Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Coach D!ck Barnes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Dear Coach D!ck Barnes

Mar 19, 2010, 10:22 AM

You couldn't handle Wake Forest when you were in the ACC. Nice to see you haven't changed. You still can't. Enjoy your early offseason.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you mean R!ck, right. I don't remember a #### barnes***

Mar 19, 2010, 10:25 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

It is an adjective not a name

Mar 19, 2010, 10:29 AM

Same guy

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is an adjective not a name

Mar 19, 2010, 11:07 AM

real classy stuff there guy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is an adjective not a name

Mar 19, 2010, 11:09 AM

74TIGER has never exactly been the source of class or useful postings here on TigerNet

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it was pretty funny....as well as appropriate

Mar 19, 2010, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: It is an adjective not a name ]

Let me guess, youre also one of those, ooooh I love womens hoops! Look at this great commit we just got.

agree

Mar 19, 2010, 11:10 AM

its a sports message board, not an etiquette class. Why does everything have to be classy?

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

What would Rick say in reply? (link)

Mar 19, 2010, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: It is an adjective not a name ]

Here he is in a recent interview regarding his time at Clemson. Has some pretty nice things to say actually ... worth a listen.

http://chodecircus.com/area51/

I always think he liked Clemson but.....

Mar 19, 2010, 11:24 AM

....there was that problem w/ the kids schools. (rolls eyes)

If he wanted to leave fine. Just don't put it off on a stupid utterance like that. This is a guy who works with the media all the time. He could have said something plausible. That was the worst part of the departure.

Agree 100%. He should've told the truth and said...

Mar 19, 2010, 11:30 AM

"I'm scared that I will never be able to win the ACC with the likes of Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest."

null

or....

Mar 19, 2010, 12:39 PM

if I don't leave my wife will divorce me and tall all my friggin money with her.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I always think he liked Clemson but.....

Mar 19, 2010, 11:31 AM [ in reply to I always think he liked Clemson but..... ]

Does anyone remember what schools his kids went to?

RIck mentions the school in the linked interview.

Mar 19, 2010, 11:34 AM

I think he's really trying to make amends with Clemsohn fans.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess he thought that was better than the truth

Mar 19, 2010, 12:20 PM [ in reply to I always think he liked Clemson but..... ]

and a whole lot less embarrassing for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ check meter***

Mar 19, 2010, 11:30 AM [ in reply to It is an adjective not a name ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

What's the use of getting mad because he left?

Mar 19, 2010, 11:27 AM

He was an awesome coach for us and provided us with the best basketball memories of the last 20 years.

I think we should act like we have been there before and not freak out at a coach that wanted to go elsewhere. It happens.

Re: What's the use of getting mad because he left?

Mar 19, 2010, 11:36 AM

It's not THAT he left; it's HOW he left.

I don't think HOW he left is that big of a deal either.

Mar 19, 2010, 12:24 PM

We wanted him to stay, and were hurt that he left. Our basketball program went to sh*t after he left and stayed that way for 10 years and so the wound festered.

So he dissed South Carolina education... even if that wasn't honest, neither am I when I skip a wedding for Clemson game, or if I take a sick day that I really didn't have to. I just think it makes us look small to hate a guy that we loved right before he bailed to Texas. Alright, so he could have handled it better, but thats no reason to judge the guy. What some people want him to "admit" is unrealistic to expect. Why would he say that if he didn't have to?

It makes people look stupid...

Mar 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

to keep defending him because he "stood up to Dean Smith" when he didn't recruit and he didn't coach all that well. What EXACTLY did he accomplish while he was at Clemson? Did he build a foundation for a winning program? I would think that when people had the advantage of hindsight, they'd see that he really didn't do all that great a job.

Ok results speak louder to me than anything else.

Mar 19, 2010, 12:43 PM

Tommy Bowden built and recruited and where did that get us?... on the good side of mediocrity. Rick Barnes won games and took us to the sweet 16. He was a fighter who squeezed every ounce of talent out of his players. If you ignore the results, then what Barnes did wasn't really that great ... but I think it would be foolish to do that.

Results?...

Mar 19, 2010, 1:00 PM

Rick Barnes went 5-11, 7-9, 9-7, and 7-9 in the ACC. And this at a time when it really WAS "down". I'm sorry, I just don't see what he did that was so great. Get all jazzed about his "standing up" to the ACC if you want; he was all flash and no substance. He recruited maybe a half-dozen decent players, and really ONE that amounted to much in the pros, but he recruited a bunch of guys that couldn't play and didn't stay out of trouble.

I would rather go 9-7 in the ACC and win in the big Dance.

Mar 19, 2010, 1:09 PM

Didn't he have a good ACC tourney record too? And he recruited my favorite players we ever had. Harold Jamison, Tom Wideman, Terrel McIntyre, Iker Iturbe... those guys were ballers. I absolutely loved watching them fight as hard as they did. You can diss Barnes all you want, I never said he was a savior or anything, but that team played with fight. They gave everything and were a good tournament team. Our best basketball memories over the last 20 years came when he was our coach. Don't blind yourself into not being able to admit ANYTHING positive about him.

Re: What's the use of getting mad because he left?

Mar 19, 2010, 11:37 AM [ in reply to What's the use of getting mad because he left? ]

I for one am not mad at him for leaving CU but there is no way you can say he did it with class. Even his wife got into the classless opportunity to downgrade CU and the state of SC with her degrading the high schools her kids attended. She lacked the guts to say the real reason she wanted to leave. Mainly she could not compete with CU coeds.

No sin in that. It's tough to compete with Clemson gals!***

Mar 19, 2010, 11:38 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truer words have never been spoken***

Mar 19, 2010, 11:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Truer words have never been spoken***

Mar 19, 2010, 11:59 AM

Regardless of what you may say about coach Barnes that is negative, you haven't been a Clemson fan very long if you don't appreciate the way he stood up to Dean Smith. He will always be one of my favorite coaches because of that. He did that FOR CLEMSON and I, for one, appreciate it.

There are a lot of good looking girls in Austin too

Mar 19, 2010, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: What's the use of getting mad because he left? ]

and a lot more of them.

Because he spent a whole season lying to us...

Mar 19, 2010, 12:05 PM [ in reply to What's the use of getting mad because he left? ]

telling us about all the great things he was going to do the next year when that wasn't in his plans at all. His statement about having to "get out of Clemson because of the schools" proves that he had NO intention of staying at Clemson after the 97-98 season. By the way, his kids went to Edwards and were in line to go to Daniel, which is a fine school. If the schools in the Clemson area were REALLY the issue, he could have moved to Greenville county or sent them to a private school, but no, he up and left for Texas. His 4 years are nothing like what Oliver Purnell has done (as long as Clemson finally wins a game in the NCAA Tournament), but Rick Barnes' recruiting sucked his last two years at Clemson. I don't care that he "stood up to Dean Smith", he was a terrible coach. I hope he loses every game he coaches.

Took a lot of air out of his balloon when he got to

Mar 19, 2010, 12:08 PM

UT and found out Austin's schools were nationally ranked lower than Pickens Co schools

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don't you tell him the REAL reason Barnes left Clemson***

Mar 19, 2010, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Because he spent a whole season lying to us... ]

I don't care about the REAL reason...

Mar 19, 2010, 12:27 PM

All I know is that he spent a whole season lying to us. But if you're going to have an affair with one of your players' girlfriends, don't pick the 6'10" guy.

Sometimes T-Net acts like a Nancy Grace support group.

Mar 19, 2010, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Why don't you tell him the REAL reason Barnes left Clemson*** ]

Do you really expect someone to come out and talk about that in public if they don't have to? People love judging others so much more than they enjoy at least trying to understand someone else's angle.

The bottom line is Rick left Clemson for one reason....

Mar 19, 2010, 12:37 PM

and one reason only and that reason didn't have anything to do with Pickens County public school or the University of Texas.

Because he couldn't get a good beef brisket in the state?***

Mar 19, 2010, 12:38 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was getting it...just not at home***

Mar 19, 2010, 12:40 PM

Absolutely not.....

Mar 19, 2010, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Because he couldn't get a good beef brisket in the state?*** ]

It was because he couldn't find any of that nasty vinegar based, Eastern NC barbeque in the Upstate......:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haha***

Mar 19, 2010, 12:47 PM

So what did you want him to do? Have a press conference

Mar 19, 2010, 12:47 PM [ in reply to The bottom line is Rick left Clemson for one reason.... ]

about it? Meet you for dinner and tell you the truth personally? I mean... I love Clemson as much as anyone else... but I am just not mad at the guy. What I wanted was a coach that won games and brought excitment to the program... he did that. He left, and he handled it poorly, and he had personal issues that may have made him go to Texas... but they paid him more right? He's doing fine for himself now right? We should just move on and shut up about Barnes.

I'm not mad at Barnes either....

Mar 19, 2010, 1:04 PM

and although we had to take a few steps back to utlimately move forward, I like OP much better and I firmly believe the program is in much better hands and in much better condition than it ever was under Barnes.

I agree with that.***

Mar 19, 2010, 1:14 PM

who is mad?

Mar 19, 2010, 12:07 PM [ in reply to What's the use of getting mad because he left? ]

still can't beat Wake. Handled departure poorly.

I liked him getting in Deans face eyears ago but I prefer where we are now. And he still can't beat Wake (that is a fact).

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic