Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying?

Feb 28, 2021, 8:23 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying?

Feb 28, 2021, 8:42 PM

The word was "retarded". It probably doesn't matter to a lot of people; however, I have a granddaughter with Down Syndrome and we hate this word. He apologized profusely. I believe he meant to use another word because that word did not make any sense. He was talking about some great hits or something when they were doing really good so it didn't make sense. Of course, it didn't help matter because he was never one of my favorite USC players. (Actually none of them were, but he played during those bad National Championship games.)

He’s a good dude. I’m sure it was an accident***

Feb 28, 2021, 9:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He probably meant reedonkulous.***

Feb 28, 2021, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Have seen that word show up in T-Net posts at least

Feb 28, 2021, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying? ]

twice today - any apologies popping up here?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2021, 8:43 PM

retarded. once again the idiots making something out of nothing

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just look at the post above you

Feb 28, 2021, 8:45 PM

It does mean something to people who know people with mental disabilities.

It’s a word.***

Mar 1, 2021, 4:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

No need to defend the r-word with the i-word.***

Feb 28, 2021, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying? ]

Re: No need to defend the r-word with the i-word.***

Feb 28, 2021, 9:17 PM

Any word used to define a negative condition will eventually be considered a slur.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Are we sure we're not there already?***

Mar 1, 2021, 2:25 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No need to defend the r-word with the i-word.***

Mar 1, 2021, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: No need to defend the r-word with the i-word.*** ]

pretty much this unfortunately

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2021, 8:43 PM

The word was "retarded". It probably doesn't matter to a lot of people; however, I have a granddaughter with Down Syndrome and we hate this word. He apologized profusely. I believe he meant to use another word because that word did not make any sense. He was talking about some great hits or something when they were doing really good so it didn't make sense.

Mar 1, 2021, 12:57 AM

My sister was mentally handicapped and I find the use of "retarded" extremely distasteful. Go visit Camp Hope at the CU Outdoor Lab sometime and you will will have a different viewpoint of "retarded".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Mar 1, 2021, 7:15 AM

I remember a time that everyone was free to use whatever words they chose to use. If directed an me and I took offense then a scrap ensued. If not directed at me or a loved one then we simply let the word reflect poorly on the person saying it. There were no fake apologies nor was there fake outrage. Basically everybody minded their own effing business unless personally insulted

I get it. I don't like when people use the word

Mar 1, 2021, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: What was the R-word Bouknight apologized for saying? ]

Onion.

Totally grossed me out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Bad story for "R" word but why can't it be forgiven?

Mar 1, 2021, 2:36 AM

I see people use it on the forum on regular basis. I have a home bound sister that was often called "Retarded" as I was growing up. I got into fights on the school bus with kids that used that word liberally towards my sister and I was kicked off the bus for defending her and giving the rude kids adjustments. One day I got an adjustment from my dad for not defending my sister, he was military! Then one day she dropped her books getting off the bus and the bus driver, (40yr old women) told her to hurry up ######, I told her she better shut the heck up and she told her twin nephews currently on the bus that I can't talk to her that way. So I got jumped right then and I beat the heck out of both them, (middle school, so the heck is enough for maybe little blood and they don't want anymore) then told her she won't hear the end of this. Of course she said I was kicked off the bus and my dad took me to school the next day. He knew I wouldn't lie about it because I didn't care for the adjustments. That said, my father almost gave the assistant principal that was in charge of bus drivers an adjustment. Didn't happen but it was heated, the bus driver was sent to different school, my sister was never called the "R" word again on that bus as far as I know. I also know the kids that got by with stuff behaved a lot better after their family member was kicked off that route.

Thst said, I know the announcer had no ill intentions with using that word. He was trying to give the player a compliment. I have had probably one of the worst experiences for that word than anyone on this forum but I can excuse or forgive.

But this crazy "Woke", "Cancel culture", let me take a stance and create unforgiven pain for someone that accidentally used a word out of context is so over the top.

A common poster called me retarded this very week on Tnet as a reply to a post that was exaggerated but I also completed the post by saying I knew that wasnt the case.

But that word is offensive, along with many other words, and it's caused me heartache, but I would never make an issue for the commentator when he is trying to give compliments. But I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his job, or had to take hiatus or get fined and he should not ever! He even immediately apologized but you know people won't let rest because they can get their 3min of fame and have zero ties to the verbiage

Anyway, He is probably a coot! He should get in trouble for that and not the other, wish him well.

Re: Bad story for "R" word but why can't it be forgiven?

Mar 1, 2021, 11:36 AM

I agree with all of your post. I think both sides of the "offended" and "it's just a word" can be bad about not considering the standpoint of the other side.

I think a weakness we all have as people is to not think deep enough about how certain words, actions, and situations impact others differently than it does us. I think we all too often take the stance of "you're wrong to be upset over that because I personally would never get upset over something like that."

On the other side I think people too often put someone who may have said or done something without realizing what they were saying at the time, or not knowing it could potentially be offensive into the same category as those who did or said something while being fully aware it would offend someone and not caring.

The intent behind something is too often overlooked. For instance, I had someone very close to me die due to a brain tumor. That makes me a lot more sensitive to someone making a joke when someone has a headache and telling them it's probably a brain tumor. That doesn't mean I'm going to get all ticked off though over someone doing that without realizing what I've experienced. However, if they often told the same joke while fully knowing my situation and that I was sensitive to it then I'd probably become upset.

I think this announcer shouldn't use that word going forward, but I don't think there should be any other action for him other than a quick apology which it seems he's already done. If his reaction was to go on some rant about how people get offended too easily, and that he should be allowed to say whatever he wants to say then I'd probably feel differently.

having to apologize for a word that means slow?***

Mar 1, 2021, 4:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Glad none of you have ever made a mistake before

Mar 1, 2021, 9:11 AM

Nm

Mar 1, 2021, 8:27 AM

We Todd It

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2021, 8:38 AM

Sofa king?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Mar 1, 2021, 11:22 AM

Yep. Some of these reporters ARE sofa king we todd it.

Mar 1, 2021, 12:39 PM

He said rerun. As in you won’t see him on anymore broadcast except for reruns.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get it. I've used that word a million times myself in the past and

Mar 1, 2021, 7:42 PM

thought nothing of it, I meant no disrespect. Just a joke, funny ha ha. But my attitude has changed. I've gotten involved with the Special Olympics, and think about it differently now. I recently went after a long time poster over it. OK, I was drunk, but it really hit me the wrong way. I apologized for the ugly things I said, but not the reason why. There's just no excuse for it nowadays, we should all know better.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

don't drink and TNET

Mar 1, 2021, 7:52 PM

I found that out the hard way

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic