Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UGA supporter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,178

UGA supporter

Aug 31, 2020, 8:24 AM

UGA supporter and the Mainstream media are trying to create more controversy for Clemson Football. Someone by the handle Sportsbybrooks@sportsbybrooks said on Twitter: Ex-Clemson coach and CFB hall of famer Frank Howard threatened to quit if Maryland brought Darryl Hill inside Clemson's Death Valley Stadium, which had never admitted a Black person since it opened in 1942.

When Hill walked on the field, like all racist bullies, Howard cowered.

Tim Bourret came to Clemson’s defense and said the story is not true and tweeted: the President of Clemson went to the gate and brought the players mother to his box to watch the game.

Racist gawga is trying to deflect their past.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone who ever met coach Howard even once

Aug 31, 2020, 8:40 AM

knows right off the bat that's a load of BS. But this current generation and political climate will believe any load of BS that comes across their phone.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGA supporter

Aug 31, 2020, 8:59 AM

That is BS. I was a rat in 1963 and never heard about any negative comment from Coach Howard about Daryl Hill. There were less than 5K students then, and except for married ones, just about all lived in dorms. Nothing happened that we didn't hear about.

I was in the rat section for the game and didn't notice any poor fan sportsmanship towards Hill. I didn't hear about any either.

Hill was only about 165 pounds, but he was tough. He caught a short hook pass, and 230 pound Pat Crain blasted him at full speed. Crain knocked Hill about 5 yards backwards. He jumped up and ran back to the huddle.

I want to say one more thing about all this.

Aug 31, 2020, 9:24 AM

Frank Howard never cowered from a #### thing in his life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2020, 9:07 AM

Black people certainly had been admitted to Clemson games since 1942. Herman McGee likely attended every game during that period.

I know for a fact that Coach Howard wanted

Aug 31, 2020, 9:21 AM

George Webster from old Westside, an all black school in Anderson. Since he could not come to Clemson, Frank called Duffy Daughtery at Mich State and got them together. George went on to have one of the great college and later pro careers of all time. I interviewed both Frank and Webster about on the radio. Cal Stoll was the recruiter for State and later head coach at Wake, told the same story. Frank joked that he wanted Webster to go somewhere that he would not play against Clemson.Webster's number, 90, was retiered by Mich State. George's body as destroyed in the AFL and NFL. He was denied benefits by the league and died at 61.

Re: I know for a fact that Coach Howard wanted

Aug 31, 2020, 9:41 AM

I had a summer job at JP Stevens' Appleton Plant in 1966 and worked with George Webster's father. George's father was much bigger than him, and his job was moving equipment.

According to what I heard, Coach Howard told George that he was the best football player he had ever seen, and his only problem was that he was born a few years too soon to play at Clemson.

Mich State used George just like BV used Simmons last year. Not many know that George Webster was selected over #### Butkus as the best college defensive player for the 1960s decade.

Georgia has a history of a much more racially aware climate?

Aug 31, 2020, 9:28 AM

So the 1942 incident with Corch Howard is false. What is not false is that the gracious and genteel folks of Georgia elected Lester Maddox as their governor. He served from 1967-1971, was known for refusing to serve black people in his restaurant and ultimately closed his restaurant rather than integrate it. He was known for carrying an ax handle to threaten protestors and was photographed pointing a pistol also at protestors outside his restaurant. Go back in your air conditioned house Bulldog! If you want a short but interesting read, go to AJC.com and read "The political grudge Carl Sanders takes to his grave." Jimmy Carter's name may be coming off a few buildings down the road. Be careful Bulldogs if you want to throw stones our way! No doubt, Clemson University and South Carolina have had some serious racial issues and we still have issues in both whites and blacks to resolve, but if Georgia and Bama want to stir the pot to mess with recruiting by Dabo, a man I truly believe sees no color, than at least be factual.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Georgia has a history of a much more racially aware climate?

Aug 31, 2020, 9:46 AM

I just read it. It paints an interesting and not surprising Carter portrait.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2020, 11:12 AM

For those that want to read the original article that was quoted by Sportsbybrooks@sportsbybrooks you can find it here. It is a 16 year old article that is full of...let's say Non-Facts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/2004/02/01/black-man-on-a-white-field/55688ca2-fd64-4d93-9936-00445967b78f/

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,178
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic