Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KY is all that is wrong with college basketball IMO
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

KY is all that is wrong with college basketball IMO

Apr 5, 2014, 10:57 PM

6 of their current players are freshman that were 5 star recruits last year.

It seems like it would be annoying as a fan to cheer for all new players every year.

But I guess all the wins and titles are all anyone cares about.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KY is all that is wrong with college basketball IMO

Apr 5, 2014, 10:59 PM

almost all. the academic fraud carp UNC got away with is pretty bad too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I don't see how this can go on without

Apr 5, 2014, 11:06 PM

Some type of sleazy activity. I get that Calipari sells them on how many NBA picks he's coached but I still don't think that explains how they get this many 5 stars from all over the US EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

none from their state***

Apr 5, 2014, 11:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reputation***

Apr 5, 2014, 11:15 PM [ in reply to I guess I don't see how this can go on without ]

Basketball and football recruiting are different...

Apr 6, 2014, 12:42 AM [ in reply to I guess I don't see how this can go on without ]

With all of the AAU stuff, ball is pretty much a national deal with recruiting. Most of the top programs nationally recruit. kY doesn't have many quality ball players so having a 5 star guy is unlikely.

AT&T he end of the day though, KY is about as good a program there is and with Cal's prestige it makes perfect sense why they get the players.

Do you sit around and owner how Saban gets so many high level kids? Probably not bc the answer is obvious.

aren't you spose to have some kind of graduation rate

Apr 5, 2014, 11:15 PM

now a days to avoid some kind of sanctions

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there is I bet those white boys on the end of the bench

Apr 5, 2014, 11:19 PM

are straight A students

Re: aren't you spose to have some kind of graduation rate

Apr 5, 2014, 11:20 PM [ in reply to aren't you spose to have some kind of graduation rate ]

only for schools not farm teams

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Calipari is the Lou Holtz of college basketball...

Apr 5, 2014, 11:16 PM

He has left a nice NCAA inquiry present at every school he coached.

Re: Both are as sleazy as they come.***

Apr 5, 2014, 11:36 PM

^This***

Apr 6, 2014, 12:12 AM

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

they are Kentucky.

Apr 5, 2014, 11:16 PM

It is like being Alabama in football, you get who you want.

well they both

Apr 5, 2014, 11:50 PM

have a history of cheating too.

they are Kentucky.

Apr 5, 2014, 11:19 PM

It is like being Alabama in football, you get who you want.

I dont understand why players want to play there

Apr 5, 2014, 11:23 PM

Your name is quickly forgotten amongst other kentucky greats. You are just a revolving door.

They're only worried about getting the NBA and getting that

Apr 5, 2014, 11:43 PM

"Paper"

They want to play there bc Calipari....

Apr 6, 2014, 12:36 AM [ in reply to I dont understand why players want to play there ]

Is. Great coach to play for. UK provides a platform for kids to get more exposure and hype. Cal is known as a NBA minded guy who gets the most out of you in a short time.

His players absolutely love him and playing college ball at UK is about as good as you can get.

If your name is quickly forgotten at UK then why do any recruits go to any successful schools. Should 5 star football recruits start groin to Wake Forest so that they can make a name for themselves....they'll be just another another forgotten name at good schools.

The Real Question Is

Apr 6, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to I dont understand why players want to play there ]

why the NBA continues to tolerate a system of allowing one and done players to dilute their product. Why not let the college game develop players at no cost to the NBA?

Yea

Apr 5, 2014, 11:38 PM

And can we pay these players yet!?

100% graduation rate for KY--here's how

Apr 5, 2014, 11:47 PM

"Calipari’s success at Kentucky has been remarkable, both athletically and academically. Despite the mocking comments of the Twits, very few schools do better at graduating players over four years; and even though those who opt for NBA early entry aren’t counted among them, they don’t count against either. Therefore, as far as the NCAA is concerned, Kentucky has had a 100% graduation rate of counters."

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/4/30/4285734/kentucky-basketball-john-calipari-touts-100-graduation-rate-correctly

Everything that is wrong with college basketball is correct.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Heard some stories from a different hard Kentucky fan and their program

Is extremely dirty. In the same ballpark with UNC.

DIE-HARD***

Coach Cal said...

Apr 5, 2014, 11:52 PM

That if players had to stay in school, he would have all stars John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, and Anthony Davis on this years team. You think he wouldn't want that? Respect that man

U tell 'em, cOOt***

Apr 6, 2014, 12:15 AM

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Re: Coach Cal said...

Apr 6, 2014, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Coach Cal said... ]

The fact he said it doesn't mean it's correct.

Calipari: You be the judge

Apr 6, 2014, 12:16 AM

"Calipari has officially been to 3 Final Fours, all three with Kentucky (2011, 2012, 2014). He had previously led UMass in 1996 and Memphis in 2008 to the Final Four, but those appearances were later vacated. Consequently, Calipari is the only head coach to have Final Four appearances vacated at more than one school, although Calipari himself was not personally implicated by the NCAA in either case."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calipari

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

You left out the three in stripes they usually get to 'play'***

Apr 6, 2014, 12:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a diehard UK fan...

Apr 6, 2014, 12:50 AM

And can answer your question.

It is annoying at times to try and fall in love with a new team each year but you eventually do love the team. This team was a little hard until tourney time though.

I'm used to it by now , I wish kids would stick around more but if you're going to be a lottery pick then I can't blame a kid for choosing to make millions over getting 30 more credit hours towards his sociology degree

Some guys like Daniel Orten and marquis Teague should've stayed but they rode that hype to the draft.

And yes, people do care about wins and titles. That why we follow the games. We don't get involved to watch guys go to class. We want them to get their degrees obviously but if they r good enough to go pro then that is completely understandable.

If Clemson could recruit and win like this with all freshman and won a title...then a bunch of guys leave......we would take it. Some would cry about it but all would love a tourney run like this.

Re: I am a diehard UK fan...

Apr 6, 2014, 9:32 AM

And that is the simple truth. At the end of the day, and at the end of the season, most of the fans only care about the Ws. To many Ls only turn them against the coach and the kids that are representing their school. It didn't just get this way, its always been that way. The only difference today is the money involved and the prestige that entitles the school as a winning program. The majority of fans don't care about graduation rates over the titles won. Sad but true!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How are you a die hard uk fan and a clemfanWV ?

Apr 6, 2014, 10:24 AM [ in reply to I am a diehard UK fan... ]

So foreign to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Born and bred ....

Apr 6, 2014, 12:10 PM

Clemson but came to Kentucky for school. It's hard to service both allegiances buts possible since we are in different conferences.

The only challenges so far were the music city bowls. I pulled for Clemson in 2006 and didn't really care the second time as the Tigers had a poor ending to the season and UK pretty much stunk that year.

Good to know that Clemson is secondary to you.***

Apr 6, 2014, 10:35 AM [ in reply to I am a diehard UK fan... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: KY is all that is wrong with college basketball IMO***

Apr 6, 2014, 9:31 AM

no one was complaining last year.

Apr 6, 2014, 9:34 AM

Cals first year he took them to championship and most left. Last year he brought in new freshman and was not able to get them to play together. Very poor year by UKstandards. This year they are peaking at the right time and getting it done. For Xal to take

oops

Apr 6, 2014, 9:37 AM

For Cal to take all these freshmen that were the man all their life and mold them to play together this quickly is a tremendous coaching job.

A player's Union could fix that.

Apr 6, 2014, 11:04 AM

just sayin

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winning cures all***

Apr 6, 2014, 12:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA is lucky that the NBA D league

Apr 6, 2014, 12:37 PM

isn't attractive or viable. If it were, none of these guys would go to college at all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NCAA is lucky that the NBA D league

Apr 6, 2014, 4:57 PM

Which, to me, would be just fine. Not everyone should go to college. Having people attend who don't have education as their goal increases the cost for all attendees, and in the case of publicly assisted schools, the taxpayer as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KY is all that is wrong with college basketball IMO

Apr 6, 2014, 9:46 PM

Furthermore I've been to Lexington KY and it's not all that cool of a place.

Not a bad place by any means, but It's not a place that an 18 year old superstar athlete would think is happenin'

Just seems like ol Coach Cal might be throwing some extra benefits in those recruiting letters :)

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic