Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wouldn't the Jets be smart to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Wouldn't the Jets be smart to

Oct 28, 2020, 1:54 PM

stick with Darnold at QB and trade TL for a bunch of draft picks that they so desperately need ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, better to pass on the generational QB for magic beans***

Oct 28, 2020, 2:02 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Jets will continue to suck with or without TL...

Oct 28, 2020, 2:30 PM

because they lack too many other pieces on both sides of the ball to build a solid team.

They need draft picks to build not one generational QB as you call him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Are you saying Trevor ISN'T a generational QB? I'll take

Oct 28, 2020, 4:36 PM

the credit, but anyone with a brain has called him that, not surprising that you don't know that

No...that's not what I'm saying...

Oct 28, 2020, 5:43 PM

but I didn't refer to him as such.

Each decade boasts its own set of greats and TL has already accumulated the statistical profile of a bonafide No. 1 NFL draft pick. While I do think he is worthy of the hype as a potential college football legend and future NFL All-Pro candidate, he still has room to improve (he can go a few percentage points higher in terms of accuracy IMO).

The last 20 years has seen a massive boom in quarterback production and profiles. Baker Mayfield, Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, Robert Griffin, Colt Brennan and Matt Leinart were some of the superstars at the collegiate level. Some went on to massive NFL success, while others were unable to replicate that success at the next level.

That said, I'm not sure I would categories TL as a generational QB...just yet. However, he certainly has the potential to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's been the #1 pick since his FR season, he's the most

Oct 29, 2020, 12:32 AM

can't miss prospect since Luck, some say since Manning...He has nothing left to prove at this level, if you can't see it, it's a you thing

Re: He's been the #1 pick since his FR season, he's the most

Oct 29, 2020, 5:00 AM

Also, the Jets may have the first pick next year as well.

Or a worse team could emerge...and ALL of this assumes he's

Oct 29, 2020, 12:31 PM

healthy for the entire season next year in a sport where health is NOT a given

Re: Are you saying Trevor ISN'T a generational QB? I'll take

Oct 29, 2020, 6:23 AM [ in reply to Are you saying Trevor ISN'T a generational QB? I'll take ]

Lol! Lawrence will not be the answer. That works in college but no the nfl. I’m trading Lawrence to build my team. Sam Darnold is not the problem there. They have nothing to help him be successful. Lawrence will face the same issues.

Re: Are you saying Trevor ISN'T a generational QB? I'll take

Oct 29, 2020, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Are you saying Trevor ISN'T a generational QB? I'll take ]

"Generational" has become over used. I'm not saying that he isn't that good, or even that the term shouldn't be used in describing him. The problem with the term is that it's become so over used that it has lost it's meaning. There is a new "generational" player every other year.

If you get the chance to draft TL you take him***

Oct 28, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to The Jets will continue to suck with or without TL... ]

He's only thinking about Clemson, he's not taking anything

Oct 28, 2020, 4:51 PM

else into consideration here, just what would benefit Clemson the most

Re: Wouldn't the Jets be smart to

Oct 28, 2020, 2:06 PM

I thought the same thing, since upgrading at QB without improving other parts of the team won't necessarily translate to more success, but it seems like the general consensus is that Trevor is too great to pass up. The Jets don't want to look back in 15 years and realize they could've picked an Andrew Luck or a Peyton Manning. Plus, picking Trevor means they could get something in return for Darnold.

Basically, the Jets would much rather have Trevor + the compensation they can get from trading Darnold. rather than Darnold + the compensation they could get from trading the #1 pick.

As much as I'd love for anybody but the Jets to slide up there, the thought around the league seems to be that he's too good for them to pass up on.

Oct 28, 2020, 3:38 PM

Andrew Luck might have been a great prospect but he is the prime example of a great prospect being ruined by the team that drafted him. With the rate these QB's are coming out of nowhere I would trade Darnold for a first, pick up Jameis Winston for peanuts and build the team then look for a QB of the future. TL is good but he cannot overcome the crappy organization and shell of a team.

Oct 28, 2020, 4:40 PM

I absolutely agree that the Colts could've and should've done more to help Luck succeed and stay healthy, but he did help them improve from a 2-14 season to 11-5 his rookie year. My only point is that TL is the same type of talent, at the most important an impactful position on the field, and a team isn't going to pass him up.

I think the ceiling on Darnold's value is a 2nd rounder

Oct 28, 2020, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Wouldn't the Jets be smart to ]

I would absolutely trade him for a 2nd and draft Lawrence though.

Re: Wouldn't the Jets be smart to- I dont think

Oct 28, 2020, 2:08 PM

Jets and smart can be used in the same sentence

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2020, 2:16 PM

The only possible scenario other than drafting Trevor Lawrence is to trade the no. 1 pick to the team holding the no. 2 pick for that pick and other goodies (next year's first rounder, etc.), and then pick a Fields/Mac Jones/some other Trubisky-like guy who the Jets believe is just about potentially as good as TL. I don't know who that could possibly be, but there are Big Ten and SEC homers out there making the case.

Passing on the no. 1 pick AND keeping Darnold will never ever happen.

Oct 28, 2020, 2:19 PM

The Bears drafted Mitchell Trubisky ahead of DW4 and Patrick Freaking Mahomes. You don't want to be the Bears.

Exactly...NOBODY wants to be the guy who traded Trevor

Oct 28, 2020, 4:40 PM

for draft capital

Oct 28, 2020, 2:18 PM

As others have said, if you truly feel that Lawrence is one of the best quarterbacks to ever come out of college football then you don't pass up on him. You may have other needs as a team, but it's much easier to find players to improve any other position on your team than it is to find a star quarterback.

Besides, there are a lot of NFL teams that are currently considered to be great teams that wouldn't be much better than the Jets right now if they lost their quarterback. Take the Cowboys for instance, they weren't a good team this year regardless due to their defense, but their offense was putting up record numbers before Prescott got hurt. Their offense was putting up 32 points per game in the 5 games Prescott played in. They've scored a combined 13 points in the 2 games since he went down.

I could get into other examples over recent years, but most, and probably all of the good NFL teams would end up with a losing record if their QB went down. The Jets might be in worse shape than most other NFL teams currently, but a great QB can make things look very different very quickly.

Oct 28, 2020, 2:23 PM

And you have Lawrence on a rookie contract for at least four years, years you can recruit free agents and pay them competitively with the money you are not paying Lawrence. The Seahawks, the Chiefs and the Rams were built that way.

Yes...

Oct 28, 2020, 2:27 PM

which is why they likely won't do it.

Re: Yes...

Oct 28, 2020, 3:12 PM

It might be the smart move to trade the pick ...... If you believe Darnold is above average (which I assume they do), then you could get a bunch of picks for TLaw . Maybe something like a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2021, plus a 1st in 2022 and a 1st in 2023.

If you used these picks wisely, you could turn your franchise around.

However, it is also possible that whilst drafting TLaw, you can also gradually build through future Drafts; plus entice free agents who want to play with him; and of course, increase your merchandise sales; increase season ticket sales; overtake the Giants as the pre-eminent NFL team in the largest market in USA; maybe even overtake the Yankees as New York's favourite team.

Look at how Joe Namath is loved in NY 50 years after winning a Superbowl. TLaw could become a "God", alongside the likes of Jeter and Messier. A well run NFL team would be foolish not to draft him and realise all this potential.

As for what the inept Jets will do, who knows?

AS much as I believe in Trevor, no team in their right mind

Oct 28, 2020, 3:27 PM

would give up THREE 1's, a 2, and a 3 to get him. :) Now, if the foot was in the other shoe, it sounds JUST like something the Jets would do, or Bill O'Brien if he was still in Houston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AS much as I believe in Trevor, no team in their right mind

Oct 28, 2020, 3:45 PM

Trade value charts such as this one (https://www.drafttek.com/nfl-trade-value-chart.asp) tend to imply that if a team had over the 20th pick this year and were confident they would finish with that high or higher than that for the next 2 years then it might make sense to trade 3 consecutive 1st round picks in their 20s along with a corresponding 2nd and 3rd in exchange for a #1. I doubt if any team would actually pull the trigger on such a deal though!

Oct 28, 2020, 5:00 PM

Wouldn't it be smart for the Jets to hire Sonny Weaver, Jr., (Kevin Costner of "Draft Day" fame), to run their "Draft Day" this year!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

which is exactly why they won't do that....***

Oct 28, 2020, 5:32 PM

As it stands right now . . .

Oct 28, 2020, 6:18 PM

The Jets will have 2 1st round Picks in 2021 . . . And 6 Picks within Top 100 . . .

If they can’t build with all those upper tier picks . . . they need to fold.

https://thejetpress.com/2020/10/05/ny-jets-sam-darnold-7-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 4:59 AM

No. Would it be smart to keep Alex Smith if you could have Peyton Manning? They ready have 2 first round picks. You take Trevor Lawrence and trade Sam Darnold.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic