Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Updated ACC Standings/Thoughts (11/2).....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Updated ACC Standings/Thoughts (11/2).....

Nov 2, 2020, 12:57 PM

Breaking it down into tiers....

Tier 1 (Strong chance at ACC championship appearance)

1. Clemson 6-0 (7-0)- Games Left: @ ND, @ FSU, Pitt, @ VT
2. Notre Dame 5-0 (6-0)- Games Left: Clemson, @ BC, @ UNC, Cuse, @ Wake

Tier 2 (Chance at ACC championship appearance IF they win out)

3. Miami 5-1 (4-1)- Games Left: @ NCSU, @ VT, GT, @ Wake, UNC
4. UNC 4-2 (4-2)- Games Left: @ Duke, Wake, Notre Dame, @ Miami
(if UNC wins out, they would own several tiebreakers...but I don't see it happening.)

Tier 3 (Would need a lot of help at this point, but can make some noise with crazy tiebreakers)

5. Va. Tech 4-2 (4-2)- Games Left: Liberty, Miami, @ Pitt, Clemson, UVA
6. NCSU 4-2 (4-2)- Games Left: Miami, FSU, Liberty, @ Cuse, GT
(NCSU has the friendliest closing schedule if they found a way against Miami...again, I don't see it happening, but mathematically it's there, especially if UNC & VT fall out of tiebreaker scenarios)
7. Wake 3-2 (4-2)- Games Left: @ UNC, @ Duke, Miami, @ Louisville, Notre Dame
(Wake is not going to win out...however, they have won 3 in a row and are playing well...wouldn't be all that surprised if they pull an upset against a UNC or Miami.)

Tier 4 (No chance at ACCCG, but good enough to spoil it for someone else with an upset).

8. BC 3-3 (4-3)- Games Left: @ Cuse, Notre Dame, Louisville, @ UVA
9. UVA 2-4 (2-4)- Games Left: Louisville, @ FSU, BC, @ VT
(UVA had some key injuries that cost them a couple of games, but they showed Saturday that they have a little bit left in the tank this year with the win over UNC)

Tier 5 (Wait until next year, I guess)

10. Pitt 2-4 (2-4)- Games Left: @ FSU, @ GT, VT, @ Clemson
11. GT 2-4 (2-5)- Games Left: Pitt, @ Miami, Duke, @ NCSU
12. FSU 1-4 (2-4)- Games Left: Pitt, @ NCSU, Clemson, UVA, @ Duke
13. Louisville 1-5 (2-5)- Games Left: @ UVA, Cuse, @ BC, Wake
14. Duke 1-5 (2-5)- Games Left: UNC, @ UVA, Wake, @ GT, FSU
15. Cuse 1-5 (1-6)- Games Left: BC, @ Louisville, NCSU, @ Notre Dame

At this point, all signs are pointing to a Clemson-Notre Dame rematch in the ACCCG. Mainly because I'm not sure that even if Notre Dame somehow loses twice there will be another team there with 2 losses. UNC probably has another loss in them. Miami may have a couple in them as well. But who knows?

I think the ACC as a whole is much improved this season in the "middle". Teams like BC and Wake are not to be overlooked. Wake in particular at the moment. Even some bottom dwellers have had their moments this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Updated ACC Standings/Thoughts (11/2).....

Nov 2, 2020, 1:03 PM

I agree with your analysis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 1:40 PM

NC State is realistically out - sure mathematically still in it but I don't see them winning without Leary... even then I think it would be a miracle with him. Hackman was never sharp enough even last year and is just to mistake prone.

With our Tigers on the schedule, I think VT needs a LOT of help to have a chance. Realistically ND would need to at least 3 games, UNC 2 and Miami one more.... ND will have to lose to us, and then lose UNC and /or BC/Wake/Cuse

Nov 2, 2020, 2:03 PM

Yeah....NCSU is not that good a team.
But if they somehow upset Miami, the rest of their schedule has winnable games....even with their backup QB.
Let’s say they win out. Notre Dame loses to Clemson & UNC. And UNC loses to Miami.
Then you have NCSU, Miami, & Notre Dame in a 3 way tie. NCSU wins the tie by beating Miami...while ND played neither of them.
Likely? No. But it sounds less crazy than VT or Wake running the table, that’s for sure.

Nov 2, 2020, 2:59 PM

Leary was a 4:1 TD to Int QB.... Hockman is like a int machine and was the upperclassman of their stable. They benched Finley (younger) and hockman was only marginally better. Leary was the only thing making NC State win as an above average qb. Now all they are going to be torched because UNC is the example and Doeren cant right a sinking ship

Nov 2, 2020, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Updated ACC Standings/Thoughts (11/2)..... ]

VT isn't going to be there, but actually, our game with you guys notwithstanding, if UNC beats ND and you guys do, too while VT wins out up until we play on December 5th, VT would be right there with ND with 2 losses. Now our third would be to Clemson almost assuredly, and this all rests on UNC taking out Notre Dame.

I believe you guys will beat ND, Lawrence or not. That young man (not even going to try his name) is just going to get better. And honestly, VT won't win out up until Clemson, IMO. But it's fun to dream...

And on a side note, congrats to Etienne and Clemson. He is what is right about college football, and it gratifies me to see young men like him get acknowledged for the jobs they do day in and day out.

We play Notre Dame twice

Nov 2, 2020, 2:25 PM

Saturday and in Charlotte.

Might as well win them both and leave no doubt

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic