Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 2900

Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade?

May 19, 2024, 2:21 PM

I really like our defense and think they will keep us in a lot of games. We have talent and depth and that should serve us well. I think we will go as far as our offense, and particularly our QB and OL can take us. Our WR group and depth should be much improved and I like our TE room. If Luke can get some improvement and productivity out of our OL, that will be a huge boost. Our lack of experienced depth at RB is a little concerning but if we stay healthy, we will still have a solid run game.

Centering in on Cade, I wonder if Riley needs to tweak the offense to adapt to what Cade does well, rather than trying to make Cade fit his offense? I recognize you can't change the offense completely, which is why I mention a "tweek" or two. One thing we saw in the Kentucky game is that Cade seems to be more comfortable when the offense is "up tempo." Late in the season, he started to look much better and less chaotic in the 2-minute offense.

I think his improvement will mirror the team's improvement and hope this is the year he lives up to expectations and realizes his full potential.

Message was edited by: slwcu79®

2024 free_orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade?

May 19, 2024, 2:32 PM

I think we will know after this season with the better OL, better WR's, hreat TE's, and a more experienced and mature Cade. I was never a han of Riley's offense even before he came to Clemson. I feel like we will know all we need to know this season. I think the verdict is still out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 8:01 PM

Riley had a o-line previously. It has never been a strength or priority for Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Hammer, meet nail.

May 20, 2024, 7:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade? ]

We have no idea what "Riley's offense" is.

And, when your offensive line is mediocre and your WR's are injured, any offense will struggle.

As Tampa Bay Bucs fans used to say back in the day they were first formed and folks were blaming Doug Williams, some people would remind those folks, "No one can quarterback from the seat of his pants."

When Williams got an OL and some good WRs, people quit blaming Williams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Verdict still definitely out on Riley. I dont get the love affair

May 20, 2024, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade? ]

with his brother either!

May 19, 2024, 2:33 PM

I’ve thought a lot about this too. I think Chad Morris’s offense is more of a natural fit for Cade (uptempo). Riley’s offense seems to run completely off of a QB that can make quick reads, both in the run game; and passing game. Without doing those successfully, the big play opportunities aren’t there in this playbook. I also think that’s why Duggan had a good year with him at TCU because he was a 5th year Senior and the speed of the game was more comfortable to him. I’m hoping the coaches will go more uptempo this season, especially with the defense we are expected to have.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 4:32 PM

Some mock drafts have them with 6 players in the first round next year. They have us with Barrett Carter in the 2nd. Everyone thinks it will be a mismatch. I hope we shock everyone. I think we just might.

May 21, 2024, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade? ]

You know who DOES make those quick reads? Trent Pearman.

Doesn't matter in the end. We know what Dabo will do.

Clemson ran Dabo's Offense last year especially after poor OL, QB, WR play

May 19, 2024, 3:28 PM

Hopefully, all areas show improvement, Dabo demonstrates some confidence in his recruited players, and Riley is given an opportunity to run the Offense. It's been said before by many, and it's true. The Defense has been stellar and can hold their own. The Offense shows no confidence or imagination. It can beat most of the weak sisters of the ACC, but has been less able to compete against confident & talented playoff level teams.

Clearly, UGA will be a big test. Will the Offense run it up the middle with Mafah over & over and sprinkle in bubble screens with the UGA safeties locked in at the line of scrimmage? Or will the Offense be able to block enough to balance it out with some mid-range passes? It will be a challenging day for the Tiger Defense, but I'm optimistic the Tigers will bring it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson ran Dabo's Offense last year especially after poor OL, QB, WR play

May 19, 2024, 4:58 PM

Didn’t bode well for Riley the last time his offensive scheme played Georgia. Ga 63-TCU 7

Re: Clemson ran Dabo's Offense last year especially after poor OL, QB, WR play

May 20, 2024, 7:08 AM

You missed the point...Riley top rated RB from Mt. ENTERPRISE was injured and so was his QB...top notch running plus a great hard nosed run and shoot QB can scorch most Ds ...Chad would have been fine with that layout...not sure Cade will be a great college running back ever...he's too willowy for lack of a better word... TL was at first but matured...he had a RB mentality! Chad Os are flexible in that he can use different tools to open your can! Even heard that Stephenville he ran something that looked like a bone...except all the RBs were receivers...wanna give linebackers a stroke!

May 19, 2024, 3:57 PM

Not so far. Maybe this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 4:21 PM

I believe with Cade he is a player “ when you think long you play wrong”. He is a better player in an up tempo game for sure. This is his natural feel for the game and is his strength. The only downside to this is if you go multiple 3 and outs fast then your defense will get gassed. Hopefully with better players this won’t be the case. Excited to see how this year will play out. Go Tigers

May 19, 2024, 6:52 PM

That's what happened with UGA 2014...defense was getting tired cause we couldn't get first downs

I sure hope we havent seen the best of Cade.***

May 19, 2024, 5:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I sure hope we havent seen the best of Cade.***

May 19, 2024, 5:08 PM

We haven't. I just don't know what is upside is though.

May 19, 2024, 5:07 PM

I can't say that we made any progress when Riley came here. He's been handicapped with the offensive line but he didn't do anything to overcome our shortcomings either. We just looked the same IMO. We paid a lot to look the same.

May 19, 2024, 5:20 PM

We had issues at WR too though. He didn't have that much to work with.

May 19, 2024, 7:45 PM

And too many dropped balls and failures in blocking downfield. We have to get better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 8:10 AM

Ehhh...one time I saw some good downfield blocking and Cade ran right into the back of the WR blocking for him lol

May 20, 2024, 7:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Does Riley's offense bring out the best in Cade? ]

Make no mistake about it, you have not seen Riley's offense and probably never will. You are seeing Dabo's offense with Riley partially calling the shots. Just look at film of games.Our offensive play calling changed when Scott left and has never been the same since. Look at videos of old games vs. games starting in 2021. Night & day......and is still the same as in 2021.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps because you didnt have a DW or TL out

May 20, 2024, 12:46 PM

there???

I dont think Cade brings out the best in Rileys offense.

May 19, 2024, 5:08 PM

He is slow to process things, has little pocket awareness and makes poor decisions. I love the kid but so far that has been the reality that few want to admit. Everyone would rather blame Riley than face the reality that Cade has not panned out so far.

Re: I dont think Cade brings out the best in Rileys offense.

May 19, 2024, 5:21 PM

He will have something to work with this year.

May 19, 2024, 5:13 PM

Cade has to show he's a threat to have success deeper downfield. I realize there are other factors involved to succeed at this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 5:31 PM

easy to 2 see Cade functions better in the 2 minute fence!

May 19, 2024, 5:49 PM

easy to 2 see Cade functions better in the 2 minute fence!

May 19, 2024, 6:46 PM

Riley's offense last year seemed to stall out of nowhere. They would be moving down the field and throw a WR screen and lose 7 yards. It was always something that would kill a drive. The worst big play offense Clemson has seen in a long time.
Hopefully it was the poor performance of the players and not the play calling.

May 19, 2024, 6:50 PM

What is cade good at? Nothing…… he only did well in the one drive against Kentucky because they went prevent. They never blitzed on the drive and sometimes only brought 3 linemen. Mark stoops special

May 19, 2024, 7:52 PM

We don't know if he is good at things? He had a junk OL and a weak depleted receiving corps. We will find out this season.

May 20, 2024, 6:57 AM

No. When he had tine he still stunk. Receivers were open way more than our fans realize. Unfortunately most fans just aren’t knowledgeable sports minds. They just love the university and its teams. I know sports. Our concepts last year got receivers open more than the average fsn could see. Go back and watch games. Don’t even look at Cade. Watch our receivers every play of every game and tell me they weren’t open enough. Cade sucks something awful! He can’t see the field. We ran the #### p/a lob pass for briningstool against Kentucky, he was WIDE OPEN and Cade didn’t even think about throwing it even though that was the play. The kid not only sucks, he does is own rogue thing out there. Multiple times last year he ran the wrong play in big moments. Why do we have to waste another year before our dumb fans realize he sucks???? Anybody that thinks Cade is good or can be good obviously doesn’t know anything about football

May 20, 2024, 7:02 AM

I don't think we have any idea at this stage whether he will be a good QB. This season we can truly gauge who he is. Nobody knows yet. We will know by the 4th game or so.

May 21, 2024, 7:06 AM

???? Speak for yourself. I have an idea for sure….. anybody that recognizes talent can see he doesn’t have it. Mostly mentally. He’s inconsistent in every aspect of the game to the point where on every play he has so many things he has to do right and it’s almost not possible for him. He has to make the right read and deliver the ball. He can’t do it

May 21, 2024, 8:13 AM

I like you!

Wouldn't it be a better question to ask...

May 19, 2024, 9:45 PM

Is Riley (or anyone else on the coaching staff) have the ability to coach up the quarterbacks we have on the roster to get the most of their potential out at gametime? Do we have a legit QBs coach at Clemson?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 9:56 PM

The riley hire had me excited honestly. After last year I felt the scheme looked worse than it did under Streeter. At least Streeter got creative in the running game. Looking into TCU and SMU under Riley the passing games were not dynamic but ultra efficient. Duggan had similar #s to Klubnik minus the turnovers. Clemson did not have the horses to win the race with a conservative offense last year. It's an uphill battle vs UGA who can line up and go 1 to 1 on the wrs and TEs and stack the box. That's what UGA does they put their athletes vs your athletes and dare you to get the ball to them while their front 7 wreaks havoc on your QB and RB. You have to have the dogs in the kennel to beat that style of defense. Every team that has beaten Clemson the past 3 years played pretty #### similar. DJ had a #### of a time throwing to guys before they finished a route and Cade has been too quick to throw at times but it definitely comes back down to lacking well coached athletes at wr. Moore, Wesco, Williams, and Brown have got to be the dudes we fans believe they are or it's going to be a long season.

null

If your banking on freshman putting up consistent numbers

May 21, 2024, 8:33 AM

Then you will be disappointed. They hardly ever do. Every once in a while you’ll get a Sammy Watkins but not often.

May 20, 2024, 8:23 AM

I think it all hinges on Matt Luke's OL. If they give Cade time, the Offense shines.

Garret Riley's offense is so boring that UGA made it look Big12

May 20, 2024, 8:36 AM

in the national title game two years ago

Re: Garret Riley's offense is so boring that UGA made it look Big12

May 21, 2024, 7:28 AM

Again the star RB was out with injury and the QB had been injured in those last two battles...without a 2000 yd runner your team would stink too! That's why a team with balance has a huge advantage...every time you make a turn on the P38 the can opens a little!

We aren't running Riley's offense...

May 21, 2024, 12:22 PM

According to Dabo, Garrett Riley was going to come in and “learn the Clemson offense”.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 12:30 PM

No...Garrett Riley has shown me nothing since becoming offensive coordinator. His $2.5 million dollar salary has gone unjustified thus far

Hopefully that changes this upcoming season

Replies: 41
| visibility 2900
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic