Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm a student, and I didn't go to the UVA game....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

I'm a student, and I didn't go to the UVA game....

Feb 17, 2014, 5:47 PM

I went to all the games as a freshman and sophomore, but have just been less into it the last two years. Sure the seats are free, but if you show up at game time you get the upper deck seats in the ends of littlejohn, and I'd much rather watch on TV with a well stocked fridge than sit up there....

Call me a bad fan, but not every student is into basketball, plus none of my friends go to the games so I have no desire to go.

Anyhow, I'm just one out of 20,000 or so, and I'm unsure what has caused the noticeable drop in the last few years other than there being little hype around the team. I'm a much larger fan of brownell than purnell, but it's hard to argue the fact that purnell did bring some excitement to the games, made them fun to watch in person for sure. So basically while their records may be the same soon, the type of play can certainly dictate when people show up.

And I forget who was comparing the UVA game to our football games, but really?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I can help...

Feb 17, 2014, 5:55 PM

Problem: "if you show up at game time you get the upper deck seats in the ends of littlejohn"
Solution: Get better seats ahead of time

Problem: "none of my friends go to the games so I have no desire to go"
Solution: Get new friends, or go to games by yourself...I simply cannot buy the argument that you can't get a single one of your friends to go to a big ACC matchup with you

Problem: "it's hard to argue the fact that purnell did bring some excitement to the games, made them fun to watch in person for sure"
Solution: This is less of a solution and more of a comment, but I attended Clemson during the Shyatt days and I still attended the games. Most of which we had no shot at winning, but it was more about supporting my fellow students giving it their all on the basketball court.

Look, you have an opportunity to go to see ACC basketball for free in Clemson. Eventually you will really miss that opportunity and you will really miss your days at Clemson. Don't let these games pass by just because your friends aren't there. You have a small window in life to be a college student, don't miss out on it.

/rant

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Bro, that was hot, bro.

Feb 17, 2014, 6:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think I can help...

Feb 17, 2014, 7:38 PM [ in reply to I think I can help... ]

"Get better seats ahead of time"
Unless you get floor, your view will be obstructed as a student. And to get floor, you have to waste a lot of time waiting outside of Littlejohn. And on top of that, floor seats behind the basket still suck.

My only bone to pick here

Re: I think I can help...

Feb 18, 2014, 11:17 AM

Wasting time? what else do you have to do?

Play video games or go to frat meeting LOL

People aren't showing up in droves, so getting a good seat

Feb 18, 2014, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I think I can help... ]

does not require showing up ridiculously early - just early. I really don't think this is an issue.

Maybe you are sincere, but I hope you set this same

Feb 18, 2014, 8:19 AM [ in reply to I think I can help... ]

high moral bar for yourself when it was time to go to women's rowing or any of the tennis matches. I did things a certain way at Clemson, but to each his own.

"Solution: This is less of a solution and more of a comment, but I attended Clemson during the Shyatt days and I still attended the games. Most of which we had no shot at winning, but it was more about supporting my fellow students giving it their all on the basketball court."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Seriously? You're comparing a major sport to rowing/tennis?

Feb 18, 2014, 8:28 AM

The following are in importance of attendance:

1. Football
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Soccer
5. Tennis
6. Everything else

The crowd really can have any effect on the game in Football & Basketball...occasionally Baseball...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Seriously? You're comparing a major sport to rowing/tennis?

Feb 18, 2014, 1:02 PM

1) Football
2A) Basketball
2B) Baseball
3) Clemson women
4) Everything else

glad you included tennis

Feb 18, 2014, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Seriously? You're comparing a major sport to rowing/tennis? ]

come schools get s many as 800 out to tennis with is a good amount

Maybe you are sincere, but I hope you are not

Feb 18, 2014, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Maybe you are sincere, but I hope you set this same ]

really comparing a huge ACC men's basketball matchup with NCAA Tournament implications to women's rowing.

However, even though I don't know you, I'm going to guess I have attended more Clemson women's rowing events than you have. I will be the first to tell you that I did not attend many tennis matches (I went to a few) but I attended most of the indoor and outdoor track events as well. If you'd like I can put together a resume and shoot it over to you detailing my sports attendance. I can also provide some references if you'd like.

All I would ask from you in advance is for you to point out where I said anything about morals. Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

you had me at

Feb 18, 2014, 12:06 PM

the shyatt days

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Why not just go?

Feb 17, 2014, 6:00 PM

I know there's this whole mindset these days that people would rather just watch the games than go to them, but for me at least half the fun was the feeling that, as a loud fan, you were helping the team. If you're there, you're participating in, if even in the smallest way.

Now, if you have to pay for tickets or drive long distances, then that justifies not going to many games. But if you get free tickets and can easily walk to see your team possibly get a win against a ranked team, then why wouldn't you do that?

Also, what's this "not into basketball" stuff? Do you think all the girls at the football games are into college football? I can tell you that they're not, but they go to the games because everybody else goes to support the team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why not just go?

Feb 17, 2014, 6:10 PM

Im not even a student but if i was i would be attending bball games left and right. We have a decent team and playing in one of the best conferences in the country, that alone makes it exciting. I love Clemson Sports so i try and go to as many as i can as you should to. Go Tigers!!!!

Man I clearly remember all of those exciting games

Feb 17, 2014, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Why not just go? ]

I watched on my couch when I was a student. It really helped define my Clemson experience.

Remember sitting on the couch for that VT game in '05?

Feb 17, 2014, 6:51 PM

When Olu hit that three and Sharrod Ford dunked the ball for the win after Shawan Robinson stole the pass?

I don't either, because I was at the game cheering my ### off.

Fun fact: that team was 15- 13 and 5- 10 in the ACC, and the VT team we were playing was 14-12 and 7-8 in the ACC. This year's Clemson team is much better, but I remember Littlejohn being pretty full for that game.

I don't even remember watching Solomon

Feb 17, 2014, 6:54 PM

Chuck it from everywhere on the court in a losing effort, or Allensbach bricking a dunk under the basket from my couch. #LarryShyattearfan

This times 100. Man we had some exciting games with VT

Feb 18, 2014, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Remember sitting on the couch for that VT game in '05? ]

in the 2004-2008 timeframe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Man I clearly remember all of those exciting games

Feb 18, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Man I clearly remember all of those exciting games ]

Having been to well over 50 basketball games as a student, I like them but they sure haven't defined my Clemson experience. There are people who go to Clemson who don't go to basketball games, you do realize this right? I'm sure the 19,000 students who don't go to the games have horrible Clemson experiences, if only they knew...

Message was edited by: aclemfan48®

Best thing about watching from the couch

Feb 18, 2014, 11:09 AM

Is you get to same Clemson experience I do in Texas. That must be awesome.

Re: Best thing about watching from the couch

Feb 18, 2014, 11:20 AM

I know, isn't TV a great invention?

I was a student during the Purnell days, and attendance was

Feb 17, 2014, 6:16 PM

only really great when we were winning. It wasn't until we cracked the top-25 that getting tickets and decent seats became a problem. Even when we were good, non-conference games and most weekday games still had empty seats.

I don't put the blame on the students for not going to the games. It's the athletic department's responsibility to put out a desirable product that creates a buzz around campus and to find ways to get students to attend the games. The basketball games right now just aren't seen as exciting.

If a restaurant had a free food promotion and people still didn't go, you wouldn't blame the customers...you'd blame the restaurant, their advertising plan, and what they're serving. Similarly, it's up to the athletic department
to do a better job of getting students in the seats.

The advertising of the games leaves something to be desired

Feb 17, 2014, 6:19 PM

However, I don't know how you can say that the games aren't exciting. We just came within 5 points of beating a top 25 team from our conference in a game that featured a bunch of lead changes. In our last home game, we won in a close one, while we lost in double- OT in our last road game. To me, those are exciting games even if we're not scoring 100 points.

I'm not saying the games aren't exciting for me...

Feb 17, 2014, 6:22 PM

I've watched every game this year...even the games like Delaware State and Coastal Carolina. I love Clemson basketball as much as anyone.

However, for people who weren't Clemson basketball fans before they got to Clemson (which is probably over 95% of students), you have to make them fans before they'll attend. It's up to the school and athletic department to make that happen. It's not just going to happen on it's own.

I guess, for me, it was more about being a Clemson fan

Feb 17, 2014, 6:37 PM

I was never a huge college sports fan before I went to Clemson, as I came from the DC area where most are more into pro sports. However, once I got to Clemson, being a sports fan in general, my attendance became more about just supporting Clemson. In short, I was (and still pretty much am) a Clemson fanatic. Maybe people like me are the exceptions to the rule, but I'd still like to think people would come out to watch Clemson basketball because they're Clemson fans, whether or not they're "Clemson basketball fans." It never really occurred to me that you could be a Clemson fan and not be a Clemson basketball fan.

Re: I guess, for me, it was more about being a Clemson fan

Feb 18, 2014, 11:07 AM

good point, in all honesty I try to make it to games when I can but between working weekends and senior design I just haven't had a desire to this year, although I still watch every game I can because I love to support Clemson. I was just trying to give the other side of the argument as to why some do not want to come.

So...you were lying in the original post

Feb 18, 2014, 11:19 AM

I'm confused. Do you not attend because you are too lazy to get off the couch or do you not attend because you are too busy? Also, I'm sure the team appreciates the support you are providing by creating a hostile road environment in your living room.

Re: So...you were lying in the original post

Feb 18, 2014, 11:24 AM

Technically I couldn't attend Saturday due to work, but there are other games I have watched on tv this year as well that I wasn't working.

Anyhow, I'm sure the empty lower level donor seats are helping create that hostile environment too, all I'm trying to say is I'm not crazy into going to see every basketball game, as I know probably 70-80% of students aren't as well.

Ehhh

Feb 17, 2014, 6:25 PM [ in reply to I was a student during the Purnell days, and attendance was ]

I mean I was there under Purnell when we were terrible and the goal was to screw up someone else's season and by the end we were a top 25 team and competed for the ACC Championship. At the beginning, yeah it wasn't hard to get tickets. Most games freshmen year we'd get there about an hour ahead of time and have floor seats but by tip off the lower levels were full for ACC games and Big 10 and SC games. By the end, we were having to camp out for tickets.

I hate students not showing up for games and not being there at least 10-15 min early. And this weekend was horrible. Saturday game, students got in there and filled up the lower bowl, but with the exception of about 25 rows students sat the entire game. Sadly this wasn't an outlier but has become more of a norm. I don't agree with the argument of the students not having good seats, but I can understand it. The funny thing is our upper deck seats, are still about the same or closer than a lot of our ACC brethren with arenas that have 5-10k more seats.

I always liked basketball, not as much as football, but a lot so it never was a decision for me to go. But we did our part as a class. Students have just gotten lazy, disinterested, and look for an excuse to not go and be into the game. Sadly I don't see it getting better in the next couple years as these new freshmen come in and see how basketball games are and repeat the status quo. Another reason why it has dropped off so much the last 2-3 years

I remember the 17-0 run, went to all of them and it was

Feb 18, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to I was a student during the Purnell days, and attendance was ]

exponential growth of stadium attendance.

Must've been no more than 100-200 students for the first 10 games.

Re: I remember the 17-0 run, went to all of them and it was

Feb 18, 2014, 9:51 AM

Then you must remember the exponential decay in attendance in the next 14 games when we went 4-10 and missed the NCAA tourney. Worst collapse in history.

Live it up my friend and go to all the games while you can.

Feb 17, 2014, 6:37 PM

One day you will be a part of us working folks who'd give anything to go back to college and attend those games as a student. Youve got your entire life to sit on the couch and watch games. Trust me, It goes by way too fast! Enjoy it while you can.

Re: I'm a student, and I didn't go to the UVA game....

Feb 17, 2014, 6:39 PM

So go find yourself one of those Tiger beauties and invite her to the game followed by some libation at wherever! That's how ya get.............

Feb 17, 2014, 6:46 PM

That's just pitiful son. I am embarrassed for you and your fellow students. Clemson is Clemson whether football or basketball. It's a major revenue sport. You should go if you have any school spirit at all. Looks like our student body has become a bunch of geeks. Pathetic.

I'm happy your best solution is to come onto a message

Feb 18, 2014, 11:11 AM

board, and call someone you have never met a no school spirit, pathetic geek. There were posts and posts about how poor attendance was, I give a reasonable answer to how a lot of students I know view the situation right now, and that's what I get from you I suppose. Thanks for your insightful comment

Be a LEADER and get your friends to the games.***

Feb 17, 2014, 6:49 PM

Well, la di freakin dah***

Feb 17, 2014, 11:17 PM

Feb 18, 2014, 1:22 AM

When I was a student at Clemson I was in my late twenties and a combat veteran. I had like 5 friends, and none of them went to the games. I stuck out like a sore thumb among the 18-22 year old fresh faced kids in the student section. I didn't whine and cry about it, I went to the games and when I left my voice was gone. I graduated last May. Basketball wasn't exactly exciting the whole time I was a student, but you had better #### well believe I was going to do my part to bring a victory to our school.

In short, athletic glory is bigger than your immediate needs of a cold drink and a good seat. That is the kind of crap you worry about when you are in your golden years. You are young, get to the game and do your part to bring glory to Clemson athletics, or you are going to regret all the good times you missed out on for silly reasons when you get older.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, you're a bad fan.

Feb 18, 2014, 8:31 AM

But at least you admit to it.

Re: Yup, you're a bad fan.

Feb 18, 2014, 11:18 AM

I follow the ins and outs of the basketball team, check out my topics and replies in the last month. If I have to work, I listen to the game on the radio, if its an away game, I'll find a way to watch it even if its and online stream, and I'm a bad fan? I'm constantly checking updates on here, follow the team on twitter, etc. I just would rather watch the games on tv sometimes, and I've been to 5 or 6 games this year. I like to think some people would appreciate the time I spend following the team, but I guess I'm just a bad fan.

And I'm ready for the, well if you're so great than go to the games answer, simply I haven't enjoyed the last few times I've gone, would you do something twice a week if you didn't want to?

Allow me to quote you.

Feb 18, 2014, 2:16 PM

"Call me a bad fan" -aclemfan48

;)

so this is how the media works..... haha***

Feb 18, 2014, 4:01 PM

Freaking ridiculous

Feb 18, 2014, 2:00 PM

I understand that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't get this

I graduated in May, and I made a point to make it to EVERY SINGLE BASKETBALL GAME that wasn't over break

My junior and senior years, only 1 of my friends was as into them as I was, yet we met up at the stadium to line up an hour before game time or rode over together if we were at home. If I couldn't make it, he would go alone. If he couldn't make it, I would go alone. Keep in mind that those last two seasons have been the most frustrating for Clemson basketball in the last 10 years.

Didn't matter to us one bit, I wouldn't be caught dead at home as a student with nothing to do if I could have been there in person.

Now, looking back, I am so thankful that I did make it to as many games as I did in my time at Clemson. This season, I have hardly been able to catch any games on television due to having to work, and if still hoping I can make it up from Atlanta for one game before the year is over (hopefully the Maryland game)

So I don't want to hear your excuses. If you are a student and aren't going to the games so you can drink and watch them on television, then get the h3ll off Tigernet. Don't come over here trying to defend yourself to thousands of true fans that would kill to be in your shoes.

Re: Freaking ridiculous

Feb 18, 2014, 4:14 PM

This may be the first time ever in the history of my time on tigernet (since 09) that some of these replies are really starting to bother me. I love to come on here and talk sports, and to just see what everyone else is saying. I follow the basketball team very closely, make topics about what I think could help them, and try to watch every game if I can.

Anyhow, after the past game there were a ton of posts about poor student attendance, so I went ahead and made a post about why I thought this may be so. I'm not making excuses, because I don't feel bad about not going because it isn't something that I'm into anymore. I wanted to start a thread to get a discussion going about what may be done to get more students to come from the similar point of view I have towards attending, and instead close-minded people like you tell me to get the hell off of tigernet? Talk about hiding behind a keyboard.

Not everyone is into going to the games, otherwise 100,000 people from the area would be knocking down the doors, and being a student doesn't change what interests me day in and day out. My goal wasn't to defend myself, but I've had to because of people like you who "understand everyone is entitled to an opinion" but then go right against it.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic