Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What one play vs USuC do you remember most?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

What one play vs USuC do you remember most?

Nov 19, 2018, 2:55 PM

Mine was the Dantzler to Gardner catch. I was there, in the student section. They had just stabbed us in the heart with a late TD...and the place come un-glued when Gardner caught that pass...even bigger than the game winning kick that followed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What one play vs USuC do you remember most?

Nov 19, 2018, 2:57 PM

Mine is more so a moment. It was the Clemson carolina fight. I was a kid at the game but still remember it and how riled up everyone got.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm in my 50s ... too many favorite moments that I remember

Nov 19, 2018, 2:59 PM

How much time you got?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

2007 Aaron Kelly catch on like

Nov 19, 2018, 3:03 PM

4th and 7. Kelly had what you might call a drop, I thought it was a tough catch, the previous week that cost us the BC game and a spot in the ACC CG. He responds with the big 4th down and another catch to set up the winning FG.

I think he made like 4-5 receptions on that drive***

Nov 19, 2018, 3:04 PM

1st and 35***

Nov 19, 2018, 5:27 PM [ in reply to 2007 Aaron Kelly catch on like ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 19, 2018, 3:04 PM

There are many.

But this one is one of my favorites.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 19, 2018, 3:33 PM

^This one right here!^

Nov 19, 2018, 8:43 PM

On that very play, Scott squashed the 5-bomb forever as he stepped on the defender's open hand on his way into the endzone.

Renfrow beating their entire defense in one play***

Nov 19, 2018, 3:07 PM

Re: Renfrow beating their entire defense in one play***

Nov 19, 2018, 4:56 PM

That was a great one, but I still like MW7 carrying a guy on his back into the EZ.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.***

Nov 19, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Renfrow beating their entire defense in one play*** ]

Re: Renfrow beating their entire defense in one play***

Nov 19, 2018, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Renfrow beating their entire defense in one play*** ]

Causing three Gamecock defenders to tumble over themselves and look like absolute clowns trying to chase down Renfrow is truly priceless.

Charlie Whitehurst...

Nov 19, 2018, 3:07 PM

QB sneak for 1st down on 3rd and 9 to seal the deal. There are too many to count though.

Nov 19, 2018, 3:11 PM

1 & 35 with Charlie Whitehurst was amazing!

But the best -- the pair of pic-6s by Willie Underwood

Nov 19, 2018, 5:15 PM

I was at that game... only one was a pick 6.

The first interception by Underwood was when they were driving toward the hill. The toss sweep to Rogers was killing us when, for some reason, they decided to throw to the TE. Underwood caught the ball at the 11 yard line and ran it back but Rogers knocked him out at the 24 yard line. We drove it in from there and got the TD.

The second pick by Underwood was the exact same route to different TE.... Underwood read it beautifully and the int resulted in a pick 6.

I do think that first interception was also my favorite. I'll never forget that game and the excitement of seeing the team come out at the top of the hill in orange pants after having warmed up in the whites.

Awesome game which set the tone for next season's national title.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Williams wearing a coot as a backpack into the end zone. Whee!!***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

"And Whitehurst picks up the first down!"***

Nov 19, 2018, 5:29 PM

There's something in these hills.

So many good ones. Catch II my absolute favorite

but Emory Smith plowing the field at Williams Brice with a Gamecock defender was great.

Re: So many good ones. Catch II my absolute favorite

Nov 19, 2018, 4:57 PM

The Emory smith run was awesome!

Yes! The original coot draggin'! So many catches and coot

Nov 19, 2018, 7:56 PM [ in reply to So many good ones. Catch II my absolute favorite ]

draggin''s that we have The Catch I, The Catch II (aka "the pushoff" according to coots), coot draggin' I, coot draggin' II (aka "footprints"), 63-17, 27-6, 45-0, the list goes on and on and on. Annnnnnnnnnnndd...we will add to it Saturday!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 3:14 PM

Jerry Butler’s catch......I was that game....

Agree with westead

Nov 19, 2018, 3:29 PM

Butler catch. Also there in student section behind goal posts but happened on other end of field. We were falling all over each other celebrating!

Nov 19, 2018, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: What one play vs USuC do you remember most? ]

Yes Butler's catch. What made it better I was sitting with my USC Army buddy in their section. Since we each had two tickets our wives were in the Clemson section because per him "they are safer there."

Also my freshman year Rodney Rogers kicking a latte field goal to win the game in 1962

Willie Underwood’s interception. Pick 6***

Nov 19, 2018, 3:24 PM

Willie Underwood's first interception

Nov 19, 2018, 3:24 PM

Our first game wearing orange pants, also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Willie Underwood's first interception

Nov 19, 2018, 4:01 PM

This gets my vote...I was on the first row of the upper deck and almost went over the rail.

Re: Willie Underwood's first interception

Nov 19, 2018, 4:12 PM

Until that play, I had no hope we could win that game. I'll never understand why Carlen called for a pass when Rogers was running for 8 yards at a clip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whitehurst scramble to secure the win in 05

Nov 19, 2018, 3:39 PM

I know there are more glamorous plays out there, but I just remember that moment of what might happen at 13-9 with around 2 minutes left... and then just knees and victory formation after the designed QB draw.

2:12:45 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbBkVKSF08

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 3:49 PM

Renfrow taking out their entire secondary last year.

Artavis Scott trampling over the coot DB's hand, technically keeping him in bounds for a TD.

Probably more but cant remember.

Nov 19, 2018, 3:54 PM

What about Red Parker's last game ... team warmed up on the old soccer field. Nobody saw them until they were at the top of the hill. That old stadium was loud!!

DW 100 td pass for the piggy back ride.

Charlie whitehurst draw up the middle to ice the game on 4th down.

Renfrow running through the henhouse to get the TD.

Rod Gardner catch

Artavis scott TD from a one legged Watson

Most infamous... Tammy Bowden taking Reggie Merryweather out at the goal line.

Nov 19, 2018, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Re: What one play vs USuC do you remember most? ]

Going old school here back to 1974. This was Red Parkers last home game against SC and capped off the undefeated home season. Being on the sideline, I had a front row seat for Willie Anderson totally destroying SC receiver Mike Farrell after Peanut Martin intercepted a pass late in the game. Farrell was chasing and never saw Willie coming. The next thing he knew, his feet were in the air and his head was hitting the ground. I went to an after game party in Seneca that night (both SC and CU players and fans there) and Farrell was there, I asked him about the hit and he told me his jaw was still hurting from the helmet shot (it was swollen). The good old days when you could hit someone and not get thrown out of the game.

Nov 19, 2018, 8:18 PM

I ran into Willie Anderson during a game in high school...I thought that someone had planted an oak tree on the 40yd line.

2004. Midway through the first quarter.

Nov 19, 2018, 3:57 PM

Whitehurst rushes up the middle for a ten yard gain.

Go Tigers!

null

Coot taking Tilt-a-whirl ride on #7 Williams Back for TD***

Nov 19, 2018, 4:35 PM

When the state troopers had to be called in

Nov 19, 2018, 4:59 PM

Fuller to Butler in Cooterille.

It was in the 27-6 1980 game. We had a short linebacker

Nov 19, 2018, 5:06 PM

(not Shorty short) who stood up George Rogers at the line of scrimmage and threw him to the ground. Wish I could remember his name....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Oh, and there was a bill in the House to change the name of

Nov 19, 2018, 5:10 PM

the road from Greenville to Columbia from 276 to 27-6

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: It was in the 27-6 1980 game. We had a short linebacker

Nov 19, 2018, 6:03 PM [ in reply to It was in the 27-6 1980 game. We had a short linebacker ]

Was it maybe Jack Cain?

I remember the hit you are talking about. There may have been a picture it TAPS of it.

I didn't remember his name be he won the ACC Brian Piccolo award...and I looked it up. He was an undersized DB

Re: It was in the 27-6 1980 game. We had a short linebacker

Nov 19, 2018, 7:55 PM [ in reply to It was in the 27-6 1980 game. We had a short linebacker ]

Bubba Brown, maybe?

Nov 19, 2018, 5:24 PM

Willie Underwood's 1st pick of the 27-6 shocker in the Valley. I was standing under the oak to the left of the Hill, behind the handicapped seating. Had a perfect angle, saw it coming. The place went wild.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 5:24 PM

Me too! The coots behind us had been raging us thinking they had the win in the bag. After Gardner’s catch they never said a word. ??

Fuller to Butler Catch I, wife stood in line

Nov 19, 2018, 5:44 PM

to get SCar student tickets (she was 6-months pregnant with our son and 2nd year of her MSW program). Coots were silent AFTER Butler’s fantastic leaping catch! Fast forward 23 years and that son is in his senior year at Clemson and we’re at the 2000 game for Gardner’s Catch II! It started sleeting just as Hunt’s winning FG sailed through the uprights! Coot behind us sighed, “well, looks like hell just froze over!”

Extra points: who was the holder for that 2000 field goal?

Re: Fuller to Butler Catch I, wife stood in line

Nov 19, 2018, 6:36 PM

Jeff Scott. He tackled Hunt bout like he did Dabo after the natty.

Nov 19, 2018, 9:51 PM

ORANGE - you are the winner!

Nov 20, 2018, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Fuller to Butler Catch I, wife stood in line ]

Jeff Scott!

Willie Underwood INT for a TD in 1980. The Birth Of Orange

Nov 19, 2018, 5:54 PM

Pants!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 5:55 PM

Mike Williams carrying the dirtpecker for a TD and Renfrow's TD through the entire usuc defense were two of the best. Underwood's pics were awesome too.

Nov 19, 2018, 6:17 PM

David Dunham destroying Corey Boyd on kickoff and setting the tone for rest of game!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Red's last game...Scoks had 7

Nov 19, 2018, 6:28 PM

Plays from inside the 2. They'd had 1st and goal at the 2...four cracks, Tigers got the ball back. First play, fumble. Three more cracks at the end zone...decided a field goal would have to do! That and Nelson Wallace timing the snap for a punt because the center tended to move forward, then back. When he went forward, Wallace swatted the ball...it rolled maybe half way to the punter. Tigers and Red totally won the 'psych out' award that day! My last game, too, as a senior.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chansi Stuckey rambling for a TD to make it 63-17 in ‘03.

Nov 19, 2018, 6:29 PM

After upgrading myself to 50-yard line seats at WB.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My junior year, 2006 Reggie....

Nov 19, 2018, 6:30 PM

Merrieweather TD run from the Usc 17 on the last drive to seal the win.

Thanks a million Tammy.

Nov 19, 2018, 7:46 PM

1977- The Catch!

Mike Williams

Nov 19, 2018, 7:53 PM

The last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ZExxrYYAQ

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

The catch II...

Nov 19, 2018, 8:04 PM

I was lucky enough to get a sideline pass for that game.

hard to pick one..but throwing oranges on that concrete W-B

Nov 19, 2018, 8:07 PM

field in 1981 was glorious. You could get 40-50 yards of roll on them, that astroturf was so hard. When Chuck McSwain made that awesome TD run to seal the undefeated season, it was pandemonium for the Orange attired crowd that day.

There's a BUNCH of good ones in this video. The Catch, Underwood, 1981, etc.
Special Note - check out Todd Ellis' masterful play at the 8:15 mark: catch or interception by Levon Kirkland?

https://youtu.be/teYBN-CVHng

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jerry Butler and the “catch.”***

Nov 19, 2018, 8:51 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^THIS ONE. THE CATCH WILL LIVE FOREVER.^^^

Nov 20, 2018, 12:26 PM

The perfect synopsis of the rivalry. Give the Cawks a little hope, and then SNUFF THEM OUT LIKE A MATCH!

Nov 19, 2018, 9:15 PM

Same here

Hunter Renfro's "Benny Hill" skit from last years game.***

Nov 19, 2018, 9:54 PM

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic