Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We've all heard that The Swinney's and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

We've all heard that The Swinney's and

Nov 23, 2018, 8:36 AM

Spurrier's were close, especially Jeri Spurrier and Kathleen Swinney, but an article I read the other day shows they were much closer than I knew. Apparently Mrs. Spurrier was a big help to Kathleen in learning to adjust to being the head coach's wife. I have some of the quotes from the article below and a link to article at bottom.

From Kathleen:
“I know it’s a rivalry but Jerri has been the sweetest friend to Dabo and I,” Kathleen said. “Jerri has been a sweet coach’s wife and mentor to me. I really cherish some of the lessons she has been able to teach me as a young coach’s wife.”

“Early on here I was stressed about having to go to more things and having to travel. I used to just hate to leave the boys and things like that, but she talked to me about that,” Kathleen recalled. “She just said, ‘You know Kathleen, you’re so involved in your kids’ lives, it’s OK for you to have to leave them for a night here and there.’ A lot of times there would be events or coaches meetings I needed to go to with Dabo. ... She said, ‘Other people can help you with your boys, but you’re the only one who can be a wife to your husband.’ ”

“I just love to hear the advice. I really take it to heart. She just couldn’t be sweeter to Dabo and I. She hugs him when she sees him and just loves on us like we’re her children. It’s been a really, really sweet relationship,” Kathleen said. “One day I went to my mailbox a couple of weeks before the South Carolina-Clemson game and she had sent me a little orange purse with a note that said, ‘I saw this and thought of you.’ She just does some really, really sweet things. And we have developed a sweet relationship with them. Gamecocks and Clemson fans don’t want to think that, but off the field it’s really something that we’re very appreciative of.”

From Jeri Spurrier:
“She’s something special. She’s an unbelievable, wonderful lady. I’ve always considered her a friend. How can she not be? She’s just a special person that always smiles. She’s just neat. She’s just wonderful,” Jerri said, adding that she also appreciates her relationship with Dabo.

“I’m going to get myself in trouble but he’s just a special man to me, and he knows I feel that way.”

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article222013260.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: We've all heard that The Swinney's and

Nov 23, 2018, 8:44 AM

I think so many fans could take a lesson from the coaches and their wives on this one. It is a game, one we all love but still just a game. Trash talking is fine, just don't let it ruin your life or someone else's.

I didn't notice much about the new coach and their relationship. It might be something we need to send Muschamp and his family. ;)

Nov 24, 2018, 12:12 PM

I wonder how it now goes with the Muschsamps? One of the most classless things I've ever heard any coach say was early on when Muschamp told Dabo at some social event, "i think your wife was coming on to me."

Even in jest between close friends, you don't say that where mikes and cameras are running. If the friendship hasn't developed yet, it's asking for a beatdown of epic proportions.

Dabo's response: "oh, she's just like that to everybody. She is just a warm and friendly person." He praised his wife, responded to the rival that he isn't special like he thinks, demonstrated trust in his partner--and got ready to throw the first shovel load of dirt on Muschamp's SC coffin. 56-7.

I wonder if Mus and his wife have made any effort to build a friendship that could gain him some mercy on the field.

What's this have to do with Moosecramps?

Nov 23, 2018, 5:14 PM

Asking for a friend

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Read -- thanks for sharin'

Nov 23, 2018, 5:55 PM

My long time friend & fishing partner was a "diehard" Gamecock fan ( 3 of his kids, graduated from South Carolina ) __ when he passed, it was a very bad time for me* - I even bought his boat, from his wife and every time I went fishing, I would look upward and say let's go fishing "Ol Friend"" __ don't fish anymore,but my golfing buddy is __ you guessed it __ a "diehard" Gamecock fan !!! I do have many Clemson friends,but I guess what I'm saying _______ It's just a game !!!

Wishing all my Tiger Family a safe trip up & hope to see ya;__ after we whoop them chickens !!!!

GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Great Read -- thanks for sharin'

Nov 24, 2018, 12:33 AM

Well said big monk. At the end of the day it is just a game. It not life or death. Many of my friends are Gamecock fans. We love to talk trash but we all realize it’s just a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Read -- thanks for sharin'

Nov 24, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Great Read -- thanks for sharin' ]

It was always just a game until they won 3 in a row, it didn't take 5 in a row for them to take it way beyond a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2018, 12:34 AM

Nice article I am glad you shared it with Tigernet. Thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2018, 11:06 AM

My friend that I grew up with down the street, played ball, and lifted weights with son kicks off for
Carolina. He transferred from a school in Tennessee and is a walk on. I saw my friend in I a store
with a Carolina shirt and asked what was the deal. He said I will always support my son.
He has always been a Clemson fan and his dad graduated from Clemson. It is only a game.Put
your game face on but in the end we are all just family and freinds.

Great article. Jerri deserves a gold medal for putting up with SOS

Nov 24, 2018, 11:29 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigers don't like to admit it, but obs made dabo a better hc

Nov 24, 2018, 11:38 AM

spurrier outcoached him for most of their 5peat, but dabo learned.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: Tigers don't like to admit it, but obs made dabo a better hc

Nov 24, 2018, 11:54 AM

This.

After our talent level caught and surpassed theirs, he still beat us twice more. So it's not just about talent, and preparation; it's primarily about execution.

Just curious: wanna explain 'obs'? I've heard HBC and obc but not obs.

Re: Tigers don't like to admit it, but obs made dabo a better hc

Nov 24, 2018, 12:12 PM

Ball Sack

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 24, 2018, 1:59 PM

Thanks to all you guys for making this POTD!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic