Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m sure many are in a similar boat but thinking of Dad this am.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

I’m sure many are in a similar boat but thinking of Dad this am.

Sep 21, 2019, 8:40 AM

My dad was born in 44, graduated from Clemson I believe in ‘66. Finished AF ROTC and served for a time. When I was young I remember having the IPTAY stickers on our not so luxury cars. He got out and we moved to NC. Went to a couple games every year, made it to NC State when in Raleigh and one or two home games per year. Later lived in Brevard and actually got season tickets. Then as others mentioned some darker times and he died in 2002, too young imo. And he missed out on all these golden years. Well hopefully he has his Clemson jogging suit, loafers with no socks on, and watching from “upstairs”. Wish he could have been around for this . . . And I suppose more importantly to meet my litter of his grandkids. So glad that my son will remember these times! Go Tigers and hoping we all make memories with our families of Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sure many are in a similar boat but thinking of Dad this am.

Sep 21, 2019, 8:43 AM

Nice post

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks! Will remind me how sweet it is today!

Sep 21, 2019, 8:50 AM

Go Tigers!

I was the first in our family to attend Clemson,

Sep 21, 2019, 8:51 AM

and that spawned four generations of die-hard fans, including both my parents.

I suppose both are smiling down from Heaven, reveling in the excitement of our accomplishments, and as long as I'm alive, I'll continue to encourage the wearing of the Orange to the next in line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a beautiful thing Mr. Hartins! Go Tigers!***

Sep 21, 2019, 8:52 AM

By the way, if your Dad was there in 1965 or 1966,

Sep 21, 2019, 9:00 AM

then I may have known him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By the way, if your Dad was there in 1965 or 1966,

Sep 22, 2019, 7:58 PM

I was also born in 1944 graduated in 1966

I just tmailed you btw***

Sep 21, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to I was the first in our family to attend Clemson, ]

I was blessed with a little more time with mine . . .

Sep 21, 2019, 9:02 AM

He was born in ‘33 . . . Died in the fall of 2013 . . .

He attended one semester at Clemson until Uncle Sam and Korea called . . . His blood was always Orange and gave his kids excellent guidance in its continuance!!! The family has never know another love other than Clemson!

Passing that love to my clan has been wonderfully fun . . . I know the feeling of “wishing Dad could see one more game in the Valley”!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking us there lovingit!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry folks . . .

Sep 21, 2019, 9:11 AM

Meant to share a pic or two of Dad . . . Someone on this board may have known him . . .

High School Football pic and a couple later in life, including one with his sister, Sally . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry folks . . .

Sep 21, 2019, 9:16 AM

What are you sorry? Thanks for sharing! Memories are made to be shared that way a part of loved ones live on!

Was just sorry I forgot to attach . . .

Sep 21, 2019, 9:20 AM

his photos in the original post . . . Never sorry to share memories!!!

See y’all in the Valley in a bit!!!

Sep 22, 2019, 2:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry folks . . . ]

Absolutely!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Sorry folks . . . ]

He looked like a movie star , and your mom was pretty hot .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And thankful to your dad for serving!***

Sep 21, 2019, 10:06 AM [ in reply to I was blessed with a little more time with mine . . . ]

Re: And thankful to your dad for serving!***

Sep 21, 2019, 2:04 PM

Same here! Thank you!

So was I, Skeeta.

Sep 21, 2019, 10:50 AM [ in reply to I was blessed with a little more time with mine . . . ]

My Dad was born in '25 and he was with us until late 2012. He was a '52 Clemson grad with a time-out to serve in the Korean War. He was a 61-year member of IPTAY and put 3 sons through Clemson. He was the kindest and wisest man I ever knew and I miss him every day. Still cherish the memories of over nearly two hundred game days with him.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I retired as a professional Chemical Engineer, but grew up

Sep 21, 2019, 9:03 AM

on a multipurpose farm. My dad farmed, ran a general purpose repair automotive shop, sawmilled part time. Seasonal type work, since there were times on the farm where not much was happening. I actually came back home and ran the shop myself for three years one stretch before I got married and got back into the chemical industry.

I am retired now, and spent the whole day yesterday doing repairs to a "fixer upper" pickup I just bought. Every time, for all the years of my life, that I do my own mechanic work, and save myself untold amounts of money, I think of my dad and all those skills he taught me. He has been gone since 1998, but through me he will never really be gone.

I should have added: My dad never got to attend college, was dirt poor and also got enlisted right at the end of WWII. But, he made sure that all five of us kids had the opportunity to attend college if we wanted to, and I know was very proud that all five of us did, and graduated. Three from USuK, One from Limestone College, and one, Me, from CLEMSON. A brother and a sister have also already left us, I miss them as well.

Message was edited by: 76er®

Re: I retired as a professional Chemical Engineer, but grew up

Sep 21, 2019, 9:19 AM

Man, what a great man, your dad! Sounds like you take after him.

Sep 21, 2019, 9:57 AM

I am more like him that any of my brothers. My sister always said that this is why we butted head like bull goats when I was younger, because we were EXACTLY alike. He got a lot smarter as I aged (LOL) and we were very close when he died.

Re: I retired as a professional Chemical Engineer, but grew up***

Sep 22, 2019, 1:23 PM [ in reply to I retired as a professional Chemical Engineer, but grew up ]

Quote "Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." Mark Twain commenting on the Lamecocks.

Sep 22, 2019, 1:31 PM [ in reply to I retired as a professional Chemical Engineer, but grew up ]

That you Boyd? Gerald. Two Clemson Grads from Gamecock families.

Quote "Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." Mark Twain commenting on the Lamecocks.

Sep 22, 2019, 3:09 PM

How does that work out during any game that Clemson and the coots compete against each other in???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It works out pretty well lately.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:02 PM

For me, at least. :)

I have posted a couple of stories about my dad on here

Sep 21, 2019, 9:09 AM

before...He was a coach at DR Hill in Duncan, later an elementary principal at Reidville and Duncan Elementary schools. We were like you, not poor, but not rich either. My dad was frugal. I mean, he saved every where he could. He had a VW Bug and it took a little over 11 gallons to fill it up. Gas was 23.9 cents, but if you crossed 4 lanes of traffice it was 22.9....we always crossed the traffic to save 11 cents on a fill up....Anyway, he passed away 2 years ago and yesterday I was going through his billfold one more time just to make sure I hadn't missed anything important. Well sir, I didn't miss anything, but I did find a dozen rain checks to Bi-Lo, Ingles and Food Lion as well as a plastic card to get a "Free Upsize" on a meal at Hardees....My dad was born in 1934.....The son of a Methodist minister with 3 sisters and a brother...Having lived through the Great Depression, they all knew the value of a dollar...

*** Thanks for your story. I am sure you miss your dad too!

Re: I have posted a couple of stories about my dad on here

Sep 21, 2019, 9:22 AM

Hey Spud...Is that the fella that taught you how to love fishing? If so, you are definitely carrying on the tradition!

The first time I can remember going was with my Dad and my

Sep 21, 2019, 11:43 AM

Grandfather. I was maybe 4 years old. The next time they went, they left me at home and I was crying as they got in the car. My Dad told my Mom that I would get over it in short order and be okay. Mom said I cried all day until they got home He never left me again. I fished an awful lot with him, but not near enough....

Re: The first time I can remember going was with my Dad and my

Sep 21, 2019, 1:41 PM

Your mom must have been a patient understanding woman! I am glad you were included after that!

Re: I have posted a couple of stories about my dad on here

Sep 22, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I have posted a couple of stories about my dad on here ]

LOL, nobody can teach you to love fishing. They can teach you what they know about fishing, but the love for fishing comes from how much they fish, and how it makes them feel catching fish. For me it was more about going and being in Sparkleberry Swamp down in Rimini, South Carolina. In the spring and Summer, that swamp is the most beautiful, most calming place that I've ever been, and bc I grew up loving to fish and catch fish is how I was first introduced to Sparkleberry. It is a place that just anybody can't go to without someone that knows that swamp and how to get around in there bc it changes with every season and after every storm and you can get as lost up in there as you've even been in your life. With me I have a poor sense of direction, and for as many times as my brother and friends have taken me fishing in there, I never learned my way around in enough to venture off in there by myself.

After you leave where you put your boat, you can be totally lost after venturing less than a 100 yards from where you put in at, everything looks the same, and everything inside that swamp is as beautiful of an environment as you could ever be if you love the outdoors. Some of the biggest Gators I've seen, and some of the biggest bass I've ever caught was in Sparkleberry Swamp, but I didn't dare attempt to go in there without someone who knew that swamp, and there has been many people to get missing in there and never found, just as there has been many that has gotten lost in there and wasn't found for days and even for a week or more. But if a Gator don't get you, with a Rod&Reel or a fishing pole, you can survive in there until somebody finds you, or you find somebody or you get lucky and find the river. But as far as loving to fish, that is something that just comes to one day, and you usually don't remember when that was. I know that I was just a kids when I started loving to fish. A real fisherman is someone with a lot of patients!!!

My dad was also a Depression era child. This led to some

Sep 21, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to I have posted a couple of stories about my dad on here ]

ironic things later on. I distinctly remember watching him use up about $10 worth of brass rods brazing the rusted out bottom of a galvanized water bucket, taking about an hour of his time to do the job. I remember shaking my head, but knowing better than to say anything. He could have gone to the hardware store and bought a new one for about $8 at the time. :)

Sep 21, 2019, 9:14 AM

I always think about my Daddy and my Momma on Gameday. When I was young he would load us up in his Jeep Wagoneer leave the Lowcountry about 3am to drive 4-5 hours to the game. He’d back the car into the parking space then my Momma would go to work turning a simple card table into a tailgating smorgasbord spread out over our orange tablecloth! Daddy would have a few “drinks” and we’d head into the game. I remember thinking I was so lucky to be in the “best place in the world.” My dad died too early as a hero but my precious, feisty Momma continued our family tradition! God, I was blessed and still am. Go Tigers, FIGHT!

It’s funny how much we take for granted these days.

Sep 21, 2019, 10:09 AM

Awesome story getting up early in the am to arrive and tailgate. Thanks for the story!

Younger folk APPRECIATE your parents! You will miss them

Sep 21, 2019, 9:16 AM

like crazy one day!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Younger folk APPRECIATE your parents! You will miss them

Sep 21, 2019, 9:24 AM

Amen PACIFIC BEACH TIGER, Amen!

Yeah, man....I still have my Dad but even thinking about it.

Sep 21, 2019, 9:58 AM

I called him this morning!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, man....I still have my Dad but even thinking about it.

Sep 21, 2019, 10:00 AM

I’m sure you made his day!

Re: Yeah, man....I still have my Dad but even thinking about it.

Sep 21, 2019, 10:16 AM

I hope so, he made mine!!

I'd give anything for just one more conversation with them,

Sep 22, 2019, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Younger folk APPRECIATE your parents! You will miss them ]

and one more hug. Still miss my mother's cooking too!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I'd give anything for just one more conversation with them,

Sep 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

I don't care how or who's table that you eat at, you will tell them how wonderful you thought their meal was, but in your thoughts as you're saying those words, you are thinking that nobody makes it as good as mama made it bc she was the best cook that has ever cooked a meal for you. After all, it was your moms cooking that help to develop your taste buds for whatever that dish was made of!!!

Re: I'd give anything for just one more conversation with them,

Sep 23, 2019, 8:57 AM

How true about the cooking. My mom was one of ten kids, so I had lots of aunts and uncles that we visited on a regular basis. The country cooking that was laid out at ANY of those homes, including ours, would put to shame anything you can get in a modern "country cooking" restaurant. It jes' don't taste the same as momma's (or Aunts!) home cookin'!

Sep 21, 2019, 9:55 AM

Thanks lovingit - some great remembrances by all - and an awesome start to the day for many of us in the Tiger Family!

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Go Tigers!***

Sep 21, 2019, 10:10 AM

Sep 21, 2019, 10:55 AM

lovingit® said:

My dad was born in 44, graduated from Clemson I believe in ‘66. Finished AF ROTC and served for a time. When I was young I remember having the IPTAY stickers on our not so luxury cars. He got out and we moved to NC. Went to a couple games every year, made it to NC State when in Raleigh and one or two home games per year. Later lived in Brevard and actually got season tickets. Then as others mentioned some darker times and he died in 2002, too young imo. And he missed out on all these golden years. Well hopefully he has his Clemson jogging suit, loafers with no socks on, and watching from “upstairs”. Wish he could have been around for this . . . And I suppose more importantly to meet my litter of his grandkids. So glad that my son will remember these times! Go Tigers and hoping we all make memories with our families of Tigers!

Same here man! I ask myself all the time why couldn’t they see the spectacle that is being displayed today by the Clemson Tigers! Man they had to set through some bad football ??!

They stayed the course though—amazing to think about the people

Sep 21, 2019, 11:09 AM

Who continued to give and go to the games and cheer.

Re: They stayed the course though—amazing to think about the people

Sep 21, 2019, 1:44 PM

Those folks are the ones that made Clemson special. My Daddy would be so delighted with every score and every scarce win. He’d always say, “we’ll get them next time” and he honestly believed it!

Amen..

Sep 22, 2019, 3:17 AM

Puts things in perspective

Sep 22, 2019, 6:43 AM
Dad (2).jpg(129.3 K)

This is the time of year when I start thinking of my dad also. He was born in 1918 and went through Clemson in the Army ROTC program graduating in 42 or 43, not sure which now. He went to WWII and I know he was under Patton's command in the 771st tank battalion in the Battle of the Bulge. After WWII he came back to Clemson and taught elementary school in Anderson. He was called back to duty as an adviser to the South Korean Army and was captured at the outbreak of the war when the North Koreans and Chinese attacked. He survived 34 months in a POW camp just across the border in China. Dad never talked much about either war but I know he was in the thick of both. He had 4 Purple Hearts from being shot twice in the left leg and once in the right, saw the healed wounds when I was younger, and still had steel fragments in his skull from a frag grenade. He also had two Silver Stars, one from WWII and one from Korea. Don't know what he did to earn the first but the second was for rallying the South Korean troops who began to run when they were attacked by superior forces. He was supposed to go to the VA for a checkup in January of 1986 because so many of the POWs from Korea were having heart problems because of the poor diet while they were imprisoned. He died of a massive heart attack on December 20th 1985. I remember him sitting on the den floor and if Clemson wasn't on TV he would be listening to them on the radio while he had another game playing on the TV and sometimes he would even be reading a book lol. After he died I found out more about him in Korea, than he ever spoke, by all the letters from men who were in the POW camp with him. How he saved their lives by keeping them going and not letting them give up. That's the things I remember about my dad the most. The photo is from WWII with him leaning on his tank and smoking a big fat cigar.

sounds like an amazing man. Thanks for sharing.***

Sep 22, 2019, 6:39 PM

Sep 22, 2019, 7:45 AM

GRRReat Post............to Dad!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 10:42 AM

Mt daddy passed away when I was 10, I never really knew who my daddy was with me being so young, but I remember him, and I truly regret not knowing the man that my family members has always said that I was so much like him in with the way he would react to things and how I would do things, and I've never really understood what they were saying bc I only knew him through a 10 year old kids eyes. Being so young when he passed doesn't cause me to miss him any less, I just wish that I had known the daddy that I miss. Is any of that understandable?

Definitely understandable. I can’t imagine losing a parent as a child.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:42 PM

I am thankful that I had both parents until I was a young adulT. I can’t imagine what it’d be like as a young man losing his father whether through death or leaving.

Sons of Clemson swirling in my thoughts today

Sep 22, 2019, 11:21 AM

You see, I lost my 26 year old son one year ago today. It’s taken this long to share my thoughts. Thanks, lovingit, for providing me the impetus and a thread in which to share.

I started taking Alex to Clemson games before he could walk. At 9 years old, he attended his first night game, a victory over FSU. I can still remember watching him gaze in amazement as the goalpost came down and rode the sea of fans out of Death Valley. At his insistence, we followed that ###### goalpost on foot for the next hour or so.

We cheered the team through big losses and disappointing ones during the Tommy years (West/Bowden), and he never wavered in his belief that one day Clemson would rise again to the mountaintop. “I was right, wasn’t I Dad?!!” he would say to me the morning after Renfrow’s catch.

And it wasn’t just football, we also attended numerous volleyball, track, basketball and baseball games together thru the years.

Alex wanted so bad to follow in his Dad’s footsteps and be a Clemson Engineer, but the disabilities and addiction were too much to overcome. That said, he continued loving Clemson as much as anybody I’ve known while completing a degree from Tri-County in HVAC. I had never been prouder.

I can’t go to games anymore. Perhaps again one day. I’m afraid of a complete breakdown at the stadium. Even watching a DV game from my den is an emotional roller coaster. When I see the West EZ, a tsunami of memories return and I fight back tears, often unsuccessfully.

But still, I watch every game, staring at the screen and remembering a lineage that began when my Dad introduced me to Clemson Football in the early ‘70’s. It continued through my graduation and then my daughter’s, and then Alex’s unshakable love for Clemson.

Alex lost a battle on this day one year ago that cost him his life, but he never lost the war. He fought as hard as l have ever seen anybody fight for anything. I fought at his side the entire way, so I know. We never gave up, and somehow, that means everything to me today.

On the day of the funeral, I was handed a personal letter from Jim Clements acknowledging our great loss. The letter is prominently displayed in a small memorial inside our house, next to photos, Alex’s autographed Clemson Football, and Alex’s remains. I still read Jim’s kind, thoughtful words almost daily.

I love you, my dear son of Clemson.

Where the Blue Ridge yawns it’s greatness;
Where the Tigers play;
Here the sons of dear old Clemson
Reign supreme always.

In Alex’s memory, I ask one favor today. Commit (or recommit) yourself to never give up on your children regardless how dire the circumstances. It will be the best gift you ever give yourself.

Go Tigers!
Ben

Amen - God bless you.***

Sep 22, 2019, 2:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

A father shouldn’t outlive his son. Thanks for sharing.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Sons of Clemson swirling in my thoughts today ]

And thanks for the wise words.

Sep 22, 2019, 12:18 PM

Got a lump in my throat when the C-130s did a flyover. Dad was on then while in the USAF.

Definitely know how you feel. My Father was born in

Sep 22, 2019, 2:20 PM

1922, grew up in the Great Depression, and attended Clemson in 1939-40 when it was a military school. His father died and he dropped out after one year to help on the family farm. A little over a year later, he enlisted in the Army to fight in WW2, and never returned to Clemson as a student. He was an IPTAY member and season ticket holder early on. He was there for the Frank Howard glory years, and attended several bowl games in that era. I don't remember my first Clemson football game, as I was a baby, but we never missed a home game. He joined me up with IPTAY on my 8th birthday (no Tiger Cub Club in those days). He loved everything about Clemson, and instilled that in me. I can't leave my mother out of this eaither, as she was every bit the Clemson fan as well. She and I attended Clemson football games for years after my father's failing health prevented him from going. My mother passed in 2003, and my father in 2006. Like most of us, they could not have imagined the heights to which Dabo has taken our football program, but they would be soooooo proud. Proud for Clemson, but proud of Dabo as well and the kind of man he is representing Clemson. I guess it's selfish, because I really wish they were here to see it all with ME. I don't know exactly how it all works, but I believe with all my heart that they are somehow enjoying it from a different, better perspective.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Definitely know how you feel. My Father was born in

Sep 22, 2019, 3:06 PM

I believe that if you smiling believe that Jesus Christ is truly our Lord and savior, then you actually know that your parents are enjoying the best seats over the stadiums we ever we play in, and they are loving it, Amen and Amen!!!

Re: Definitely know how you feel. My Father was born in

Sep 22, 2019, 5:57 PM

Amen - and they believed it too!

- H. L. Mencken

My dad, class of ‘60 died last month.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:08 PM

Grew up going to every Clemson game and graduated there myself. So glad we got to see us become this dominating force before he passed.
But I sure do miss him. Our weekly conversations about the last game and upcoming game are no more and that’s something I can never get back.

And those times you had together

Sep 22, 2019, 8:43 PM

Nobody can take those from you

I’m not a religious man although I do consider myself spiritual

Sep 22, 2019, 8:11 PM

I often wonder if all of the older more deserving tigers in the ballroom above haven’t put in a good word to get lil ol clemson where it is today.

So, you're saying The Baron of Barlow Bend has more "pull"

Sep 22, 2019, 8:14 PM

than Bear Bryant? I like it! :)

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic