, and then god willing home super regional. Does winning a game (albeit in thrilling last minute fashion) hurt our chances? Is this the equivalent of a football “bad win”?

I think I am going to just continue to enjoy the ride and celebrate the w’s.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Re: For the baseball experts

May 8, 2024, 8:07 AM

All that will be looked at is the W or L, it's like "a bloop double behind the 1st baseman, it looks like a line drive off the left field wall in the paper!"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basically, the win/loss record, strength of schedule, and ranking

May 8, 2024, 8:07 AM

feed into the Regional / overall tournament seed. Last night's win (or loss) doesn't move the needle much, but it certainly helped.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

May 8, 2024, 8:26 AM

Doesnt hurt or help...

Ideally, you use the midweek games to get some of your reserve players some experience and game time action but currently our pitching staff deems that absolutely impossible to do.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

But we keep winning

May 8, 2024, 8:44 AM

And are ranked as high as 2nd. Isn’t that awesome? Sounds like they are killing it!

Seemed like a ton of pitchers got some time on the mound so that was the experience you are talking about, no?

I think I will just stay blissfully ignorant if winning is not enough. GO TIGERS!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Re: But we keep winning

May 8, 2024, 9:21 AM

Top two rank is amazing. To quote Dabo: “They don’t give out any awards for in season rankings!”

As a former baseball player that played until age 27; I see a team that has incredible offensive ability. I also see a team that can’t hold a lead. What’s going to happen when we hit the regional or super-regional and are facing a legit ace that holds us below two runs? The regionals aren’t packed with those type of pitchers but the supers and CWS are. I’d feel a lot more confident if we had a true ( 1 era) ace and a second ace around 2.50 to 3.00 to close out a series. We also need a shut down closer and middle relief guy we just don’t have. I’m not saying we can’t make it to Omaha. I’m just saying our lack of pitching is going to make it hard.

That said, Charlotte has some dudes that can hit. They’re a tough out against anyone. I honestly thought we had blown that one last night. That four run ninth was awesome.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But we keep winning

May 8, 2024, 10:28 AM [ in reply to But we keep winning ]

They keep in spite of putrid secondary pitching. Unfortunately, that strategic model is not sustainable in baseball if you want to experience any sort of success. The truth is that outside of Knaak and Smith, our pitching is a crap shoot...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Losing last night to UNC Charlotte, a well below .500 team

May 8, 2024, 9:14 AM

would have really hurt the Tigers in any kind of close call on those regionals and super regionals you speak about.

Clemson is among elite company at the top of the baseball polls, and this is a part of the season where you begin to separate those top teams from the rest.

Clemson keeps winning, the rest works itself out. Bullpen has issues, we all know it, but Clemson bats continue to overcome this many times through this season. If the bullpen comes around, and the bats can keep getting the big hits, this team can make a lot of noise.

Enjoying the season and some of the these scores are crazy if you check the games this season. Crazy FSU & GT Series

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoying the season

May 8, 2024, 9:49 AM

right on my man

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 8, 2024, 9:38 AM

Baseball unlike golf does have comments associated with the scorecard...however the ability to come back from deficits does have great value in baseball...teams that don't ever say die scare everyone to death..ex. Astros a few years ago...never gave up!

May 8, 2024, 9:45 AM

Other issue here is our ability to hit Homer's in bunches...pitching staff can be streaky...sometimes with a large bullpen you can shop to find a hot one and ride him a while...nobody ever went to the game to see Babe Rutn pitch but the Yankees had to build a new stadium to see him hit!

May 8, 2024, 10:10 AM

I am no expert but it seems as far as the polls are concerned midweek games hold very little sway win or lose. The weekend series are the ones that matter from a polling standpoint. For example Arkansas and Texas AM both have better records but both suffered setbacks in RPI and weekend series this past week. Clemson moved up in the rankings by virtue of a 2-1 series win. Also Florida serves as an example albeit an extreme one in that they were ranked in the top 10 with a record of 14-10 because they lost midweek games but held serve in weekend series. To be fair I disagree with that approach and they certainly weren't deserving of a top 10 ranking, but that is how teams are being polled this year.

May 8, 2024, 10:58 AM

No bad wins. Just keep winning baby.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,451
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next