Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What if Venebles DID leave? Exploring the topic...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

What if Venebles DID leave? Exploring the topic...

Oct 15, 2020, 6:00 PM

Every year Venebles' name comes up when HC vacancies happen. Maybe as one of the top 2 highest paid assistants (plus doing what he loves the most) is enough to keep him at CU for many years (like a Bud Foster).

At between $2-to-#2.5 million per year (certain to go higher over the next 10 years) maybe it's enough to keep him in a job he loves. Also, he might hate the idea of jumping into the HC pressure cooker. Some are cut out for it and some would despise HC duties.

UNLESS - say at an OKLA - the job comes open and they offered BV some $7-to-$8 million a year, guaranteed, for 5-to-10 years? Would he at least 'stew' about such an offer for a week or two? Maybe so. At age 49, it would be prime time to give it a look. Money isn't everything, but at some point, life-changing money becomes a consideration for most. For a few, doing what one truly loves is still the #1 motivator.

With all due respect to Dabo, Venebles' has been a tremendously integral part in the CU success story. Just pondering, if BV ever left, he COULD be replaced, but it wouldn't be at all easy. Venebles is on a whole other level.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em...

Oct 15, 2020, 6:02 PM

Coot!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Brent Venables is the best DC in the country.

Oct 15, 2020, 6:08 PM

I'm sure Dabo has a contingency plan in tge event Brent ever left, but that wouldn't be until his sons graduate from college. I iamagine Dabo has done research and has pegged an aggressive up-and-comer much like he did with Chad Morris. I don't see anyone on a high level that Dabo would go after, but frankly I think we'll win a one or a couple more NCs before BV's boys leave Clemson.

Re: I think Brent Venables is the best DC in the country.

Oct 15, 2020, 6:10 PM

If BV leaves would the guy that holds him off of the field go too?

Re: I think Brent Venables is the best DC in the country.

Oct 15, 2020, 8:22 PM

I'm going to guess that Venables and Smotherman are a package deal!

Re: What if Venebles DID leave? Exploring the topic...

Oct 15, 2020, 6:10 PM

I’m going out on a limb and saying 2-2.5 mil per year is life changing money. I do realize if you’re making that, it takes a lot more to be “life changing”.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sun would still come up the next day......***

Oct 15, 2020, 6:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2020, 6:23 PM

A view point of an old Tiger from a distance: I think Coach V loves what he is doing. It's his passion!!! And he is the best at it in the nation in my humble opinion.

As long as he and his family are respected, loved, and he is compensated well for his achievements, Clemson may be home for a while longer for Coach V and his family.

As Coach Swinney has said, "Clemson is special." For those of us that went to school there, we can concur.

Clemson grows on those that live, work, study, and play there.

Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 15, 2020, 6:31 PM

Agreed. We make another national championship this year we should up it 3mil.

Oct 15, 2020, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: What if Venebles DID leave? Exploring the topic... ]

And for those of us that spent 4 years or more trying to get out of Clemson, we spend a lot of of our adult life wishing we were back in Clemson, if only for a day. :)

Oct 16, 2020, 12:47 AM

THIS ***

Oct 16, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: What if Venebles DID leave? Exploring the topic... ]

Right you are about getting back to CU. I decided in 2011 to take advantage of no tuition for those over 60 and go back. Until this semester I took at least 1 class a semester. What a great experience to be able to be around the younger generations and be intellectually challenged.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brent Venables has ALREADY made enough money that

Oct 15, 2020, 6:35 PM

no offer he gets would be "life changing money". At this point, it really would be about, does he want to leave the best DC job in the country for an uncertain future as a Head Coach. Only he could answer that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So many here get defensive. He will leave

Oct 15, 2020, 6:36 PM

Eventually.

My question is, will Dabo hire within or go outside?

I hope within to keep the mojo going

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson would pay him $4m easy

Oct 15, 2020, 6:40 PM

To stay

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson would pay him $4m easy

Oct 15, 2020, 6:49 PM

For perspective, Mack Brown makes $750,000 per year if that list was right the other day. So, why would BV want to leave. Very few coaches make his money.

Oct 15, 2020, 7:18 PM

57 FBS head coaches make at least 2.5M. The only coach (public school) in the P5 who makes less than Venables is the Oregon State at 2.4M.

Venables could double his salary as a head coach and still not even be top 20 overall, so there's plenty of opportunity to make more money if he actually cared to do so

I dunno who said Mack Brown makes only 750k. Dude is at 3.5M

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Oct 15, 2020, 7:57 PM

Someone posted an article on coaching salaries a few days ago. I thought it said Mack’s salary is 750k. Maybe it was wrong or maybe I read it wrong. That did seem oddly low.

Oct 15, 2020, 8:00 PM

Just read over the salary list you posted tigerrag85. Thanks for posting.

Oct 15, 2020, 8:50 PM

Just curious, but exactly how much money does a man have to make to be "happy", or to feel successful and to feel compensated fairly? If coach BV takes a job as an HC anywhere, he will do so because he wants to try his hand at being a successful HC at a top, or up-and-coming program. When you're already into the stratosphere of pay scales (as most people perceive it), simply a bigger paycheck is not a motivator. Coach Venables loves what he he's doing, where he is, and who he works for. He's not going anywhere for simply a bigger pay check. Things change, yes, but not in the foreseeable future at Clemson.

Go Tigers!!!

Oct 16, 2020, 6:54 AM

$250k a year. It’s been thoroughly documented. Google it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking we might not have as much money to

Oct 16, 2020, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Clemson would pay him $4m easy ]

spend on football salaries next year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 7:04 AM

One thing is for sure is that most universities won't be looking to give raises or increase costs in any way after the losses they will all take this season due to covid limiting revenue.

Oct 16, 2020, 7:13 AM

Remember most don’t have->

Musshoot Muscoot MusChump 4-8 genius!

The light shines bright on Clemson! We have the worlds best rival!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 16, 2020, 7:35 AM

User Logo
huhud82
CU Guru [1945]
TigerPulse: 100%
What if Venebles DID leave? Exploring the topic... [2]
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 6:00 PM

Every year Venebles' name comes up when HC vacancies happen. Maybe as one of the top 2 highest paid assistants (plus doing what he loves the most) is enough to keep him at CU for many years (like a Bud Foster).

At between $2-to-#2.5 million per year (certain to go higher over the next 10 years) maybe it's enough to keep him in a job he loves. Also, he might hate the idea of jumping into the HC pressure cooker. Some are cut out for it and some would despise HC duties.

UNLESS - say at an OKLA - the job comes open and they offered BV some $7-to-$8 million a year, guaranteed, for 5-to-10 years? Would he at least 'stew' about such an offer for a week or two? Maybe so. At age 49, it would be prime time to give it a look. Money isn't everything, but at some point, life-changing money becomes a consideration for most. For a few, doing what one truly loves is still the #1 motivator.

With all due respect to Dabo, Venebles' has been a tremendously integral part in the CU success story. Just pondering, if BV ever left, he COULD be replaced, but it wouldn't be at all easy. Venebles is on a whole other level.

COACH V REPLACEMENT WILL BE MICKEY CONN IF V EVER LEAVES

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 1:06 PM

I can’t take this post seriously spelling Brent’s name incorrectly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 4:42 PM

From someone who watched Bud Foster's entire career at VT, I can tell you that you guys have a jewel in BV. I said this in another post. Cherish that cat, because as long as you can play defense, especially defense like he likes to play that can score, you are never out of a game...never.

We all know Bud may have had his vices, but the bottom line is he loved Blacksburg and the people around the New River Valley because they loved him back, and what he made at VT enabled him to live like a king, house on the lake, beer in the fridge at all times. And Bud might at one time have wanted a HC position, but as time wore on and his salary continued to rise with his reputation, I think it got to the point of "why bother" when it came to moving on. His kids had grown up here, his now grandkids had settled here, and money wasn't an issue.

You guys have a gem in BV. Keep that cat happy and Clemson will be a force for as long as they want to be. And none of this is meant as any disrespect to Dabo at all. What he has accomplished down there is dumbfounding. But BV is the glue that makes it all work the way it is supposed to when the offense sputters.

And yeah, I like defense. VT's this year makes me ill.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic